BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 22h, 22m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5551MB of 10637MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:25 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:42 pm

Posts
632

Location
c:\tmp\*

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Just wandering what people would like to see change in Win7.

Here's my list (in no particular order)

1. Would be nice if the jumplists showed recently opened files for all 3rd party apps
2. I don't see the point of having the run box anymore...as the search box on the start menu works just as well
3. I don't like the show desktop button - surely they could do something prettier, or use mouse / keyboard gestures
4. The system tray design feels unfinished - it'd be nice if MS revamped this completely
5. I don't like the logon Background - that'll probably change by RTM though (i hope!)
6. Google Chrome + firefox won't render pages properly under Win7
7. I don't like the way the superbar shows each IE tab as a seperate window...kinda makes the tabs redundant?

_________________
Cheapy cheap VPS and hosting for BA members!


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:37 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:11 pm

Posts
105
hougtimo wrote:
1. Would be nice if the jumplists showed recently opened files for all 3rd party apps

well it does already as long as you have selected the file by a windows file dialog I guess...

hougtimo wrote:
2. I don't see the point of having the run box anymore...as the search box on the start menu works just as well

I think it would be easier to leave it as it is than searching the code removing it and maybe having problems with tutorial or something like this. And I guess there're some people left who like to use the classic style with the old start menu ...


hougtimo wrote:
3. I don't like the show desktop button - surely they could do something prettier, or use mouse / keyboard gestures


hougtimo wrote:
4. The system tray design feels unfinished - it'd be nice if MS revamped this completely

It feels unfinished? I like it as it is - easy drag drop and more space for applications. The only thing I don't like is the fact that there's only one row of icons. When you move the super bar to the left or right there are two icons next to each other. So it should be possible to have 2 rows on the bottom/top, too...
hougtimo wrote:
5. I don't like the logon Background - that'll probably change by RTM though (i hope!)

I guess it will :)
hougtimo wrote:
6. Google Chrome + firefox won't render pages properly under Win7

oO I don't have any problems with these applications - do you have some screenshots?
hougtimo wrote:
7. I don't like the way the superbar shows each IE tab as a seperate window...kinda makes the tabs redundant?

Use Firefox instead *gg* No I think so too - If there are too much tabs it becomes really confusing ... and you have to click more than once to let the window appear ... Imo there should be a way to disable that

_________________
GreetZz, Sibbl

Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:51 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Posts
2381

Location
United States
everyone browser ive tried has worked right (ie8, chrome, firefox, safari, opera) so i cna back up that its probably your system.


i actually like that background on the log on screen (might reshack it into rtm)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:58 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:42 pm

Posts
632

Location
c:\tmp\*

Favourite OS
Server 2003
hmm..tried 4 different PCs and chrome or firefox won't render anything properly at all...

_________________
Cheapy cheap VPS and hosting for BA members!


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:59 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:22 pm

Posts
175

Location
Germany
I hope they'll never remove the Run box anymore. There's nothing quicker than just pressing Windows+R and typing e.g. "mspaint", "notepad2", "firefox" and here you go. I don't need the startmenu anymore. All I need is the Run box!

But I've seen the German Beta builds.. Just horrible! They still have the "Bitlocker Laufwerkverschl├╝sselung" (missing an S)...
At least they reduced the use of "Windows..." in every application but you still have "Windows Update" and "Windows-Firewall". Why not just call them Update and Firewall in Control Panel...

What also pisses me of is that they now startet scratching icons in toolbars. That's one of the reasons I dropped Windows Live Messenger and Gallery as there are no more icons JUST PLAIN TEXT in the toolbars. Why not have easily recognizable icons... No, Microsoft wants you to read text. Kind of fun if you're in a foreign language country and try to use the computer!
But on the other side they introduce the Ribbon which features huge icons and icons and icons and icons a lot.
I don't know why on the other side they remove ALL the icons and on the other side they place more than neccessary...


Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:02 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:42 pm

Posts
632

Location
c:\tmp\*

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Ensign Joe wrote:
I hope they'll never remove the Run box anymore. There's nothing quicker than just pressing Windows+R and typing e.g. "mspaint", "notepad2", "firefox" and here you go. I don't need the startmenu anymore. All I need is the Run box!

have you tried just hitting the "windows" key on the keyboard and typing an app name ;)

_________________
Cheapy cheap VPS and hosting for BA members!


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:04 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Posts
2381

Location
United States
hougtimo wrote:
Ensign Joe wrote:
I hope they'll never remove the Run box anymore. There's nothing quicker than just pressing Windows+R and typing e.g. "mspaint", "notepad2", "firefox" and here you go. I don't need the startmenu anymore. All I need is the Run box!

have you tried just hitting the "windows" key on the keyboard and typing an app name ;)


i dont know about you but that is slow as heck AND it only does things from the start menu if im not mistaken.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:09 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:42 pm

Posts
632

Location
c:\tmp\*

Favourite OS
Server 2003
zamadatix wrote:
hougtimo wrote:
Ensign Joe wrote:
I hope they'll never remove the Run box anymore. There's nothing quicker than just pressing Windows+R and typing e.g. "mspaint", "notepad2", "firefox" and here you go. I don't need the startmenu anymore. All I need is the Run box!

have you tried just hitting the "windows" key on the keyboard and typing an app name ;)


i dont know about you but that is slow as heck AND it only does things from the start menu if im not mistaken.

You are mistaken and quick as lighting here...

_________________
Cheapy cheap VPS and hosting for BA members!


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:12 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Posts
2381

Location
United States
im not on a quick as lightning ocmputer and it can take a few seconds before the result i wanted comes up :( (should've asked for ram this Christmas).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:20 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:42 pm

Posts
632

Location
c:\tmp\*

Favourite OS
Server 2003
I'm on an AXP 2200 lol - if it isn't working quickly, something is wrong.

_________________
Cheapy cheap VPS and hosting for BA members!


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:24 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Posts
2381

Location
United States
it seems that is 1.8 ghz which is the same as mine (dont knwo the chip just the speed) but the thing for me is the 512mb ram.

the desktop over in the room is dual core 2.6 ghz with a gb of ram but it just needs to be redone its so [censored] up so i never use it (except for spore i guess)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:36 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Posts
2393
sibbl wrote:
hougtimo wrote:
2. I don't see the point of having the run box anymore...as the search box on the start menu works just as well

I think it would be easier to leave it as it is than searching the code removing it and maybe having problems with tutorial or something like this. And I guess there're some people left who like to use the classic style with the old start menu ...

Is the Classic Start Menu still available in 7's Taskbar control panel out of interest (I haven't got any 7s yet)? - I hate the new "fat" ("XP Style") Start Menu and always use the Classic one as it does everything the new one does in half the space and much quicker, though it seemed they forgot about it in Vista as it worked perfectly in XP but is a bit buggy in Vista, and I was worried they might take it out completely for 7 and force us Classic die-hards to use the fat Start Menu.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:21 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Posts
2381

Location
United States
when i booted into safe mode it was there, just double high because i normally use the new superbar but you can change the setting to half height.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:37 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Posts
2393
I meant the Start Menu, not the taskbar ie like this one in Vista:

Image

Are there options in the Taskbar control panel to disable the "superbar" as well as the "XP Style" Start Menu?

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:52 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:42 pm

Posts
632

Location
c:\tmp\*

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Nope, fraid not.

_________________
Cheapy cheap VPS and hosting for BA members!


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:01 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Posts
2393
Wow, seriously? :o What does the Taskbar control panel look like now then, has the "Start Menu" tab gone from it? I really hate the XP Style Start Menu, especially how it is in Vista where the ~150 icons in my Start > Programs menu would all be squeezed into that tiny little space that you would have to spend ages scrolling through to find ones near the end rather than just go straight to it like in the "old" start menu. Also I find putting a shortcut to Computer (as in the screenshot) and navigating the rives with menus rather than windows is so much quicker, and you also can't do this with the XP Style Start menu it seems (they have a Computer icon in it, but it juts has the drives inside it and then after that you have to click on them and open a window rather than opening a menu for each folder. I'll have to get the public beta when it's out and see if there's any round it, I really don't want to have to try and get used to the new Start Menu, which to me is very illogical and slow compared with the "classic" one.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:28 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Posts
2381

Location
United States
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Wow, seriously? :o What does the Taskbar control panel look like now then, has the "Start Menu" tab gone from it? I really hate the XP Style Start Menu, especially how it is in Vista where the ~150 icons in my Start > Programs menu would all be squeezed into that tiny little space that you would have to spend ages scrolling through to find ones near the end rather than just go straight to it like in the "old" start menu. Also I find putting a shortcut to Computer (as in the screenshot) and navigating the rives with menus rather than windows is so much quicker, and you also can't do this with the XP Style Start menu it seems (they have a Computer icon in it, but it juts has the drives inside it and then after that you have to click on them and open a window rather than opening a menu for each folder. I'll have to get the public beta when it's out and see if there's any round it, I really don't want to have to try and get used to the new Start Menu, which to me is very illogical and slow compared with the "classic" one.


ever typed in in and pressed enter, or my favorite way is to skip the start menu and do it via run; type the name much much faster than the old start menu even :P.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:54 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:56 am

Posts
27
blu ray native support in media center and dvbs2 native support in media center and support for pay tv in media center, that would be a good start also in media center under movie have all movies dvds avis etc under one roof, and better album art
all this and it will be great as an htpc !!!!!


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:57 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Posts
2381

Location
United States
sunmaid wrote:
blu ray native support in media center and dvbs2 native support in media center and support for pay tv in media center, that would be a good start also in media center under movie have all movies dvds avis etc under one roof, and better album art
all this and it will be great as an htpc !!!!!


you mine as well have started a topic about what needs to be changed in windows media player 12 lol.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:15 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Posts
2393
zamadatix wrote:
ever typed in in and pressed enter, or my favorite way is to skip the start menu and do it via run; type the name much much faster than the old start menu even :P.

Nah, somehow selecting the program you want from a list of everything on your PC (I always remove all the junk that instalers put in there and just put the direct shortcut to the program in the Start > Programs folder) just seems the most simple and logical way about it, for some reason MS seem to disagree :(

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:18 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Posts
2381

Location
United States
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
zamadatix wrote:
ever typed in in and pressed enter, or my favorite way is to skip the start menu and do it via run; type the name much much faster than the old start menu even :P.

Nah, somehow selecting the program you want from a list of everything on your PC (I always remove all the junk that instalers put in there and just put the direct shortcut to the program in the Start > Programs folder) just seems the most simple and logical way about it, for some reason MS seem to disagree :(


dont worry your not the only one that disagrees on ms on some things ;)

ever tried a launch manager program? (my mom likes those but im not much of a multitasker myself, not enough ram lol)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What needs changing in Win7        Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:00 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:55 pm

Posts
120
hougtimo wrote:
Just wandering what people would like to see change in Win7.

Here's my list (in no particular order)

1. Would be nice if the jumplists showed recently opened files for all 3rd party apps
2. I don't see the point of having the run box anymore...as the search box on the start menu works just as well
3. I don't like the show desktop button - surely they could do something prettier, or use mouse / keyboard gestures
4. The system tray design feels unfinished - it'd be nice if MS revamped this completely
5. I don't like the logon Background - that'll probably change by RTM though (i hope!)
6. Google Chrome + firefox won't render pages properly under Win7
7. I don't like the way the superbar shows each IE tab as a seperate window...kinda makes the tabs redundant?


the number 3 is ok its much easier to show your desktop but you can click it on quick launch too
number 4 the system tray is ok i like it than vista
number 5 the logon screen is good i like it than vista


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS