BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 7h, 48m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 5692MB of 10901MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 7 - Ribbon?        Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:44 pm 
Donator

I heard somewhere that they were going to use the ribbon system from Office 2007 in the explorer of Windows 7. Is this true or just a rumour?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:02 pm 
Donator

About six months ago there was some news going around that some people inside Microsoft that had something to do with drafting the UI were going to be putting ribbon in a lot of Windows apps. I haven't heard anything about it since then though, and there is no ribbon on Explorer in the first leaked alpha.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:57 pm 
Donator

A ribbon would make life easier for tablet Pc users, but I most definatley DO NOT want one of those thing's desktop's explorer window's. It work's well is Office 07 because you need quick access to functions and whatnot, but in explorer it would just take all the functions that are neatly tucked away, and make them take up a massive amount of space.
but that's just what I think is all...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:40 pm 
Donator

Maybe not explorer, but it seems like WordPad, Paint and Movie Maker are going to use the Ribbon judging by the pictures surfacing. Which other programs do you think they will give the ribbon treatment?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:47 pm 
FTP Access

Not in explorer, no.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:57 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Maybe the calculator - for every arithmetic operation a new tab.....

[/sarcasm]

The Scenic or Ribbon or however you want to call it surface looks quite nice,
but in my opinion it just makes the handling of such a simple program like Paint
or Wordpad verbose and complicated.....
They should put all the tools on one "page" but make it more clearly and prettier...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:31 pm 
Donator

You think it makes it more complicated than all of those menus? Supposedly they're adding more functionality into the software as well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:43 pm 
Donator

I think microsoft should accommodate from both customers who wants the ribbon and those that don't.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:18 am 
FTP Access

Daniel wrote:
Maybe the calculator - for every arithmetic operation a new tab.....

[/sarcasm]

The Scenic or Ribbon or however you want to call it surface looks quite nice,
but in my opinion it just makes the handling of such a simple program like Paint
or Wordpad verbose and complicated.....
They should put all the tools on one "page" but make it more clearly and prettier...

I think the ribbon is a bit unnecessary in WordPad. If they add more features to Paint, it would be a worthwhile investment of time. It would be better used in Photoshop where you have a ton of options, and it could improve use by allowing you to easily access options that you use a lot (that way, you don't have to keep searching a menu, you select the tab and you have the button easily available).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:27 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I agree with you, if a program has a ton of features and tools, the ribbon
interface is very useful, but it makes absolutely no sense to add it to an
app like paint or wordpad.... just makes everything more complicated....

EDIT: w00t 1000th post ^^

Last edited by Daniel on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:04 am 
Truly, I hate the ribbon. My impression: complex and hard to use. I can't get comfort with Office 2007, for my work I never use it. That's the reason I still use Office 2003 now. And I hate the future that Win 7 comes with all the ribbonize applications. Terribly!!!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:35 am 
FTP Access

Out of curiosity, how is the ribbon complex?

In Office 2003 and before, everything is pretty much packed into menus. If you don't know where something is, it can be fairly time consuming to find something. With Office 07, everything is in tabs. You click the option you want, and then you're in a sub tab of that with multiple options, all without increasing screen clutter.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:19 pm 
yh i agree, only trouble with office 07. Publisher and Outlook still use the old 2003 theme and menu system :cry:

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:57 pm 
FTP Access

Rather than just the mere appearance; attraction, of the interface; operating system, Microsoft should be focusing upon more innovative and productive methods for increasing the performance and ease-of-use (To accomplish tasks more easily and more effectively) of a system.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:56 pm 

livelonger87 wrote:
Rather than just the mere appearance; attraction, of the interface; operating system, Microsoft should be focusing upon more innovative and productive methods for increasing the performance and ease-of-use (To accomplish tasks more easily and more effectively) of a system.

imo, the ribbon interface is easier to use, and to discover new features. Your eyes glaze over all of the small text in the classic interface, but in the ribbon interface there are big pictures, so you can recognize stuff easier.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:30 pm 
FTP Access

in my opinion they have to change the colors of the ui ... if you have a look at the current colors of windows 7 and compare it e.g. to the colors of the movie maker wave 3 then it doesn't fit! There's blue and gray ... Just taking ribbon from office is not enough i think! And they should provide different versions of this "ribbon". For applications that really need much space for a lot of features (e.g. office) and for those who doesn't need that much space on top (e.g. paint, notepad, ...)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:10 pm 
FTP Access

Sorry if I am going a bit off the topic here, but do you think the reason why Publisher still uses the classic menu style is because this application is on its way out and beign replaced by Word, because Word 2007 seems to have many more style and formatting tools than Word 2003 and earlier versions?

Top  Profile  WWW