BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 10h, 18m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 5720MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 7 and randomly deteriorating audio        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:37 pm 
I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I keep getting this crappy fizzing/popping/noise every now and then while I listen to music on my Asus N10J laptop with Windows 7 Build 6801 installed on it. This NEVER happened when I had Vista installed on it. I've tried just about everything I could think. I know of one thing that makes the sudden deterioration a little less annoying and that is to go into Sound settings in Control Panel and change the Speakers Properties Default Format to "24 bit, 96000 Hz (Studio Quality). It still pops and stuff but it doesn't sound quite as harsh. It's still pretty annoying even with this helpful little adjustment.

Now I've read that this whole ordeal seems to be caused by network activity. Chris123NT seems to believe it to specifically be caused by wireless N cards of which I do have one built into my laptop.

http://chris123nt.com/windows-7-build-6 ... cks-guide/

Quote:
Fix for Audio on Dell Laptops with 1500n Wireless Cards

We are highlighting dell laptops with this fix because that’s what Chris is running this build on, but we would imagine that this issue affects anyone who has a Wireless N card in the system, regardless of the sound card. The basic scope of this issue is that, when the wireless antenna is activated, the audio will deteriorate at random, and the deterioration of audio quality happens very quickly in most cases. The following is a workaround that I devised, based on the Dell 1500N Wireless card (other cards should have these options as well). To work around the issue, do the following:

1. Click start and type “devmgmt.msc” in the search box and hit enter (Give consent to any UAC screens)

2. Expand “Network Adapters”

3. Right click the wireless card and go to properties

4. Click the Advanced Tab

5. Click the following settings and make the prescribed adjustments:

a. IBSS Allowed – DISABLED

b. Band Preference – B/G

c. Disable Bands – DISABLE 802.11a

I do not have a Dell and so I have none of these settings when I go to the Atheros AR928 Wireless Network Adapter's properties. I tried tinkering around with the few settings I did have and it made no difference and there was nothing in those settings to disable.

Also, I can confirm that after disabling the wireless adapter entirely and switching to the laptop's ethernet NIC the crappy sound problems still persist.

I still believe it to be a network activity related issue as when I have the wireless disabled and nothing plugged into the ethernet jack I have no sound issues and things play clean as they should.

I must note that I have to do something very memory and CPU intensive in order to get the audio to crap out like that on me (for example playing Fallout 3 on this thing - yes it does work on medium-ish settings) while offline and wireless disabled. Yet the most minuscule network related activity with memory only at the load when Windows 7 has started up causes the sound to pop.

Now I might be wasting everyone's time since this might just be the crappy 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor at fault. It might be the audio or network drivers at fault since they aren't specifically written for Windows 7 despite Windows 7 supposedly working very well with Vista drivers. I've made sure I'm using the latest drivers from Asus' website but that hasn't changed anything.

Any help regarding this issue or just knowing if there are others like me with this problem would be much appreciated because really other than the audio and network issues I'm having Windows 7 has been a real blast to use.[/quote]

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:42 pm 
Donator

hmmm did they ever work well with 7 or have they always been that way?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:49 pm 
zamadatix wrote:
hmmm did they ever work well with 7 or have they always been that way?

It does this with the default audio drivers that Windows 7 comes with and with the installed Realtek drivers found on Asus' website. So no the audio always has done this on Windows 7 when there is network activity.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm 
Donator

ah that sucks, i highly doubt it will ever be fixed then.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:22 pm 
zamadatix wrote:

Quite possibly so but I figure I'd turn to here and see what more than one head could come up with. I figure that since folks are installing Windows 7 on EEEPC netbooks and a good amount of those use Intel Atom processors and since Realtek audio devices are in A LOT of notebooks I figure there might be some folks who might be experiencing the same issues if they had those in their machines. What better place to turn to than a community that likes testing beta operating systems?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:33 pm 
Donator

AcerBandit wrote:
zamadatix wrote:

Quite possibly so but I figure I'd turn to here and see what more than one head could come up with. I figure that since folks are installing Windows 7 on EEEPC netbooks and a good amount of those use Intel Atom processors and since Realtek audio devices are in A LOT of notebooks I figure there might be some folks who might be experiencing the same issues if they had those in their machines. What better place to turn to than a community that likes testing beta operating systems?

i use realtek on my laptop and this desktop and neither are having problems with it on windows 7 so it is most likely the atom processor or something to do with the way the network card is on that computer. thats about all i can offer maybe somebody else has more comparable hardware or better knowledge n soound.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:38 am 
FTP Access

Windows 7 audio is that way with some soundcards.
Mine did it too, and with any version of the realtek driver.
I loaded the driver that came with the quickrestore Cd of my compuer, the one I downloaded from toshiba (for my model), the one from realtek, and the Windows default driver.
All responded the same way, not allowing me to set any sample rate (even though I got sound) and not allowing me to record any way.
The blurry audio was also normal, it happened when my processor reached 100% on both cores.
:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:45 am 
Donator

Chicago wrote:
I loaded the driver that came with the quickrestore Cd of my compuer, the one I downloaded from toshiba (for my model), the one from realtek, and the Windows default driver.
All responded the same way, not allowing me to set any sample rate (even though I got sound) and not allowing me to record any way.
The blurry audio was also normal, it happened when my processor reached 100% on both cores.

what are you doing on windows 7 that require 100% on both cores ;) not exaclty the most stable thing to play games on so imagine it was test.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:53 am 
FTP Access

zamadatix wrote:
Chicago wrote:

what are you doing on windows 7 that require 100% on both cores ;) not exaclty the most stable thing to play games on so imagine it was test.

Well... I atcually never play games, but compiling large projects, watching movies, antivirus scans, and many things that usually take some processing power. My laptop's powerful haha, but that problem kept annoying me. I perform serious multitasking, and that hasn't ever happened on Vista, yet, on 7 it was easily heard.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
I have a laptop with a realtek .11N card and at least for my system the only way to fix the audio (In 7 AND Vista) was to disable the A band, after doing that everything works great.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:28 am 
FTP Access

Mine hasn't ever had any audio problems. Just on 7, and pointless to try to configure it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 and randomly deteriorating audio        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
This worked for me, I have the exact same card as you, it's a problem that happened to me in vista as well. There's a feature that prioritizes network speed and sound to share resources. To fix this follow the following steps

Open Registry Editor by using keystroke “Windows+R” and typing “regedit”
Navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AudioSrv
Edit the value of “DependOnService” by double-clicking the item
Remove the line referencing “MMCSS”

Go to Start-->Programs-->Acessories-->Run-->Services.msc then Disable but DO NOT STOP "Multimedia Class Schedueler" under Services, restart the system, then change the start back to "Automatic" to start the service.

Your audio should now work fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 and randomly deteriorating audio        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:37 pm 
nookupeous wrote:
This worked for me, I have the exact same card as you, it's a problem that happened to me in vista as well. There's a feature that prioritizes network speed and sound to share resources. To fix this follow the following steps

Go to Start-->Programs-->Acessories-->Run-->Services.msc then Disable but DO NOT STOP "Multimedia Class Schedueler" under Services, restart the system, then change the start back to "Automatic" to start the service.

Thanks for your help and this does sound like it would be the correct solution to my problem but unfortunately it didn't work. :(

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 and randomly deteriorating audio        Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:08 am 
FTP Access

AcerBandit wrote:
nookupeous wrote:

Thanks for your help and this does sound like it would be the correct solution to my problem but unfortunately it didn't work. :(

There's nothing you're going to be able to do. Believe me. I tried looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooots of things.
Nothing changed it.
:) Little Windows 7 problem.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:31 am 
FTP Access

I found that often while in the process of manipulation audio files that one minute the audio would be fine then suddenly it would play all distorted as if applying far to much gain. The problem seems to be resolved (at least for me) by switching from directsound or wav out to ASIO. My card has native ASIO support but I'm wondering if ASIO4ALL might resolve this problem for those without native hardware ASIO support.

If someone wants to try; http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/intro.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:40 am 
FTP Access

Well... My soundcard doesn't require ASIO. I tested this with the digital output out, the HDMI out, and the analog audio out. Even when I installed ASIO as a backup it wouldn't work nicely.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:02 am 
FTP Access

The reason I suggested it is because if the problem lies with the way Windows is dealing with the audio stream the use of ASIO bypasses that and allows applications to communicate directly with hardware. If you're using an onboard solution with rather poor latency to start with (Realtek AC97 or RealtekHD) anything that may introduce more latency or restrict available bandwidth to the audio device can be avoided by removing unecessary links from the audio chain. Of course I'm not to up on how well the implimentation of ASIO4ALL works, but I've heard good things about it. If it works well then it can only be of benefit to a system, so its not about requiring it, its about making the most of the hardware you have and making up for shortcomings in manufacturer supplied drivers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:29 am 
FTP Access

Ohh, i see.
Well. Hope it's just that!
thank you!
I couln't live with a fkd audio. xD

Top  Profile