Missing some Codenames

Discuss Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, 10 and Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2016, 2019, Home Server, SBS 2008, SBS 2011.
Namronia

Missing some Codenames

Post by Namronia »

im missing some codenames, if you know them please post here, thanks

i need the ones from:

Vista SP1
XP SP3
2000 SP2
2000 SP3
2000 SP4
All NT4 SP's (if avaible)
XP Pro N
XP Pro KN
XP Home N
XP Home KN
Windows 2.x

thanks

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

For Windows 2.x i thought it was Presentation Manager.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

DjRob wrote:For Windows 2.x i thought it was Presentation Manager.
well, i heard about that too, i also heard about "286", but "286" sounds not really realistic to me anymore, and presentation manager was OS/2

James
Staff

Post by James »

http://en.wikipedia.org <-- Go there and search for Microsoft Codenames.
James *~*~* BA Moderator | Alternate History writer

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Well you could post the entire link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_codenames, but dont trust everything on there, everybody can edit it, so there van be false information.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

The BA Wiki will probably help too you know. That IS what its there for!

Luthian
FTP Access

Post by Luthian »

I was in the Vista SP1 beta program and I can say with %100 certainty that it never had a codename, It was just called the "Vista SP1 Beta", and neither did XP SP3, it was just called the "XP SP3 Beta".

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

DjRob wrote:Well you could post the entire link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_codenames, but dont trust everything on there, everybody can edit it, so there van be false information.
There seems to be a huge argument about if Wikipedia's info is trustworthy. Many seem to say no. But some people say that since Wikipedia is moderated, they will delete any bull they find. Everyone seems to have a different understanding about Wikipedia.

Raiker
FTP Access

Post by Raiker »

Originally Microsoft called N editions as "Windows XP Reduced Media Edition" and then renamed it to its final forms. But I think that they talked about Reduced Media Edition not as about a codename, but possible retail name, and changed it because of EU's Comission request. But that's all we know about N's editions branding history.
Quod licet Jovi, non licet bovi

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

Raiker wrote:Originally Microsoft called N editions as "Windows XP Reduced Media Edition" and then renamed it to its final forms. But I think that they talked about Reduced Media Edition not as about a codename, but possible retail name, and changed it because of EU's Comission request. But that's all we know about N's editions branding history.
It wasn't a request as much as a lawsuit. Microsoft apparently "broke an EU law" by packaging Media Player with XP. Eventually they released Windows XP without Media Player.

Even though this version of XP didn't sell very well, it spawned an interest in certain beta collectors to try out XP without Media Player.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure Windows 2.x didn't have a codename. Windows 1.x was originally supposed to be called Interface Manager but was renamed to Windows. I think then Windows 2.x followed the same name and had no codename.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

DjRob wrote:Well you could post the entire link.

well, thanks, but thats the first thing i could find by googling, and that doesnt really help me right now
Andy wrote:The BA Wiki will probably help too you know. That IS what its there for!
i know (Btw, the new betaarchive wiki looks bettr i think ), but that doesnt help me to find the codenames i miss too
Luthian wrote:I was in the Vista SP1 beta program and I can say with %100 certainty that it never had a codename, It was just called the "Vista SP1 Beta", and neither did XP SP3, it was just called the "XP SP3 Beta".
Ok, that would explain that i never found any of those boths, but sad if microsoft really stopped codenaming SP's
Raiker wrote:Originally Microsoft called N editions as "Windows XP Reduced Media Edition" and then renamed it to its final forms. But I think that they talked about Reduced Media Edition not as about a codename, but possible retail name, and changed it because of EU's Comission request. But that's all we know about N's editions branding history.
yes, i also know that, ive got a "Reduced Media Edition" cd here i think, but that wasnt the codename for sure, its like xp starters codename, everybody told me there is no one, but then i found out it was creekside (when you know it gooling is so easy )
Back on topic, I'm pretty sure Windows 2.x didn't have a codename. Windows 1.x was originally supposed to be called Interface Manager but was renamed to Windows. I think then Windows 2.x followed the same name and had no codename.
[/quote]

yes, that sounds possible, but again, i dont hope so since i love codenames

edit, thanks to you all anyways

wolfhunter3
FTP Access

Post by wolfhunter3 »

I dont think that vista sp1 had a codename.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

Apparently, Steven Sinofsky, senior vice president for the Windows and the Windows Live Engineering Group, would rather deal with product numbers than codenames. Therefore, Sinofsky has shifted Microsoft away from the tradition of giving things codenames. Hence the lack of codename for Vista SP1, XP SP3 and the name Windows 7.