BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 36d, 14h, 16m | CPU: 63% | MEM: 5904MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:25 pm 
FTP Access

3rd party programs doesnt have to be windows 7 designed to show it's recent files to the taskbar. They show though only when you open them from the program (file->open) and not when clicking a file via explorer (e.g a.pdf). Discovered that with foxit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:14 am 
Donator

in 7 7000 (installed 5 minutes ago and it finally recognizes my drivers :D... except sound :/) i unpinned ie8 from the superbar and it said it couldn't find it and now i have a blank file icon on my taskbar that refuses to be deleted :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:26 am 
Donator

fusi0n wrote:
3rd party programs doesnt have to be windows 7 designed to show it's recent files to the taskbar. They show though only when you open them from the program (file->open) and not when clicking a file via explorer (e.g a.pdf). Discovered that with foxit.

How? Even if Foxit PDF Reader, the file won't show in Jump List if I opened using File->Open menu. :|

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Odd, it does for me.

Even when open or closed.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:06 am 
Donator

Alexsis wrote:
Odd, it does for me.

Even when open or closed.

What I mean is, the file is not added to Foxit Reader Jump List when I opened through File->Open menu, but it does shows up in the Jump List if I open the PDF file in Windows Explorer.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
FarCry3r wrote:
What I mean is, the file is not added to Foxit Reader Jump List when I opened through File->Open menu, but it does shows up in the Jump List if I open the PDF file in Windows Explorer.

Works either way for me.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:03 am 
Donator

Only thing I really agree with is the network icon. I absolutely love how it works in Vista and I don't understand why they felt the need to change it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Indeed, the new network icon is dull and boring, that I will agree with

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:39 pm 
Donator

i have a few more to add to my list:
sidebar is still being a [censored] :(
i just noticed inkball isnt in the game menu (loved that game as much as minesweeper)

a few things to take off my annoyance list:
internet explorer can connect to the internet :D
dotted boxes arn't on the superbar icon menu anymore :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:37 pm 
Donator

Shane wrote:
Indeed, the new network icon is dull and boring, that I will agree with

Even though the network icon is dull and boring, I somehow feel it blend nicely with the new Superbar. Hey, don't start flaming, it's just me.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
am i the only one who thinks MS is copying OSX's dock?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:49 pm 
Donator

angelwolf71885 wrote:

http://chicago.win95.googlepages.com/chic38.htm

Chicago build 38 (windows 95 beats) looks pretty similar to something... ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:53 pm 
FTP Access

Didn't the Chicago taskbar just display running applications like the current taskbar does but look slightly different (mainly being double-height), whereas the "superbar" displays running and non-running applications (ie shortcuts) together like the Dock?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:54 pm 
Donator

angelwolf71885 wrote:

You and some random idiots off the net, mostly the anti-MS crowd. Check out the PDC presentation on the Windows 7 desktop and you'll see that the superbar has been around since about Windows 1.0.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:57 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Didn't the Chicago taskbar just display running applications like the current taskbar does but look slightly different (mainly being double-height), whereas the "superbar" displays running and non-running applications (ie shortcuts) together like the Dock?

i would imagine it was long before they added quick launch icons (there in 95) if they wern't already there.

though i don't consider the ability to pin a program to a bar copying the dock.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
ddew wrote:
angelwolf71885 wrote:

You and some random idiots off the net, mostly the anti-MS crowd. Check out the PDC presentation on the Windows 7 desktop and you'll see that the superbar has been around since about Windows 1.0.

yah well being clear and displaying running and non running its not really that far a leap..
but mabe mac copyed windows for the dock from 1.0 >.<

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:49 pm 
Donator

angelwolf71885 wrote:
yah well being clear and displaying running and non running its not really that far a leap..

i personally dont like the small icons so i leave it to never group so t ahs all the features but looks classic and the quicklaunch icons stay small and you can tell them apart, even though i dont have any lol.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:40 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

To my understanding, the Superbar is indeed like the Chicago taskbar combined with Quick Launch functionality.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm 
FTP Access

Where would an annoyances thread be without me lamenting both the lack of quick launch and the utter inability to set a quick shortcut to the "My Computer" drive list which has been possible since Windows 95..?
Control panel definitely needs sorted, looks almost like it belongs in an entirely different early Longhorn build now.

Also just a weird quirk I noticed. If you install the beta in VMware, you get a list of Home/Premium, Business or Ultimate. I didn't get that edition choice on my main or secondary PC or on my Thinkpad. Bit of an odd one that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:16 pm 
Donator

STKD wrote:
Where would an annoyances thread be without me lamenting both the lack of quick launch and the utter inability to set a quick shortcut to the "My Computer" drive list which has been possible since Windows 95..?

You mean on the desktop or in explorer? In explorer you have a "Computer" entry in the left pane that expands to show your disks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:18 pm 
Donator

STKD wrote:
Control panel definitely needs sorted, looks almost like it belongs in an entirely different early Longhorn build now.

Also just a weird quirk I noticed. If you install the beta in VMware, you get a list of Home/Premium, Business or Ultimate. I didn't get that edition choice on my main or secondary PC or on my Thinkpad. Bit of an odd one that.

Dude, d'oh. Quick Launch is still there, it's just not shown by default. Right-click on Superbar -> Toolbars -> Quick Launch. At least it's there for me. and you can still select edition to install by deleting ei.cfg in source folder inside the DVD.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
STKD wrote:

Just delete the EI.CFG in the \SOURCES folder on the dvd.
Then you can choose any version.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
hougtimo wrote:
Again, Wmp11 was so much prettier.

I agree. I personally hate WMP 12. They moved everything around again, and now I can't even find features I had grown to love in 9 (which was the best version in my opinion) such as crossfading. Plus, I miss the miniplayer. I have to open the app to change/view what song is playing, and also change the position of the song. It seems as if whenever MS has something good, they have to fix what isn't broken.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I would also like it if you could make shortcuts to folders as their own icons on the superbar, rather than in Explorer's jumplist menu.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
STKD wrote:

What build did you install, I believe all builds from the PDC build onwards where designed to always install the ultimate SKU, but the first build that leaked still had SKU choices. With the PDC build and build 7000 I never saw that happen personally, it always installed ultimate.

As for quick launch, the superbar also performs as a quick launch bar, as the quick launch items like the IE icon and Windows Explorer icon still function as normal quick launch items, the Icons are just larger.

In terms of annoyances however, I am disappointed that the Graphic Equaliser has been removed from WMP12

Top  Profile