BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 5h, 38m | CPU: 49% | MEM: 2112MB of 3113MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 PostPost subject: Windows Server 2008 Codename Centro        Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:38 pm 
Donator

Hello,

just noticed this... Apparently, the final name for Windows Server Longhorn will be "Windows Server 2008", and this "centro" version will be designed specifically for mid-range businesses.

Source: http://www.msblog.org/2006/11/19/msblog-exclusive-windows-server-centro-a-disappointing-first-glance/

Screenshot: http://www.msblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/centro.jpg

We'll see when the first build is... "available" to us collectors! :D

edit: BETA 1 is available!

Last edited by empireum on Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:26 pm 
Donator

hmmmm, not sure if i like the name

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:41 pm 
FTP Access

Still got the "About Windows" bug...wonder if they're ever going to change that? Anyway, looks interesting - if it hadn't been on what looks like an official MS site I probably would have assumed it was fake! So "Centro" would be like one of the editions of Server 2008, like Standard, Enterprise etc.?

It'll be interesting to see what Server 2008 is like actually – you wouldn’t think Vista would be a very good starting point for a server OS as servers tend to run very lightweight OSes, so I wonder if they’ll strip out a lot of what makes Vista so demanding?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:52 pm 
Donator

could be the reason for no glass

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:40 pm 
Donator

They have already stripped out some stuff from the Longhorn Server betas. Just compare the ISO sizes of Vista Build 5744 (as that's the most recent Server build as of yet) and Longhorn Server Build 5744. The Vista 32-bit ISO is about 2.4GB, the Longhorn ISO is about 1.6GB. That's an 800MB difference in the ISO sizes which persists in the x64 version (3.4GB vs. 2.6GB IIRC) and the difference is bigger when the OSes are installed. Vista takes up several gigabytes more space than Longhorn Server does!

Concerning the performance, – although Longhorn is still in beta stage and you can't quite compare its performance even if you take the according Vista build – my impression is that it peforms at least slightly better than Vista. That's because there's much demanding stuff disabled by default (but there's still the server stuff and the services, which should be a fair number since it's the Enterprise Edition of the Server, haven't done any comparison to Standard and Datacenter builds as of yet). And my primary test rig for Vista and Longhorn can't be called a power horse – it's an 1.4~1.5GHz Athlon XP machine with 1 GB of RAM and a HD that's only half as fast as current models can be (~35MB/s max. read speed compared to >70MB/s). And, Longhorn performs better on it than Vista.

And although there is at least Aero Basic, called "Windows Desktop Experience" here and IIRC the Media Player 10 is also installed (at least in the later builds), a lot of the "home user stuff" from Vista is missing there, beginning with small things like wallpapers (yes, in Longhorn 5744 there are none) and extending to bigger stuff like the various applications.

About the name – "Centro" is still a codename, just as it was the case with "Bobcat", which was the codename for Small Business Server 2003, a special edition of Windows Server 2003 (which was codenamed "Whistler Server" (or was it ".net Server"? Can't remember right now...)).

The "About Windows" bug – don't know if MS is ever going to fix it.

I'm pretty interested in this release as I have always liked the NT Server builds, starting with 3.1, going over 4.0, 5.0/2000 and Server 2003 and I prefer Longhorn Server to Vista although it's still in beta stage. :wink: Can't wait till it leaks and is available "on the usual places" waiting to be collected... It's a pity they blurred the build number, though. Would be interesting to see it. Guess: Is it higher or lower than 6000?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:01 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
And my primary test rig for Vista and Longhorn can't be called a power horse – it's an 1.4~1.5GHz Athlon XP machine with 1 GB of RAM and a HD that's only half as fast as current models can be (~35MB/s max. read speed compared to >70MB/s). And, Longhorn performs better on it than Vista.

Do you have an extra PC dedicated to testing Vista then? Nice!

empireum wrote:
Vista takes up several gigabytes more space than Longhorn Server does!

Which version of Vista though? I'm assuming Home Basic takes up a lot less space than Ultimate, so maybe Server is similar to Home Basic (as it doesn't have Media Centre etc taking up lots of space).

empireum wrote:
Windows Server 2003 (which was codenamed "Whistler Server" (or was it ".net Server"? Can't remember right now...)).

Both :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:33 am 
Donator

Quote:
Do you have an extra PC dedicated to testing Vista then? Nice!

Well, sort of. :wink: As I might have already said, both my primary desktop and notebook is a Mac, and my secondary desktop and notebook is an x86 PC. I use my secondary PC (and secondary notebook) for testing all kinds of beta and non-beta OSes like old/new versions of Windows, Linux, Unix (BSD, Solaris, ...) and others like OS/2. And sometimes I run Vista/Longhorn Server on it, but it's never been the only OS on that box. Sometimes, I was dual-booting multiple builds of Vista on it (last time I remember, it was 5384, 5472 and 5536). That enables me to test Vista/LH in something else than a VM and also gives me an impression of how Vista will feel on a non-high-end machine. (It's graphics card does not support Aero Glass, for instance)
BTW, I do have an Intel Mac and I've run Windows Vista natively on it once (it was build 5728 IIRC) but... well, running Windows on a Mac outside of a VM just seems wrong to me. :wink: It's run really well though, but that's no news for a dual-core box with 2GB RAM.

Quote:
Which version of Vista though? I'm assuming Home Basic takes up a lot less space than Ultimate, so maybe Server is similar to Home Basic (as it doesn't have Media Centre etc taking up lots of space).

Hmm, I don't think it matters that much. . RC1 was taking up ~9 gigabytes, pretty much regardless of the version you installed. Even Vista Starter which has a lot less stuff than Ultimate occupied 7 GBs. I don't remember how much space LH was exactly taking, but I think it was something around 5 to 6 GB.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:58 am 
Donator

I received an invitation for Centro on connect :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:05 am 
Donator

Lucky one, I didn't :( (If you get some stuff that might be interesting, would you mind sharing it? :wink:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:17 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Can someone give me a link to sign up on connect? Ive searched until Im blue in the face and I can't find it! :cry:

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:19 am 
Staff

I would assume it is invite only.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:24 am 
Donator

Yes, unfortunately :( :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:59 am 
Donator

im guessing that vista testers will get an invite?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:44 am 
FTP Access

sounds interesting :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:59 am 
Donator

But it will be at least one month before a beta will appear on Connect, as I have heard...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:54 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
But it will be at least one month before a beta will appear on Connect, as I have heard...

Do you know if it'll be possible to apply for it, or will it be invite-only (and so I suppose restricted to people who have tested an OS before)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:11 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
empireum wrote:

Do you know if it'll be possible to apply for it, or will it be invite-only (and so I suppose restricted to people who have tested an OS before)?

Don't know, but so far it's been by invite only. "So far" means up to now, as no beta of Centro has been released yet. Maybe it'll become available for applying when there's a beta.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:48 am 
Staff

Read this if you are interested in joining the Beta.
Link

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:50 am 
Donator

Great news! :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:05 am 
FTP Access

Beta Freak wrote:
Link

But who has three 64-bit machines and 2 clients?! I don't even have one 64-bit machine! :cry: I presume you get automatically rejected if you say you don't have all those computers? Also all the questions seem to assume you're working in IT! :cry: :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:43 am 
Thats interesting, the text is next to the icons on the desktop rather than under them.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:53 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Beta Freak wrote:
Link

But who has three 64-bit machines and 2 clients?! I don't even have one 64-bit machine! :cry: I presume you get automatically rejected if you say you don't have all those computers? Also all the questions seem to assume you're working in IT! :cry: :cry:

Just answer them by randomly selecting an option. That's what I did. They can't verify if these are true or not. And even if Centro was to require that amount of machines to be fully usable or "testable", if that word exists, you should be able to install it on a single (x64) box just like any other OS. BTW, it's based on Longhorn Server and this has been available as 32-bit OS. I expect a Beta 3 or something like that to be released before Centro. I'm not quite sure what I answered when taking the survey, I can't even remember if I claimed having the required number of machines and I wasn't rejected, I was greeted with an e-mail and my Connect Participation Status is shown as Pending and Having Applied. So I guess it's fine the way it is.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Holy Crap        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:08 am 
Donator

I forgot I signed up for connect like ... it had to be for Windows 2000. I logged in and my Invitations were just busting out. Anyway, well cee if I get accepted to this one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:10 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Just answer them by randomly selecting an option. That's what I did. They can't verify if these are true or not. And even if Centro was to require that amount of machines to be fully usable or "testable", if that word exists, you should be able to install it on a single (x64) box just like any other OS. BTW, it's based on Longhorn Server and this has been available as 32-bit OS. I expect a Beta 3 or something like that to be released before Centro. I'm not quite sure what I answered when taking the survey, I can't even remember if I claimed having the required number of machines and I wasn't rejected, I was greeted with an e-mail and my Connect Participation Status is shown as Pending and Having Applied. So I guess it's fine the way it is.

Will Centro be available as 32-bit then, like LH Server? As there's not much point me trying it if it's x64 only :( Looks like this beta isn't going to start for months, anyway :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:12 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Will Centro be available as 32-bit then, like LH Server? As there's not much point me trying it if it's x64 only :( Looks like this beta isn't going to start for months, anyway :(

Don't know if it'll be available in a 32-bit version, but I'm pretty sure LH Server will be. It's said the Centro beta will start in one or two months... But I hope there's a LH Server Beta 3 release before that. But if Centro's really for x64 only like Win2003 CCS, then I'll have to upgrade my testing box from the 32-bit AthlonXP to a cheap 64-bit Sempron, I guess... :wink: (If I don't have another x64 box by then).

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next