BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 8h, 30m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 6190MB of 11183MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: A Little ISO legal question        Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:14 am 
FTP Access

Hi,

I have acquired an ISO of XP Home edition OEM Untouched , and I was just wondering that if I imput the serial from the COA from my Toshiba laptop (that came with curropt install CDs) would I be able to activate it as normal??

Thanks

Ewan

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:24 am 
Donator

im sure you would be able too. if they were corrupt when you got them you could contact toshiba and they should send you one

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:35 am 
FTP Access

I tried calling Toshiba, but they wont give a CD for a laptop that came installed with Windows XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:17 pm 
Donator

don't you have some kind of consumer rights about stuff like this? did it come corrupt or just get damaged over time?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A Little ISO legal question        Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:24 pm 
Donator

ewan275 wrote:
Hi,

I have acquired an ISO of XP Home edition OEM Untouched , and I was just wondering that if I imput the serial from the COA from my Toshiba laptop (that came with curropt install CDs) would I be able to activate it as normal??

Thanks

Ewan

No... they wont activate If I remember correctly... Vista would though.

NB: if they came with corrupt install CD's then you should have had them exchanged when you got it. 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:51 pm 
FTP Access

Its simple I paid for a licence for Windows XP Home with the laptop, and if Toshiba wont allow me to activate it, then I will get it woking one way or another. Anyways ill just pull a few strings if I am asked to call the a M$ reprensentive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:07 pm 
Donator

ewan275 wrote:
Its simple I paid for a licence for Windows XP Home with the laptop, and if Toshiba wont allow me to activate it, then I will get it woking one way or another. Anyways ill just pull a few strings if I am asked to call the a M$ reprensentive.

Well seeing as Microsoft says you cant activate it, not Toshiba... :^)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:34 pm 
FTP Access

Installed and Activated!! No problems :-) I called them and it was all done with the automatic system!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:00 pm 
FTP Access

Yes, the key stuck on the machine is a "virgin" key, never activated before, so the first time it will activate online with no problems. If you reinstall you'll probably need to call them and confirm that you're installing onto the PC with which the COA originally came and you're not installing it on two PCs at the same time, as it's now recorded in their system that key has been activated, with the installation ID of your system so they'll be able to tell if you're trying to activate it on a different PC next time.

Maybe we should have an info topic somewhere about this kind of stuff, questions about OEM activations and the different licence types etc seem to come up a lot?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:04 am 
FTP Access

I think that would be a smart idea :) Maybe we can do some research and find a few MS quotes about licenses to add to the article.

I have always wondered, if I buy a license for an OS, for example, and say the computer I install it upon gets busted or I get rid of it and can no longer use the OS, am I allowed to then use the same license on another computer?

Probably not, but I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to.

Casey

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Casey_boy wrote:
I think that would be a smart idea :) Maybe we can do some research and find a few MS quotes about licenses to add to the article.

I have always wondered, if I buy a license for an OS, for example, and say the computer I install it upon gets busted or I get rid of it and can no longer use the OS, am I allowed to then use the same license on another computer?

Probably not, but I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to.

Casey

Retail = Yes
OEM (ie, comes with a computer, or you can get it if you're a system builder) = Technically no, but you can usually bend MS on their activation phone line.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:39 pm 
Donator

Breaks the EULA, yes BUT it will activate. Technically you are only allowed to install from a disc that the manufacturer of your computer sent you for your specific model laptop. Microsoft has no way of telling what disc you installed with simply through the activation, and they don't go through your stuff. As long as you use an OEM disc that matches Home/Pro on the COA. Microsoft at one point started running out of XP Pro OEM product keys and released SP2c, but only to OEMs and I've never been able to get a copy of the installer. So, if you install with a disc that has a service pack lower than SP2c (SP3 should be fine) and your COA has a newer key that means that the installation will not accept your product key, other than that it doesn't matter.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:25 pm 
FTP Access

Hmm makes sense, I guess they coudnt do much more that that, because if they started snooping around on your computer, it would start all sorts of legal arguments, because of privacy infringment. Anyways, it passed WGA as well, and I also backed up the activation files so I shoud never have to reactivate it again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:21 am 
FTP Access

Thanks for the answers to the question guys. If a 'license' sticky is going to made, I'll happily do some research to go along with it.

I know MS should be concerned with piracy but I think when it affects home users who have paid for their software they should relax a little (though I guess they do on the activation phone line :))

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:57 pm 
FTP Access

I've made a detailed explanation of the different kinds of licences here for when these questions come up again :) Feel free to add extra information below it!

Top  Profile