BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 19h, 20m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 2772MB of 7291MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Can I install Windows 7 without problems        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:17 am 
Donator

Hey folks,
I'm almost sure, that no one will remember me. It have been quite busy months and that hasn't changed yet. However I wanted to see, if there's progress on Windows 7 and I'm surprised to already see a leak - really great work.
My question: I have a rather old Desktop (Athlon2000XP, 768 RAM, 64 MB Graphic) - I even installed Vista there once.

So is it save to assume, that I also can try Windows 7 without problems (apart from running awfully slow?) Will 13 GB space on one partition be enough, and can it in any way interfere with my Win2000, that I use as main OS?

Sorry if that might deserve RTFM as an answer, but I didn't find anything to relieve my mind and I definetely couldn't afford to mess with my system.

Best regards
Jens

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:40 am 
FTP Access

dont know about your system but my install is 12.6gb clean 8)
may cause you an issue there

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I install Windows 7 without problems        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:43 am 
FTP Access

Jens wrote:
Hey folks,
I'm almost sure, that no one will remember me. It have been quite busy months and that hasn't changed yet. However I wanted to see, if there's progress on Windows 7 and I'm surprised to already see a leak - really great work.
My question: I have a rather old Desktop (Athlon2000XP, 768 RAM, 64 MB Graphic) - I even installed Vista there once.

So is it save to assume, that I also can try Windows 7 without problems (apart from running awfully slow?) Will 13 GB space on one partition be enough, and can it in any way interfere with my Win2000, that I use as main OS?

Sorry if that might deserve RTFM as an answer, but I didn't find anything to relieve my mind and I definetely couldn't afford to mess with my system.

Best regards
Jens

If you use Windows 2000 there, and you want to stay with it I would not recommend it. Every time you install setup creates a 500 meg partition, so 13 gigs-500 megs wont be enough for your setup. Appart from that, when you uninstall it or whateaver, you will not be able to delete that partition unless you have the right software to do so (and i haven't found a freeware one).
If you don't care about Windows 2000, it will run nicely. It takes slightly less RAM than Vista, and you may set up Windows 7 Home Basic, so , that way it'll take even less RAM. I use a PC with Windows 7 Home Basic and 512 kbs on RAM as a secondary machine.
It runs nicely.
Give it a try.
It might work, and ... good luck!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
If you have your disk already partitioned (2 partitions, one for your existing OS and one that fills the rest of the disk for Win7) and launch the install from within your existing OS, Windows 7 should not create the 500mb partition that everyone is complaining about. At least it didn't for me, but then, I had no unpartitioned space on my hard disk, and the only other OS was Vista.

If you do install Win7 don't forget about the time-bomb, so you will have to keep the bios date set back to January-ish to make it work.

I still don't recommend installing it, unless you are willing to risk your data, you might as well wait for betas (at least)

Last edited by Luthian on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:32 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
It runs fairly well on a single cpu virtual machine@ 2.0 ghz with 512 megs of ram...
Although I would not reccomend making a switch as windows 7 has little benifits over Vista. On somehardware it runs with less resources on others its plagued with crashes on one k8n-neo2 it seems to consistantly lock up!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:50 pm 
Donator

Hey folks,
thanks for your kind answers so far. I have to specify: I have two partitions - one with Win2k on it and one with Longhorn 4039 currently on it - and it's actually 14,4 GB in size. And of course I could wipe that partition without caring.
Could it still pose a threat to my Win2k partition in anyway? Losing 500 MB of total available space wouldn't be so bad, even if it happened.

Just one question left: Windows Seven is supposed to get smaller again and require less resources, right?

Best regards
Jens

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:36 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Windows 7 is by far not a complete product. Its performance is variable, it may use resources more efficiently but given MS's history, we will be lucky if it uses as much as Vista.

There is some misconception that MinWin is Windows 7 -> its not. They claimed to be using MinWin to test the Windows 7 kernel.

Top  Profile  WWW