BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 20d, 16h, 11m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5814MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
I know a lot of people are hoping that Win7 will be a close to perfection *visual wise* as possible.

It's a huge step forward from Vista, and it took me a lot of time to find anything wrong at all. Unfortunately there are still little things that really do need fixing before RTM.

I don't see the point of the flag... since when has a flag symbolised "activity"

Loving the dotty border around the highlighted date...not.

This really needs an overhaul...it just looks...uncomfortable

The references to a floppy drive are fine...*if* I had one.

I don't like the transparent borders on full-screen. they should go back to the solid colours, as in Vista.

The Library Icon doesn't fit with the rest of Win7's Icons.

These are just boring in comparison to some of the other icons we've seen recently from MS.

Give me the old network notification icon please! They had it perfect in Vista.

IMO it's time the old dialog boxes were sacked.

Openoffice's jumplist doesn't show recently opened files.

The show desktop button is just....weird.

Would be nice if they updated this for the superbar

Again...just weird

This was never a good idea.

Ugly mucho.

Again, Wmp11 was so much prettier.

has anyone else noticed any little bits like this?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:11 pm 
Donator

Wow. Complaints! I agree that there's some area that need to be tweaked, but to list downs all tiny details... seems too much. Better get involved in the beta if you want your voice heard.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
i REALLY LIKE the "show desktop" button, how annoying is it trying to the "desktop" icon when you have a lot icons in the quick launch bar which you ony get if you turn on the quick launch bar, i do prefer the old network icon and agree with you about the new control panel, it feels more complicated to me, give me "classic view" anyday ( it should be the default view ! )

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:26 pm 
FTP Access

FarCry3r wrote:
Wow. Complaints! I agree that there's some area that need to be tweaked, but to list downs all tiny details... seems too much. Better get involved in the beta if you want your voice heard.

I'm like that too, the little details irritate me if they're not quite right - that's something I really like about OS X, it all feels very "polished" eg there's not 15-year old icons around from all different older versions like there are in Vista. They don't seem to take any notice of little things like that though, I sent them all in using the feedback tool in the Vista Preview Programme builds but they didn't do anything!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:34 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
FarCry3r wrote:

I'm like that too, the little details irritate me if they're not quite right - that's something I really like about OS X, it all feels very "polished" eg there's not 15-year old icons around from all different older versions like there are in Vista. They don't seem to take any notice of little things like that though, I sent them all in using the feedback tool in the Vista Preview Programme builds but they didn't do anything!

Then maybe it's up to the rest of us to fix it as Microsoft won't bother with it.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:44 pm 
FTP Access

hougtimo wrote:

I never understood the purpose of that blue narrow border since you can click in the address bar to get back to "Control Panel Home".

hougtimo wrote:

Looks like you have a floppy controller but no drive attached to it?

hougtimo wrote:
I don't like the transparent borders on full-screen. they should go back to the solid colours, as in Vista.

Or at least make it optional.

hougtimo wrote:
IMO it's time the old dialog boxes were sacked.

I guess they're trying to concentrate on the stuff people use most. Whenever an average end-user sees a dialog box now, he will know that it contains more advanced options.

hougtimo wrote:

...nor does any other 3rd-party-app that has not been adapted to Windows 7, correct me if I'm wrong.

hougtimo wrote:
The show desktop button is just....weird.

I agree, it looks like it's not part of the taskbar (well, of course it's not, but still).

hougtimo wrote:
Again...just weird

I think this is just a bug, it's not supposed to show the shadow below the box. If look at the fly-out window of available WLANs it looks much better.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Thanks for the replies...as for the pickiness of my post; to me it is really important that these legacy things are sorted out. 7 will possibly be the last NT OS and it would be great if it was PERFECT.

As for the jumplists, google chrome & my other apps are working fine with the recently used app lists...so not sure whats going on there.

For showing the desktop, i usually just hit winkey+space.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Just a couple of bits I picked up on:

Quote:

Agreed, although I set my control panel to display as a menu

Quote:
Again...just weird

You can change that to display all icons by right clicking the arrow. Personally I never liked the automatic hide option, I like all my tray icons to be viewable

Quote:

That is probably because the current version of Open Office has not been designed to integrate itself with the jumplist feature. I would imagine that for quiet a while you will see just basic menus until more application makers implement the feature in their software. That is however an issue with OO not Windows

Quote:

I don't agree, I prefer it like that

Quote:

Go into your bios, and disable your floppy disk controller. I have no FDD and there is no reference at all to Floppy disk drives in my device manager

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:27 am 
FTP Access

This REALLY irks me, the "minipane" in Control Panel. When the pane expands/collapses in & out of categories, it's clunky, even with animation turned on. Like a huge steel door that slams open and shut at about 60 mph.

I prefer the static pane the way it is in Vista. The extra space allotted is not a huge benefit, neither is the expando pane, really.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:44 am 
Donator

Shane wrote:
That is probably because the current version of Open Office has not been designed to integrate itself with the jumplist feature. I would imagine that for quiet a while you will see just basic menus until more application makers implement the feature in their software. That is however an issue with OO not Windows

If I'm not mistaken, it's not an issue with developers nor Windows. To make a document opened by OO appear on the list, you should open a document "through" Windows Explorer, not OO File -> Open menu. It just work perfectly with Google Chrome and the good ol' Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0, and the jumplist available in both Superbar and Start menu.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
Pretty much the only thing I agree with from your list is the removal of the old focus rectangle (the dotty line thing) though there is a third party dll that removes it (works in both 7 and Vista, i've been using it for along time and it works just great!)

I love the way media player works now, and I like the transparent borders in every application except media player(media player is the one application where they should turn black)

(the flag is not activity center, its action center, i have a feeling they chose it because of the old signal flags ships used to use)

Edit: the welcome center doesn't open by default on first boot any more, its probably just there for OEMs who want to use it.

One little annoyance I have is that the Action Center, Power, Network and Volume icons in the system tray are black and white, they really should be colored like every other icon in the entire OS...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
FarCry3r wrote:
Shane wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, it's not an issue with developers nor Windows. To make a document opened by OO appear on the list, you should open a document "through" Windows Explorer, not OO File -> Open menu. It just work perfectly with Google Chrome and the good ol' Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0, and the jumplist available in both Superbar and Start menu.

That explains some. I'm using Dreamweaver 2004 and it has recently used files in its jumplist...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
it seems to me like someone just wants to pick on MS..
there are only a few things i agree with
in this list....mostly the flag the network icon and WMP ( liked the full glass in Vista bedder
maybe it can be skinned to bring back glass...

but the rest of your complaints are unfounded...and we NEED advanced dialog boxes and options...personal i loved the tabbed system property's from XP and back over this dumbed down system property's control panel crap

plus if you don't like the look and feel of the OS you can do resource hacking
and re-add the vista parts you like and or miss

just my $0.02...

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Personally, I would like the option to switch back to the old taskbar. In certain ways, I find it more useful and quicker than the new one. I don't think they need to change any of the Library icons from the standard Vista icons - Windows 95, 98, ME, and 2000 all used the same icons, why must they change icons from Vista to 7? And maximized glass should be an option, not enforced...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:10 am 
Donator

If we are going to whine about the litle things in Windows 7 Betas, then I may as well bring up the big one that bugs the crap outta me.
The start menu in Vista Basic is a different colour than the taskbar, really bugs me... just doesn't look... right...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:12 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
One thing that really irks me is the difficulty in getting full paths to show-up in explorer if your using the non-classic view...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
angelwolf71885 wrote:

Absaloutely not - I quite resent that sentiment.

Windows 7 is shaping up to be a superb OS & IMO is what Vista really should have been. I just feel it is a shame for them to add so much functionality, get the interface so near to perfect but not perfect these little bugs / issues out of it.

Of course everyone is going to have a slightly different taste / need from Windows - however, regarding the WMP & system tray issue, I think these could have been designed a LOT better (I did a mockup back in the XP days of how I would have liked to see the system tray develop - don't know if anyone here saw it over at OSBA?) - they have revamped a lot of it to how I like (volume mixer / network centre) but it would be nice if they finished it off, so that the area for 3rd party apps fitted in better. WMP for me, was perfect in Vista & made great use of Aero without being too flashy and over the top. It seems they've given it a much more static (wishy-washy?) look in 7 - don't get me wrong, I like the ideas but I think it has been poorly designed.

I hope this helps to clarify my point of view better.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:56 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
hougtimo wrote:
angelwolf71885 wrote:

Absaloutely not - I quite resent that sentiment.

Windows 7 is shaping up to be a superb OS & IMO is what Vista really should have been. I just feel it is a shame for them to add so much functionality, get the interface so near to perfect but not perfect these little bugs / issues out of it.

Of course everyone is going to have a slightly different taste / need from Windows - however, regarding the WMP & system tray issue, I think these could have been designed a LOT better (I did a mockup back in the XP days of how I would have liked to see the system tray develop - don't know if anyone here saw it over at OSBA?) - they have revamped a lot of it to how I like (volume mixer / network centre) but it would be nice if they finished it off, so that the area for 3rd party apps fitted in better. WMP for me, was perfect in Vista & made great use of Aero without being too flashy and over the top. It seems they've given it a much more static (wishy-washy?) look in 7 - don't get me wrong, I like the ideas but I think it has been poorly designed.

I hope this helps to clarify my point of view better.

yah that makes it abit more clear...sorry about that...

BTW what is the flag for anyway? what dose it mark activity for?

yah its kinda god awful some of the ui chooses thay made..
but a little resource hacking with vistas elements and she should be good as new..
but im pashial to XPs taskbar networking icon...

and the wifi version is nice too...now thay just need full featured wifi info in the advanced tree and wifi will be finished.. IE signal noise history simmaler to the dell utility or maybe netstubler ip6 mac address AP mac address client mac address

but then again im a sucker for power info...and well MS is taking the low simple road -.-'

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:19 pm 
FTP Access

Luthian wrote:
-snip-
One little annoyance I have is that the Action Center, Power, Network and Volume icons in the system tray are black and white, they really should be colored like every other icon in the entire OS...

They are white when there is nothing interesting going on. E.g. when Windows discovers some WLANs the icon turns gray with a yellow star which turns into a waiting circle while connecting. The default colour is just the same as the "show hidden icons" arrow and the clock so you don't get distracted by them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:16 pm 
FTP Access

hougtimo, do you still have the mockup on how to develop the system tray back in the XP days? It would be nice to see it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
FarCry3r wrote:

Sounds likely, I open most of my files through explorer anyway, but I would imagine it will be possible for developers to code their applications to make files opened through the File > Open menus appear on the jumplist as well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:57 pm 
Donator

Shane wrote:
FarCry3r wrote:

Sounds likely, I open most of my files through explorer anyway, but I would imagine it will be possible for developers to code their applications to make files opened through the File > Open menus appear on the jumplist as well.

Yep, that would be very possible when Microsoft release the API needed to work with the Jump List. As for now, the only option we got is by opening files through Windows Explorer and not through the application menu. And oh, files downloaded and opened with web browser also is added to the Jump List.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:14 pm 
Donator

an annoyance for me is that there are 2 desktop files and i prefer to have hidden and system files shown since im messing with them most of the time and i can figure out/dont care enough to to figure out which one i can delete.

msotly im confused on how there can be 2 files called desktop.ini in one folder...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:19 pm 
Donator

zamadatix wrote:
an annoyance for me is that there are 2 desktop files and i prefer to have hidden and system files shown since im messing with them most of the time and i can figure out/dont care enough to to figure out which one i can delete.

msotly im confused on how there can be 2 files called desktop.ini in one folder...

Vista already got the two desktop.ini problem and I can't figure out why. 8-)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 - Little annoyances        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:23 pm 
FTP Access

One is in the All Users desktop folder and the other is in your Desktop folder. You can delete both of them, all that happens is that the Desktop folders in the profile folders lose their special icon and revert to the standard yellow folder icon - this problem did start in Vista (previously the Desktop folder had no custom icon so there wasn't a desktop.ini for it) so I don't know if it's the same in 7 or not.

Top  Profile