BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 1h, 33m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 2208MB of 3035MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

What type of Windows License do you use?
OEM System Builder 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
OEM SLP 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
OEM Other 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
VLK Genuine 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
VLK Pirated 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Retail 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Invalid 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
MSDN 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
TechNet 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
MSDNAA 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Other 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Complimentary 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 38
 PostPost subject: What type of license do you have?        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
I am doing a survey of what type of license people are using.

Last edited by motherboardlove on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
7 Ultimate 64bit
Ive used my retail and ive also been a little naughty in the past and have used vista developers activation. But currently I'm using my Windows Vista Ultimate disc and Key that I won in a competition :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:54 pm 
Donator

Windows XP SP1 Genuine VLK Media and Windows Vista Ultimate SLP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Windows XP Professional OEM SP2 on all the PCs, with a Windows XP VL, also legit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:26 am 
Donator

OEM system builder Vista. But using VLK XP at the moment. Though I voted OEM system builder.
The VLK is somewhat legit but I wont go into details.

Last edited by win98 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
win98 wrote:
OEM system builder Vista. But using VLK XP at the moment. Though I voted OEM system builder.
The VLK is somewhat legit as someone in my family works in the education sector and gets 1 installation of VLK XP at home if they want it I took it since they didn't need it themselves but were ok with getting it for me.

Thats actually a violation of the Microsoft Volume Licensing Campus Agreement.

You can only use it in your organization's computers, unless you are a Microsoft Certified Partner, in which, for every licenses you have, half may be used by non-organization computers, but only by employees.

Windows OCManage wrote:
Windows XP SP1 Genuine VLK Media and Windows Vista Ultimate SLP.

Me too! I never have to deal with activation, because I have office 2003, 2007, Vista, XP, and Office XP VLKs, and for Vista, I search for the manufacturer's SLP key.

-------------------

By the way - where do you get your VLKs? I got mine from MSDN, another one from a MS agreement (eOpen)

Last edited by motherboardlove on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:08 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Vista Home Basic & Professional SP1 OEM, and XP Home Edition OEM.

Last edited by skyline31 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:41 am 
Donator

Well looks like im meant to be deleting XP then to stay in limits of their licenese agreement. Whoever said the staff their could have free xp must have been talking bull. Thats unless they are a Microsoft Certified Partner I don't really care to be honest as I was planning on fully going vista soon anyway.
I edited the my original post for liability issues. Either way I am in no hurry to go fully vista.

Last edited by win98 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:59 am 
FTP Access

Currently I'm running XP Pro and Vista Business that I got from MSDN AA (or w/e they call it now). So I don't know exactly what type of key it is.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of license do you have?        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:20 am 
Donator

motherboardlove wrote:

That kind of sounds like someone working at Microsoft looking for pirated copies of Windows would say.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of license do you have?        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:00 am 
Donator

mdogg wrote:
motherboardlove wrote:

That kind of sounds like someone working at Microsoft looking for pirated copies of Windows would say.

Maybe he is I mean he knew alot about the MS licensing and had a go at me when I said I got XP through a family member who got offered VLK at work. Hes most likley trying to collect info on who has what possibly to try and go hard on the pirates. Which I do not beleive i'm part of.
Edit: Not to accuse anyone of anything but he does have technet and that is a MS service and according to one of his previous posts in another topic I found after looking up his user name. Are we on to an MS spy. Also he said he had subscriptions he got from previous jobs to tech net MSDN and e Open and gets all his software from there which would explain all his VLK's

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:14 am 
FTP Access

I got some OEM System Builder licences... but i am kinda moving to MSDNAA now...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:27 am 
FTP Access

Retail for Windows Vista SP1
&
Promotional Evaluation 365-days license for Windows Server 2k8

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of license do you have?        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:48 am 
FTP Access

Don't get too neurotic!
Quote "Maybe he is I mean he knew a lot about the MS licensing and had a go at me when I said I got XP through a family member who got offered VLK at work. He's most likely trying to collect info on who has what, possibly to try and go hard on the pirates, which I do not believe i'm part of.
Edit: Not to accuse anyone of anything but he does have technet and that is an MS service and according to one of his previous posts in another topic I found, after looking up his user name. Are we on to an MS spy. "

I also have a Technet subscription and am also an MS partner. This does not prohibit me from being interested in Computer forums as often useful tips and observations can be gained.
Microsoft have plants on most of the more relevant sites. The aim is, of course, to spot flagrant pirating opportunities, but also merely to monitor useage behaviour in a wide perspective.
The coverage is so large that I would imagine many flagrant breaking of rules goes, either undetected, or ignored, due to the immense amount of work, legal and otherwise, that would subsequently created.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of license do you have?        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS 7
motherboardlove wrote:

I think this should have been Multiple Choice ...

I have OEM - aka Dell Recovery CD's
I have Retail x64 Windows XP
I have an MS Action Pack ... not quite retail or MSDN ... but stuff requires activation
I have VLK - Contents aquired ... but not from Pirate Sites where 10.000 people are sharing PID's
I have MSDN CD's that were dups ...

If you can't prove it didn't happen then it must be true and you are probably part of the cover-up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of license do you have?        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
win98 wrote:
mdogg wrote:
motherboardlove wrote:

Maybe he is I mean he knew alot about the MS licensing and had a go at me when I said I got XP through a family member who got offered VLK at work. Hes most likley trying to collect info on who has what possibly to try and go hard on the pirates. Which I do not beleive i'm part of.
Edit: Not to accuse anyone of anything but he does have technet and that is a MS service and according to one of his previous posts in another topic I found after looking up his user name. Are we on to an MS spy. Also he said he had subscriptions he got from previous jobs to tech net MSDN and e Open and gets all his software from there which would explain all his VLK's

I'm not a spy. I used to work for MS, and a MS Gold Certifed Partner. Thats about all. Anyways, I cant see who voted what, and it probably wouldn't matter, because MS doesn't go after personal pirates, only resellers.

And oh yea - if I was a spy, then wouldn't I have reported your FTP yet? No. I haven't, and I never plan to.

*sarcastic* Oh yea - Im a spy for MS! Im gonna hack into the BA server to see who voted what! Im gonna add a mod to the site, that run WGA and OGA, and if you have a pirated version, its automatically gonna fill out a pre-lawsuit notice and send it to you!

And make sure you don't accidentally lend your CD to your buddy, because I'm watching, and I'll call the police!
*end sarcastic*

Last edited by motherboardlove on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:55 pm 
FTP Access

In the past, I was using a pirated VLK version of Windows XP and managed to hack the key so that I could install SP2. But now I have Vista Ultimate with SP1 installed and used the vista developers activation tool to activate. :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of license do you have?        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
RatPatrol wrote:
motherboardlove wrote:

I think this should have been Multiple Choice ...

I have OEM - aka Dell Recovery CD's
I have Retail x64 Windows XP
I have an MS Action Pack ... not quite retail or MSDN ... but stuff requires activation
I have VLK - Contents aquired ... but not from Pirate Sites where 10.000 people are sharing PID's
I have MSDN CD's that were dups ...

Yea... maybe it should have been multi-choice

MS Action Pack would go under retail - it requires activation, anmd its sold to you, and the PID isnt a 600, 601, 640,641, is it?

I think one of my Enterprise Subscription agreements is 601 or 641. i forgot. I remember the last number of the 3 digit part was 1.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Ubuntu 8.10 // Windows Vista Ultimate
I have a Windows Vista Ultimate OEM SLP, a Windows XP Home OEM SLP, a Windoes XP Media Center 2005 OEM Systembuilder and a Windows 98 OEM SLP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:25 pm 
FTP Access

SLP only started existing in Windows XP and Windows Vista did it not?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Indeed.

SLP Only started with XP, Windows 2003 and Windows Vista.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:39 pm 
FTP Access

Then again, OEMs like Packard Bell for example added security features to recovery discs so that it only work on the machine it shipped with, it would check to see if the system has whats called a ''Tattoo''.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
I have 1 OEM builder, 3 OEMs and now retails from TechNET...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:50 pm 
FTP Access

I had a Windows Vista Home Premium OEM system builder pack for my older laptop, but since then, I have replaced the disc with the SP1 slipstream image thingy.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What type of license do you have?        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:19 pm 
Donator

davehc wrote:
Don't get too neurotic!
Quote "Maybe he is I mean he knew a lot about the MS licensing and had a go at me when I said I got XP through a family member who got offered VLK at work. He's most likely trying to collect info on who has what, possibly to try and go hard on the pirates, which I do not believe i'm part of.
Edit: Not to accuse anyone of anything but he does have technet and that is an MS service and according to one of his previous posts in another topic I found, after looking up his user name. Are we on to an MS spy. "

I also have a Technet subscription and am also an MS partner. This does not prohibit me from being interested in Computer forums as often useful tips and observations can be gained.
Microsoft have plants on most of the more relevant sites. The aim is, of course, to spot flagrant pirating opportunities, but also merely to monitor useage behaviour in a wide perspective.
The coverage is so large that I would imagine many flagrant breaking of rules goes, either undetected, or ignored, due to the immense amount of work, legal and otherwise, that would subsequently created.

Im not i'm slightly suspicious of motherboardlove guy but I never said he was MS without a doubt.

Quote:
="motherboardlove"I'm not a spy. I used to work for MS, and a MS Gold Certifed Partner. Thats about all. Anyways, I cant see who voted what, and it probably wouldn't matter, because MS doesn't go after personal pirates, only resellers.

And oh yea - if I was a spy, then wouldn't I have reported your FTP yet? No. I haven't, and I never plan to.

*sarcastic* Oh yea - Im a spy for MS! Im gonna hack into the BA server to see who voted what! Im gonna add a mod to the site, that run WGA and OGA, and if you have a pirated version, its automatically gonna fill out a pre-lawsuit notice and send it to you!

And make sure you don't accidentally lend your CD to your buddy, because I'm watching, and I'll call the police!
*end sarcastic*

OK I beleive you I am just a slightly over suspicious/ somewhat untrusting person who has become that way because of previous occurences in my life but I won't go into that. Im sorry if I offended you or anything but i've also disliked ms because of how the only reason I use windows is compatibility as i've never liked how much effort it takes to get it working correctly. So I admit to being slightly hostile towards their employies / possible employies.

Top  Profile