BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 6h, 52m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5764MB of 11012MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:43 am 
Hey guys,
I would like to know if Windows 7 ( the builds) are in 'Beta'? Causing some critical errors?? Or is it stable when compared with other Betas?

PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:46 am 
Donator

i would recommend you read up on windows 7 (particularity previous post on this site) before posting some of your questions. windows 7 builds are stable for some and unstable for others, they are pre beta at the moment because they have not been tested enough for the public. so they might work or they might not.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:56 am 
Donator

zamadatix wrote:
i would recommend you read up on windows 7 (particularity previous post on this site) before posting some of your questions. windows 7 builds are stable for some and unstable for others, they are pre beta at the moment because they have not been tested enough for the public. so they might work or they might not.

There's no need to go off at someone for being a little misinformed.
EDIT: Just noticed how many Questions this guy has posted, yeah, maybe a good idea to do a little research first...

The currently available Windows 7 builds are Pre-Beta (Late Alpha)
So far these builds are stable, very stable, I'd say stable enough to be used as a main OS...
(Not that you should use a Beta/Alpha as your main OS, things can go wrong)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Well, it really depends on what people think about the word stable. Basically, Windows 7 betas are stable, but not all drivers work, not all USB devices will work in Windows 7, and not every game/program/application will work in Windows 7. But I think it's worth trying out whether a program works in Windows 7 or not...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:14 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
The short and simple answer:

If you are prepared to put up with the occasional application crash, BSOD, possible driver incompatibility, potential data loss, and potentially sketchy gaming performance, and the incompleteness of some features doesn't bother you then you can probably use a 7 build as a main OS

If you need ultimate stability, performance, and usability stay with Vista/XP/Whatever you are currently using.

Regardless of how stable the builds are, there are ALWAYS risks involved with using a Beta as a main OS, its up to you to decide if you can live with those risks

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:11 pm 
I am currently using 6956 and I havent had any problems with it so far, it is much faster than vista.

PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:12 pm 
Donator

but Win7 Build 6956 is unsecure if you use the IE8. This build doesn't include the security fix for the critical security whole in IE. For me only the Resourcen Monitor crashes often, the rest is stable

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:05 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
mystyleonfire wrote:
Hey guys,
I would like to know if Windows 7 ( the builds) are in 'Beta'? Causing some critical errors?? Or is it stable when compared with other Betas?

In it's simple form, Windows 7 is in (pre)beta

8-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Rioter wrote:
mystyleonfire wrote:
Hey guys,

8-)

or in other words, alpha.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
ct2k7 wrote:
Rioter wrote:
mystyleonfire wrote:
Hey guys,

8-)

Not exactly... It's already not alpha and not yet beta - so pre-beta ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
FiFi wrote:
ct2k7 wrote:
Rioter wrote:
mystyleonfire wrote:
Hey guys,

8-)

We have already superceeded milestones, so it's not pre-alpha. At the moment, since it is in internal testing and buildings that are "leaked", it is in alpha.
Why do you say it's not alpha?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
ct2k7 wrote:
FiFi wrote:
ct2k7 wrote:
Rioter wrote:
mystyleonfire wrote:
Hey guys,

8-)

We have already superceeded milestones, so it's not pre-alpha. At the moment, since it is in internal testing and buildings that are "leaked", it is in alpha.
Why do you say it's not alpha?

I just thought it's already something more than alpha... and everyone calling it pre-beta... ;)
Well if 700x is going to be beta than 695x is more like pre-beta already than alpha, eh?
Like with Vista - builds like 5098 were already pre-beta 1... As far as i remember Paul T. even claimed in his review of 5098 that it was official beta 1 already... (then he added note that it's not)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 pm 
Donator

im an idiot and cant find the betaarchive image uploader link so http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Develstages.svg

i know i shouldnt quote wikipedia but that image is how i thought the cycle went.

(rendering of that svg is messed up on chrome but it might be because im using a pre alpha chrome :P)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
zamadatix wrote:
im an idiot and cant find the betaarchive image uploader link so http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Develstages.svg

i know i shouldnt quote wikipedia but that image is how i thought the cycle went.

(rendering of that svg is messed up on chrome but it might be because im using a pre alpha chrome :P)

It's at the top.
But be sure to open it in a new tab, if you click it while you are posting, it goes to the uploader in the same window/tab.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Windows 7 in Beta or is it Stable?        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:48 am 
Donator

Is it really worth having a debate over weather Windows 7 is a Beta or Alpha?
To sum it up, the builds are stable, but [censored] can/will go wrong, and when it does no one will care, your pretty much on your own.
Congratulations, you've found the secret message, give yourself a pat on the back, and Merry Christmas.

Top  Profile