BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 16h, 43m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 6131MB of 10831MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I am very impressed with the state of Windows 7 at the moment. It has been my primary OS since late October. Beyond being unable to print on my Lexmark Z22 printer, I haven't encountered any serious issues so far.

But unfortunately, most of the improvements feel like something from a Service Pack, not a fully fledged Windows release. I bought an upgrade copy of Home Premium two years ago for $160, and the thought of buying another copy of Windows so soon is not very appealing, considering the small pace of improvement. Faster boot times, a new taskbar, and less included software is certainly welcome, but not something to write home about. Vista is pretty decent already, and I think that Microsoft should hold off on releasing 7 until they add something truly significant and groundbreaking, much like what was witnessed in the transition from XP to Vista, or 3.1 to 95.

You may ask, "What would be something significant or groundbreaking?" I don't know, but 7 just feels too much like a Service Pack. They should make it free for those who have already dumped money on Vista.

Or perhaps, I should wait for Windows 8 and what that has to offer, while sticking with Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
It all depends on what you want, you can stay even with Windows 2000 if you want, or upgrade to the latest OS.

Microsoft releases an new Windows when Microsoft wants it, they wanted to upgrade a few things like UAC.

And again, the experience of Windows 7 may change.
Also it's 6.1, so really just an small upgrade to vista.
So it's all you're decision to upgrade or not when it's out.
You can even stick with this OS after the expiration of this build.

EDIT:
This is not recommended to stay with an OS as main desktop even at all, but also even after it has expired.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
I would get Windows 7 after several months, by then there would be fixes to the system if the first RTM build happens to be disappointing

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
I got in to the Microsoft Connect program so I might get a free copy (sometimes one is given, sometimes one isn't)
Even if I don't get a free copy I still plan on upgrading all my (viable) systems to 7

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
Ill probably get work to buy it for me.... Heck it may be time for a new laptop!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:47 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
really, the only time I upgrade to a new OS is if I buy a new machine with it installed. And since I've got all the machines I could ever need, i probably won't be getting it...

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Strangely enough, my HP printer driver didn't work in Windows 7 build 6801 x64 but it works in Windows 7 build 7000 x64. I am definitely going to get it, I can't live with vista. The move to Windows 7 is not a want but a must.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:52 pm 
FTP Access

I will definitely get Windows 7 when it RTMs but I guess Microsoft will not benefit from that :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:28 pm 
FTP Access

I don't especially like the new taskbar or the lack of the Classic Start Menu (have sent feedback asking for the Classic menu back, doubt they'll take any notice though!) and don't really need any new features, but I always want to use the latest version of an OS regardless, especially if this is meant to be more optimised than Vista as that should benefit game performance etc, therefore I will end up getting it. I'll try and find a launch event as they often give out free copies there, otherwise I suppose I'll end up buying one as it'd be hard having to go back to a pirated version having got used to having all legit copies of Vista (had more free copies (5) of Vista than I knew what to do with!), especially as there's no risk-free VLK copies any more since after XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
7600 x64
Quote:
I will definitely get Windows 7 when it RTMs but I guess Microsoft will not benefit from that :P

I have an inkling what someone is implying there :L

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:00 am 
I'll end up getting it, but it'll probably be a VLK of enterprise or something (I have legal VLK licenses for most microsoft software)

PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:14 pm 
Donator

I will definately get a copy of Windows 7, might even be the first in line w/ cash & discount coupon in hand.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:40 pm 
FTP Access

I gonna download the RTM-version when it gets out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:50 pm 
Donator

my mom gets downloads of tons of software form her college for free for getting a really high gpa and Windows 7 is on the list for future additions for the free downloads.

so im definitely getting it if its free and legal :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:50 am 
Donator

I may get it, it seems really interesting, but I want to play around with it to see whether I will get it or not, I still gotta upgrade the ram on my system before I do anything

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: When 7 launches, are you going to get it?        Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I'll get it as Business of MSDN-AA no doubt soon after the launch, but whether I'll use it is a different matter.

Top  Profile  WWW