BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 23h, 19m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 2087MB of 4561MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Will Windows 7 be the best of all releases of windows?        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:16 am 
I think This will be the best of all..
Whats ur opinion?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:22 am 
FTP Access

Isn't the aim of making new versions of Windows to make each one the best?

But yeah, I do think it will be the best (Second to Longhorn, but it was never released so it doesn't count).

EDIT: Just saw it was your first post! Welcome to BetaArchive mystyleonfire.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:32 am 
If Windows 7 will be the best of all then Microsoft won't think about updating their Windows to Windows 8. I heard that they will start working on Windows 8 after Windows 7.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:35 am 
Donator

It is far, far too early to be making judgements like this...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
iSoftech wrote:
If Windows 7 will be the best of all then Microsoft won't think about updating their Windows to Windows 8. I heard that they will start working on Windows 8 after Windows 7.

Yes, I believe Windows 8 will be a completely new OS (then again, 7 was supposed to be), refreshed completely (getting rid of all this bumf-code - the codebase for Windows 7, as we know, dates right back to 1987 or so). And that will be the last version before the Midori OS takes over.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:27 am 
Donator

marktuson wrote:
(getting rid of all this bumf-code - the codebase for Windows 7, as we know, dates right back to 1987 or so). And that will be the last version before the Midori OS takes over.

The NT line of Windows (as we all know the current line of Windows is based on NT) Dates back to 1993, Windows NT 3.1, you are thinking of the DOS line of Windows, which ended with Windows Me.
Midori is a reasearch project being conducted by Microsoft, never, have they even hinted that it will be sold commercially.
Here is an article you might want to read about Midori.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
jabster wrote:
marktuson wrote:
And that will be the last version before the Midori OS takes over.

The NT line of Windows (as we all know the current line of Windows is based on NT) Dates back to 1993, Windows NT 3.1, you are thinking of the DOS line of Windows, which ended with Windows Me.
Midori is a reasearch project being conducted by Microsoft, never, have they even hinted that it will be sold commercially.
Here is an article you might want to read about Midori.

Note that I said Midori takes over from, not updates, joins the family of, or merges with Windows. Anyway, whatever Midori is, I have read in countless reports that no new Windows versions will be released after 8 or 9. Whether Midori takes over or not, whether Windows-based applications will continue to be supported or not, the Windows name dies. Dead*.

*Subliminal message. Buy Domestos now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:10 pm 
FTP Access

iSoftech wrote:

Another point:

S. Sinofsky used to cencentrate on one aspect of Office with every release... For example, Office 2k3 was about some new tools like InfoPath. Office 2k7, however was about improving the Interface (obviously). That doesn't mean that they didn't add any functionality though.

My guess would be that it's going to be similar with the Next Windows releases.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:21 pm 
Donator

marktuson wrote:
Note that I said Midori takes over from, not updates, joins the family of, or merges with Windows. Anyway, whatever Midori is, I have read in countless reports that no new Windows versions will be released after 8 or 9. Whether Midori takes over or not, whether Windows-based applications will continue to be supported or not, the Windows name dies. Dead*.

The link I posted wrote:
Contrary to reports, Midori is not a follow-up to Windows Vista or Windows 7. Thus it should not be considered Windows 8 or Windows 9. In fact, it should barely be considered at all: More likely than not, pieces of Midori will simply end up in future Windows versions and other Microsoft products.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:05 pm 

Microsoft has always been behind of Apple (in technology, not in market). The release of Vista sure made an impact to the Microsoft's market, as Microsoft decides to stop supporting XP, users might migrate to free alternatives such as linux. To prevent this situation from happening, Microsoft has to release a better operating system to rescue itself. And I think Windows 7 is the answer. However, I won't call it the best ever as they sure could have added more innovative features into it. Besides, backward compatibilities and stability are still unknown, I won't be making any judgments this early.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:29 pm 
Donator

TheOnly92 wrote:
Microsoft has always been behind of Apple (in technology, not in market). The release of Vista sure made an impact to the Microsoft's market, as Microsoft decides to stop supporting XP, users might migrate to free alternatives such as linux. To prevent this situation from happening, Microsoft has to release a better operating system to rescue itself. And I think Windows 7 is the answer. However, I won't call it the best ever as they sure could have added more innovative features into it. Besides, backward compatibilities and stability are still unknown, I won't be making any judgments this early.

that post sounds past tense when your talking about features when they havent even goten into public betas yet!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:39 pm 
FTP Access

I'm sure it won't. The best Windows will be Server 2008 R2, just like the best one now is Server 2008.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
TheOnly92 wrote:
Microsoft has always been behind of Apple (in technology, not in market).

Have they? Personally, I don't think OSX is technically better than the NT kernel anyway, but since you say Microsoft have *always* been behind Apple... What about OS9? At the time, it was competing with Windows 2000, and I think even Apple would admit in hindsight that they were behind MS.

As for Midori, it is currently a Research Project. It's intended to determine whether a new OS based on the .NET system could really be used in the same scenarios as Windows. However, Research Projects, once complete, can go on to become a commercial project. While the name may change, and some features may be dropped or changed, the core will almost certainly be retained, and any commercial project following the same idea as Midori, will almost certainly use Midori as it's starting point.

So while we may never see Midori as such, we'll probably see a commercial version of Midori some day.

Creating an OS that can match the Windows NT Kernel is going to take some time. And when it comes, no doubt Microsoft will use the opportunity to completely overhaul other areas of the architecture.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
jabster wrote:
marktuson wrote:

The link I posted wrote:
Contrary to reports, Midori is not a follow-up to Windows Vista or Windows 7. Thus it should not be considered Windows 8 or Windows 9. In fact, it should barely be considered at all: More likely than not, pieces of Midori will simply end up in future Windows versions and other Microsoft products.

An OS of a completely different nature and architecture can't follow up a more 'traditional' system. If I had a company that sold a DOS-clone, that then ditched that line and replaced it with a UNIX-clone, would not be producing a follow-up. It would be producing a replacement.

And as I have said, I'm not considering it Windows-anything; I'm considering it (like I have just said) as a potential replacement or even an alternate option, to be offered alongside Windows.

Please note: all words are important in a sentence - read and take note of all of them, and you can completely and fully understand the meaning of anything anyone says to you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
I think XP was the best up to now. Good combination between home and work.

I don't know about 7, it is too early for that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:25 am 
FTP Access

Based on the pre-beta, I think this will easily be the best OS that Microsoft has put out. Driver compatibility is amazing OOTB, and the interface is cleaner and more optimized. This is really what Vista was trying to be.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:44 pm 
FTP Access

I think that Windows 7 will be the best OS to date assuming Microsoft fixes all of the problems and customer complaints found in Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:50 pm 
i think we just have to wait for the final release of windows 7 to make that judgement.. even when that happens, there are many things to consider if we want to call it as the best OS of all..

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:40 pm 
FTP Access

I think it's too premature to think about "The best Windows Edition"
See it this way. What if suddenly Microsoft decides that the new bar is not as good as it must, and they morph / remove it. (The same way that happened with Windows Chicago), so we must evaluate it into a present day. Enjoy it now, and after that, when we start seeing where Windows 7 is going to we might start speculating if we'll migrate. I think at least we must wait for the Betas so that we can see if it's worth it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:09 am 
i think too

it will better than vista :D

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:10 am 
i think it will be better then vista but they will always find a way to make things better or atleast in there mind. some things we may not like though its kind of a two way street i guess

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:55 am 
FTP Access

I think Windows 7 is not the best.

Microsoft has promised us many great things which eventually bit the dust. Watching from the sidelines, every Windows release has seemed to be less and less exciting.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I think that it will be better then Vista, the virtual folders are a great feature, So I'm quite happy running 6801 as my main, but MS has to work on the superbar, Right now it sucks

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:34 pm 
I really like build 6801, it's a pre-beta build so the COM Surrogate bug is likely going to be fixed.

On Topic: I think Windows 7 will be the best Windows version until Windows 8 (or whatever it's going to be named) is released.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:27 pm 
Donator

Windows XP is nearly perfect, but i think it is the best one
Windows Vista sucked me, because of the Hardware Settings and it is so slow
I get the Windows 7 Build 6801 x64 and was surprised, it's faster than Vista and as a Alpha Version this results are very good

Top  Profile