BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 2h, 11m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5641MB of 11027MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:38 pm 
FTP Access

Hi,

I have got a new Dell Studio 15 for xmas, which has a Pentium Dual Core T3200 CPU on it and a look around the net saysthat it is a 64 bit CPU ,so I was wondering if it is worth putting Vista Home Premium x64 on it, I was wondering if it is worth the effort and if there is anything special to do for the setup procedure?

Thanks in advance

Ewan :-D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:43 pm 
Donator

nothing special about the setup just x64 version, mine as well use what you have i would say install if youve got the x64 disc.

what i've always wondered is why the heck 64 bit computers tend to come with 32 bit operating systems... wow works perfectly....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:52 pm 
FTP Access

Whats even more annyoying the the wasted HDD space on it, there is a 10 gig Recovery partition which im getting rid of as it came with about 4 dvds containing drivers, and a proper install Vista DVD, and all the trial crap, that I dont need.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:30 pm 
Donator

ewan275 wrote:
Whats even more annyoying the the wasted HDD space on it, there is a 10 gig Recovery partition which im getting rid of as it came with about 4 dvds containing drivers, and a proper install Vista DVD, and all the trial crap, that I dont need.

the 10 gig partition is for system restore feature on all windows isn't it?

its not for actually reinstalling but rather rolling back to a date (say last month before you had problems *-) ;) )

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:41 pm 
FTP Access

ewan275 wrote:

Just wipe it all and install a fresh Vista x64 on there and use the key that is stuck on the bottom of the machine, preferably using a Microsoft Vista DVD (the Dell ones are usually ok but still have some useless shortcuts and things in them so I always prefer to use an actual MS one - x64 is definitely worth having, it is stupid how nearly all machines are x64 now but they continue to ship them with 32-bit preinstalled.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:24 pm 
FTP Access

Thanks, Ive ordered a X64 DVD, and ill use the key below the battery. I think the fact that it ships with a i386 version of Vista is probably that home users are probably the most likely to use 16 bit apps and have older drivers that wont install on Vista x64.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:31 pm 
Donator

ewan275 wrote:
Thanks, Ive ordered a X64 DVD, and ill use the key below the battery. I think the fact that it ships with a i386 version of Vista is probably that home users are probably the most likely to use 16 bit apps and have older drivers that wont install on Vista x64.

there are still 16 bit apps that people use???

well if the computer is 64 bit the 64 bit drivers where made when the 32 bit ones where, probably with higher priority actaully...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows Vista x64 SP1
From what I've seen wih manufacturers this is the case unless the system has 4GB RAM in which to fully utilise requires a 64bit OS. HP, Dell, Sony etc have started issuing 64bit OSes now with their 4GB laptops. Even so your key works with both 32 and 64bit so as long as you know where to get an disc from its all good.

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit, AMD Phenom 9950BE OC to 3.01GHz, 8GB OCZ Platinum 1066MHz, 1TB HDD, BFG nVidia GeForce GTX 285 OC 1GB, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition Champion Series

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
zamadatix wrote:

That there are. I actually happen to still have and use a bunch of games meant for win 3.11 from a Windows Entertainment Pack. Some are:
Tetris
Centipede
Chip's Challenge
Taipei
Tripeaks
Asteroids
SkiFree

I also have Smoke'em Poker by Dave O'Brien, and Green Thumb Cards from Playful Minds.
I miss Windows 3.11.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:23 pm 
Donator

ive had a 64 bit computer for a long time (when xp was still the newest windows) and i just love dos box for those old games :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:32 pm 
Donator

I still say XP x64 is better than Vista x64. Hope Windows 7 x64 changes that.
I prefer 32bit os to save space. Hence I'm on XP Pro.

So who still runs these outdated 16bit apps?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
well... i'm just too lazy to install wfw 3.11 in dosbox and then hunt for the drivers it emulates, so I just use a 32-bit OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:44 pm 
FTP Access

zamadatix wrote:
ewan275 wrote:

well if the computer is 64 bit the 64 bit drivers where made when the 32 bit ones where, probably with higher priority actaully...

lol

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista X64        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
zamadatix wrote:
ewan275 wrote:

the 10 gig partition is for system restore feature on all windows isn't it?

its not for actually reinstalling but rather rolling back to a date (say last month before you had problems *-) ;) )

No, system restore does not use a seperate hard disk partition, and it would only be likely to reach 10 gigs in size with about 5 years worth of saved restore points.

That partition basically allows you to press a certain button when you boot up, and perform an automated restore process to completely wipe your computer's main hard disk of data and restore it to how it came out of the factory, and is in fact a common feature on all OEM purchased computers

Top  Profile