BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 8h, 58m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 2337MB of 3971MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Numbering Windows Builds        Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x86 Ultimate
Couple of months ago I started to download and install old Windows, starting with Windows 1.01.

Later, I found out that there are a lot of Builds for almost all Windows version(pre-release)

1. So I want to know how are the Builds numbered for each version?

2. Does every single build number exist?(leaked or non-leaked from 1 to 6801 or later)

3. When exactly are the build numbers reset? (If they are?)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Numbering Windows Builds        Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:33 pm 
FTP Access

igordj93 wrote:
Couple of months ago I started to download and install old Windows, starting with Windows 1.01.

Later, I found out that there are a lot of Builds for almost all Windows version(pre-release)

2. Does every single build number exist?(leaked or non-leaked from 1 to 6801 or later)

Welcome to BETAArchive!

1. Builds are numbered according to continuity. For example, if the SP1 of Vista is 6000, the Windows 7 M1 is in the 6000+ build range.
2. Yes (Build 1 [NT 3.1] to 6801 [7] {NT versions only})
3. No, unless Microsoft is working on a new product to replace Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Numbering Windows Builds        Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x86 Ultimate
Emir214 wrote:

2. Yes (Build 1 [NT 3.1] to 6801 [7] {NT versions only})

And what about Windows 3.1 to Windows ME? Are the build numbers for them counting separately from NT, or together?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
See my site for the exact buildnumbers and for wich version.

NT 3.1 began not with build 1 (see site).

Windows 1 and 2 didn't have build numbers, just version numbers.
Windows 3/95/98/ME have buildnumbers for the 3x/9x line.

The NT line have different buildnumbers, from NT4 1381, 2000 - 2195, XP - 2600, Vista - 6000, VISTA SP1 - 6001 (server 2008).

For question 2) NO, Whistler skipped 23xx line and some other versions also.

3) They don't reset buildnumbers in a line, only seperate kernels. (like 9x, NT).

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:29 am 
Donator

There isn't a specific build for each number, Microsoft likes to round up when starting somthing big.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:54 am 
FTP Access

jabster wrote:
There isn't a specific build for each number, Microsoft likes to round up when starting somthing big.

So Neptune was going to be awesome? (Build 5000+)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:14 am 
Something I found in Memphis 2185 recently, when looking for references
to subversion numbers/letters, was that it appears as though it's the final
build of 98se, before jumping the number straight to 2222 for the final,
in fact didn't they do this too for 98 1st edition, jumped from build 1900
straight to 1998...

This is the setuppp.inf in 2185
As you can see, the subversion number or letter is listed in this file...

PostPost subject: Re: Numbering Windows Builds        Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:44 pm 
FTP Access

igordj93 wrote:

Originally there were two lines of numbering: one for 9x and another for NT. They are parallel and not related each other. Neptune, acutally, stands out and there still be disputes about its build numbering.

In NT world the development doesn't take place in only one team, there are lots of teams so every team has its own copy of the code and develop its own area there. Basically you gonna to see many "winmain" (previously "main") builds, which present the common state of the product - when the approved and suffered code from all the teams is included into such a collective build. But every team compiles builds itself for testing their code before it's included into winmain. Such the builds had different nomenclature - Lab's for Longhorn, vbl's (virtual build lab) for Vista, fbl's (feature build labs) for Windows 7. If you are interested about those processes, search for some articles where Reverse Integration and Forward Integration terms are explained. Moreover, theoretically a developer can compile its own builds as well (so called private builds). So it's possible that build 6519, apart of one build (winmain) that leaked, also had been built in tens of labs by tens of developers in other labs. It's quite another matter that we will neither know all the builds compiled, nor get any of the builds. So the common talk is about winmain as most of the leaked builds are from this lab. Microsoft usually plans what builds range they will spend for each development milestone. So sometimes they simply skip some builds. For example, build 5600 was originally planned as Windows Vista RC1, this milestone within winmain was branched off as "vista_rc1" branch, so during the late "vista_rc1" builds in winmain some 57xx builds were already compiled. So we know, that the only 56xx.winmain build was 5600, and there were not 5601.winmain, 5638.winmain or any other builds. So such the situations are typical for milestone transfers during last years: many builds were skipped during Longhorn, during Vista Beta (5112 > 52xx, 5600 > 5700, some 16 builds skips during pre-RTM phase: 5808 > 5824 > 5840), during Windows 7 (6801 > 69xx).

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x86 Ultimate
Thank you guys for making this clear to me!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Numbering Windows Builds        Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Raiker wrote:

Originally there were two lines of numbering: one for 9x and another for NT. They are parallel and not related each other. Neptune, acutally, stands out and there still be disputes about its build numbering.

In NT world the development doesn't take place in only one team, there are lots of teams so every team has its own copy of the code and develop its own area there. Basically you gonna to see many "winmain" (previously "main") builds, which present the common state of the product - when the approved and suffered code from all the teams is included into such a collective build. But every team compiles builds itself for testing their code before it's included into winmain. Such the builds had different nomenclature - Lab's for Longhorn, vbl's (virtual build lab) for Vista, fbl's (feature build labs) for Windows 7. If you are interested about those processes, search for some articles where Reverse Integration and Forward Integration terms are explained. Moreover, theoretically a developer can compile its own builds as well (so called private builds). So it's possible that build 6519, apart of one build (winmain) that leaked, also had been built in tens of labs by tens of developers in other labs. It's quite another matter that we will neither know all the builds compiled, nor get any of the builds. So the common talk is about winmain as most of the leaked builds are from this lab. Microsoft usually plans what builds range they will spend for each development milestone. So sometimes they simply skip some builds. For example, build 5600 was originally planned as Windows Vista RC1, this milestone within winmain was branched off as "vista_rc1" branch, so during the late "vista_rc1" builds in winmain some 57xx builds were already compiled. So we know, that the only 56xx.winmain build was 5600, and there were not 5601.winmain, 5638.winmain or any other builds. So such the situations are typical for milestone transfers during last years: many builds were skipped during Longhorn, during Vista Beta (5112 > 52xx, 5600 > 5700, some 16 builds skips during pre-RTM phase: 5808 > 5824 > 5840), during Windows 7 (6801 > 69xx).

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions.

wicked post man, a great amount of info right there, thanx!

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW