BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 3h, 16m | CPU: 14% | MEM: 5448MB of 11735MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:43 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Yes, I have a pet hate to share with you all, and I can almost guarantee you will also have had this happen to you at some point or another. I just fixed this issue after spending about 2 hours trying to find out what the hell it was. Well, here goes...

Windows networking... Its great when it works but when it fails, its a pain in the backside. My laptop has quite a few connections to my server at home, including links to it on the task bar. Because of this, it has to "attempt" a connection to see if the resource exists. Of course in a typical Windows fashion, if it doesn't it hangs, and hangs... and hangs... until finally it either gives up or mysteriously the resource responds. Explorer kept hanging all the time, randomly, and it was becoming very annoying. It was stopping the laptop logging on until you had waited up to 2 minutes, and eventually it stopped the laptop even logging on completely.

My laptop had a shortcut to my server in the form of a menu on the task bar, and 3 network drives, 2 to my server and 1 to my NAS which hasn't been connected for months because its broken. I also had a hamachi connection to my server at home which often doesn't work when I'm at my friends house in Liverpool because his internet is, quite frankly, hopeless. These all contributed to the slowdown.

Since removing them, the laptop has worked flawlessly. It logs on instantly, it hasn't hung and it hasn't randomly crashed. So, it wasn't just coincidence, Windows networking really does just suck! Personally I've rarely had issues but when I have, they've been spectacular and a pain to sort out. Me being me, I was tempted to just format the damn thing and start from scratch, but being away from home makes that impossible. A fix was needed this time, and I'm glad I did because I now have a new insight into the problems it causes, the symptoms and how to fix it in the future.

Sorry this was a long post but I had to get this off my chest! I'm sure nearly everyone can relate to this! :)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:59 am 
Donator

windows networking.. for that mater any networking on any os can be a pain.

for some reason windows always wants to connect to my network as a public and private at the same time and they both fight and im the one who looses :/

in linux it is really hard to set up if you cant remember which of 6 passwords you use it is and you have to manually add everything...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Hopefully, networking will get fixed in Windows 7. MS is creating a new form of network called HomeGroup.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Thlump wrote:
Hopefully, networking will get fixed in Windows 7. MS is creating a new form of network called HomeGroup.

Which removes my need to a Windows Server, since it allows people to logon using global credentials like a domain.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:26 pm 
Donator

I hate how in vista it screws up if you turn your router on while windows is running well in my case it does then sees local but not internet until you go and disable and re enable in windows. I used to have to time my router to be ready for when it was up but now I am on XP so it is fine. I agree windows networking is one of the biggest annoyances I have but it's just another one of those things.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Windows XP + Novell Zenworks + Slow OES2 Server and crappy connection = very angry Bender.

The network at work is a joke. It'd be fine if the Novell software didn't randomly lock up the PCs when trying to browse the network.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
oddly enough its a MS tip to disable network drives at boot..
then after your booted connect to them >.<

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:25 pm 
FTP Access

Yeah, what ended up happening to me whenever I ran Windows AlphaBetas, it would not connect to any major LAN network until about 1 minutes after boot-time. This was a good thing for as slow as my computer was [400 Mhz Celeron], so boot times would be quick, but once it connected to a network, it would start crunching numbers like crazy and make the hard drive spin a lot. Only for a minute, but it got annoying, unless I unplugged my ethernet cord from the computer. :)

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
I never had any problems with windows networking (Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista)
My own intranet at my old school has never got any problems with windows networking though it has more then 450 apps/games running over it (every day more then 5000 connections and 20GB transfered over the network)
So if someone has problems with windows networking, ask me, maybe i know the anwser

Whistler_fan
Studing for Networking engineer

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:03 am 
FTP Access

Well, I wouldn't say I had any "problems" with it, just the fact that it makes starting up Windows slower, especially when I don't plan on using the features, you know? With a Macintosh computer, I don't think I've ever suffered performance loss with a network connection until I actually started the program. Even when connected to other computers and sharing files, the Mac OS seems to do a better job for me.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
troyoda1990 wrote:
Well, I wouldn't say I had any "problems" with it, just the fact that it makes starting up Windows slower, especially when I don't plan on using the features, you know? With a Macintosh computer, I don't think I've ever suffered performance loss with a network connection until I actually started the program. Even when connected to other computers and sharing files, the Mac OS seems to do a better job for me.

To speed up your network, disable QoS Bandwidth limiter, you can find it in GPEdit.msc > Computer Configuration icon > Administrative Templates > Network > QoS Packet Scheduler > Limit reservable bandwidth Click on the Setting tab. > Select Enabled. > In the Bandwidth limit field, type 0. >Click the OK button. > close all windows and go to network connection and click on your lan connection > Properties > Verify that the QoS Packet Scheduler is enabled > reboot, when rebooted you must see an increase in network speed

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:32 am 
Donator

What pisses me off is I can't use a static IP, but grab a DNS server from DHCP. Or vice versa. Seriously... is this 1974?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:05 pm 
Don't get me started about Wireless Zero Conf... another annoyance with Windows networking.

Gaah! If your connection drops for a while, it tries to ''re-establish'' a connection to a better WLAN.
The solution I found was to use wizmo with a shortcut to close the service, and another shortcut to re-enable it.

PostPost subject: Re: My pet hate about Windows networking on all versions        Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
I have a different o=problem - when my wireless works, its great, when it doesnt, I have to do Sytem Restore, Anti-SPyware/Virus, Reg Fixer, etc.

Top  Profile  WWW