BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 7h, 19m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 2097MB of 3077MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Confused on Microsoft's Beta Programs        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I wasn't sure where else to post this, so I put it here. I'm confused on Microsoft's beta programs. I hear people talk about how they get free DVD's shipped to them, such as Windows Server 2008 RC's and such. Is that through MSDN, Connect, Technet? I've tried to do research into these different ones, but it's left me more confused, because they all seem the same.

No, I'm not desperate to get inside builds of Windows 7. I just want to know what you guys are apart of and how some of you get stuff shipped to you and whatnot. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:57 pm 
FTP Access

It's Connect - Technet and MSDN are paid subscriptions where you get access to all of the RTM products and some betas, Connect is free and is for testing betas and submitting bugs on them (and they sometimes give you the RTM as a thank-you if you submit enough feedback).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
That clears things up a bit. Thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:29 pm 
FTP Access

You'll see that there are some beta programmes listed there that you can enter, though for the best ones (Windows and Windows Server) you tend to have to be invited from having done previous betas, read something on a Microsoft blog where they give you an invite code, or fill out a survey on Connect when one appears for a new beta programme and then they email you to let you know that you've been accepted.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:40 pm 
Donator

MSDN and Technet are "not" beta testing program. They are preview program for devlopers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:28 am 
FTP Access

Did they send Technet subscribers Vista beta builds? If they did it last time, its possible they will continue the tradition.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:41 am 
Donator

ftgba2244 wrote:
Did they send Technet subscribers Vista beta builds? If they did it last time, its possible they will continue the tradition.

The don't send every build the testers receive to technet nor msdn.

Technet is for techologist and msdn is for developers.
It more of preview to them than a build to test.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:23 am 
FTP Access

Connect is the best path but you still must apply to be a Beta tester and hope to be accepted - or a tester for other products and releases also. Through connect I was lucky to get on the Vista program at an early stage. However, they may examine your other interests in the process of selection, and whether you have a history of contributing useful feedback.
Technet and MSDN (and maybe I should include partners with full credit points) operate a little differently. I have been a Partner and a Technet subscriber for some time. Through the former I have had the chance to look at the M1 of Windows 7, but so far nothing else has been offered. With technet, however, whilst it is costly, you have the Microsoft Alladin's cave opened and can pretty much download a limited number of most of Microsoft's products, with legal keys
Fwiw, I have never been offered a Beta product through Technet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
A friend told me a good while back that he was an MSDN subscriber. He made it sound like, for the price, you could legally get all the Microsoft products you could eat. But it's a limited number? Pretty high though I suppose? I think he said it was around $300 USD a year or so. Thanks for clearing it up that they really don't offer betas though.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Top  Profile  WWW