BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 2h, 31m | CPU: 46% | MEM: 2125MB of 4121MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Was this info helpful in any way shape or form?
YES! 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Thanks for the link to the ACPI fix, but not really. 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 9
 PostPost subject: Windows 7 and the ASUS EeePC!        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:27 am 
Donator

Hello there!

Just thought I’d show the ability of Windows 7 Build 6801. I have it running on my ASUS EeePC 900, the specs are the following:

CPU: Intel Celeron M @ 900 MHz
RAM: 1 GB DDR2
HDD: 30 GB IDE
Graphics: Intel 915GM/910GMS Chipset

Why am I posting here? I figured I’d provide a few pointers for other aspiring EeePC owners who want to run Win7 6801 on their EeePCs. So here we go!

Driver Tips:
-Install all the drivers off your EeePC recovery disk EXCEPT ACPI.

-Be sure to install the Wi-Fi driver off your disk using the setup.exe file. Windows 7 already comes with Atheros drivers, but these seem to cause intermittent connectivity.

-Install the ACPI driver from http://gekko.me/acpi.php. This enables all hotkey controls including the elusive audio buttons!

Performance Tips:
-Turn off your page file. If you have any issues with memory, turn it back on later. (I've had one with 9 IE8 tabs and WMP running, so it's a rare occurrence)

-Disable the following services:
-Offline Files
-Print Spooler
-Windows Error Reporting Service
-Windows Search
NOTE: This may vary from situation to situation, so if you aren't sure if you'll use the services or not, don't disable them!

-Disable System Restore, I highly recommend making a HDD image, as the recovery system in Windows 7 is so easy to use

-Disable Scheduled Defrag. Defrag manually, about once a week to once a fortnight.

-If you use anti-virus, disable Real Time Protection/Scanning. Scan manually once a week, and use Windows Defender coupled with UAC to cover you every other time.

-Use the integrated Disk Cleanup. It is a godsend for clearing out Shadow Copies!

GUI Tweaks:
-Don't use LCD compress mode. IT LOOKS HORRIBLE.

-You can't have Aero. I haven't been able to find let alone try the Intel Lakeport drivers yet, and there is no other workaround I have found to get aero enabled. Sad as it is, we must press on ^_^

-If you want that extra bit of oomph in your performance, disable DWM. I left mine enabled as it uses far less memory then Vista, and I like the effects I can have.

Security Tips:

-Listen to Windows Solution Centre! It actually gives good advice!

-Update Update Update! Don't be afraid to sacrifice HDD space for the updates, as one of them improves external HDD performance quite a bit.

-Windows Defender is a nice, low resource security tool. Don't be afraid to use it!

And...Well, that's all I got. Any more users out there come up with a good idea, let me know!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:06 am 
Donator

i dont have one of these but what is the boot up time on it?

you should really try 6956 and see if they made any new performance changes and enjoy any new features you can get out of it.

edit: you should really put a touch screen on it then it would be amazing :D (hackaday.com has an article on it somewhere)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:51 am 
Donator

zamadatix wrote:
i dont have one of these but what is the boot up time on it?

you should really try 6956 and see if they made any new performance changes and enjoy any new features you can get out of it.

edit: you should really put a touch screen on it then it would be amazing :D (hackaday.com has an article on it somewhere)

Boot time from Cold to Desktop is about 28secs I think?

Being from Australia, and with my current internet connection, transfers take a LONG TIME. I waited about 2 1/2 weeks for this build :cry:

I have considered putting in a touchscreen, but i'm not too big on hardware modding, and to be honest I love it the way it is!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:16 am 
Donator

no wonder its 6801 lol

for my laptop (2x your cpu but half the ram) i found 6956 much snappier so you might want to start the download anyway :P, and yes i am a bit over excited about touch interfaces lol.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:54 am 
Donator

Australia eh, what ISP are you with?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:01 am 
Donator

I would be with everybody's favourite, the Telstra (Death Star powered by NextG estimated completion in 2009).

My internet package is pretty sub par considering, but what can you do with a family afraid of technology?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:08 am 
Donator

rayle wrote:
I would be with everybody's favourite, the Telstra (Death Star powered by NextG estimated completion in 2009).

My internet package is pretty sub par considering, but what can you do with a family afraid of technology?

Aah, Telstra, with their nice reasonable prices, and world class broadband.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:38 pm 
Donator

rayle wrote:

<offtopic>Tell them you'll save more money switching to another ISP than they would save bundling phone+net+Foxtel? :P

Or just tell them about the big evil multicorporation they are, I mean hey they're taking over NZ </offtopic>

ADD: Are you on dialup or something? I downloaded this in a couple of hours on ~6mbit

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:32 pm 
FTP Access

Thanks for info about the EeePC running Win 7. I don't have a laptop yet, but I'm getting one for school, and now it looks like they aren't that bad :D

Again, off topic, but I'm with TPG ADSL 2+ and at full speed I get a download speed of 450kb/s.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:18 am 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
rayle wrote:

<offtopic>Tell them you'll save more money switching to another ISP than they would save bundling phone+net+Foxtel? :P

Or just tell them about the big evil multicorporation they are, I mean hey they're taking over NZ </offtopic>

ADD: Are you on dialup or something? I downloaded this in a couple of hours on ~6mbit

Lol they won't get close to taking NZ i mean ever since our main company Telecom was privatised ages ago when it got to broadband all they wanted to do was scr*w the country for all its worth and they only are bothering to start improvements now. There is Telstra over here but in the three biggest centres and not all places there as they never put it in most of the underground wire based places as they ran outta money awhile ago. The cities they are in some partially are Auckland Wellington and Christchurch the only south island one. (For those who don't know what the North and south island are then look here http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?near=new+zealand&q=new+zealand+wikipedia&f=p&btnG=Search+Maps&rl=1 So really those who do get it tend use it but only cause they don't wanna give telecom more money then they have to.

Yes I did find the info posted useful as I am planning to try 7 on a older PC soonish but I dunno if I can do it on my current month of usage as I have to use it sparingly.

Top  Profile