How to bypass 256MB Ram check in Longhorn 5xxx builds ?

Discuss Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, 10 and Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2016, 2019, Home Server, SBS 2008, SBS 2011.
Smartie77
FTP Access

How to bypass 256MB Ram check in Longhorn 5xxx builds ?

Post by Smartie77 »

Hello folks,

I would like to play a bit with 5048 and 5112. My Testmachine for Betas is an older Thinkpad 600x Laptop which has currently 196 MB memory installed.

do not laugh, this thing, though it is 8 years old runs every OS from DOS to XP official and not too slow. Please do not try to convince me that Longhorn or Vista on it would be useless, I had even Vista 6001 ( vlited with the 256MB "crack" ) running on it. Webbrowsing and core Laptop functionality was ok.

Now Longhorns up to 4074 did all install without any trick, but beginning with 5048 the setup screen tells me after a check that 256MB are required, then it exits.

The necessary Ram needed seems to be located in winsetup.dll and/or in the setup.exe itself, but I was not able to hexedit the exact lines and ended up in a corrupted dll.., I even tried to replace the setup files with those of 4074 but that didn't work.

Now my question : is there any patch that disables the check or any setup parameter ?

or is it possible to take vista rtm setup files to load the install.wim of these betas onto the machine ?

because - and that's the evidence that the check is not really necessary -
Vista rtm with the "nomem" patch or with the vlite option to decrease necessary Ram down to 256 lets me install vista on that laptop without any further trick ..

Please tell me any way to make it possible, I don't want to invest in old expensive SDRam for this thing only to play with it. And my main Desktop PC (built from components and really vista premium capable ) is running vista business so nice, i don't want to test betas there, and also not inside any virtual machines.

Daniel1981
Donator

Post by Daniel1981 »

I Installed Vista 5384 on VM with 200 MB RAM...
It had no problems... So, Just try to run it...

Smartie77
FTP Access

hm

Post by Smartie77 »

when i click on setup.exe inside the sources folder under a running xp / Windows FLP .. it tells me the exact message

"Setup detected 192 MB Ram,but 256 MB are required.Setup will now exit"

I cannot boot from DVDs on the machine ( it has a internal CDROM ), I use an external USB DVD Writer for 5xxx and Vista builds, I can boot into WinPE with the Longhorn 4xxx CDs and with the WinFLP CD as well with a vlited vista rtm or sp1 cd and can navigate inside the CMD window to the USB Drive - but I doubt this would work.

Like I said, it is strange that Vista rtm will always install on it, no matter if booted directly ( from a vlited CD) or if setup has been started in XP.

really strange, I can have 40xx on it and 600x but not 50xx.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

How expensive is SDRAM SODIMM's over in Germany? If your willing to pay a little bit more from postage you can buy 2x128MB SODIMMs from China on eBay like I've done in the past.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.de/2-Stck-128MB-SDRAM-S ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/128MB-RAM-PC-100-144 ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/Infineon-128MB-144pi ... dZViewItem

Some links I found. They're cheaper (in the equivalent of Australian $) than I bought my SODIMM's for.

Smartie77
FTP Access

Post by Smartie77 »

this thing needs special Dimms.. double sided,16chips,pc66 or pc100 with implicit compatibility for intel bx or gx boards.

i once had maxed out the memory with 1 256MB plus a 128 dimm, but the 256 dimm died unfortunately, so i put in what i had left lying around.

anyway, like i said : i do not put any further money into this.

if it is not possible, then ok.

I have the full palette of OS left to run on it, be it Win 3.x or XP, Lenovo.com has all the drivers, even those for OS/2.

the machine is a outstanding good performer with windows FLP or 2000 pro ( when it comes to productivity works ) and it is amazing compatible with a lot of MS Betas, the readme for win flp even mentions that exact laptop - so MS seems to own some of these for testing purposes ,too.

Arths
FTP Access

Post by Arths »

You can download files patched for skip that verification

Look on my friend > Google

skywalker06
Donator

Post by skywalker06 »

would vlite work as nlite allowed me to skip the memory and bios check i think

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

skywalker06 wrote:would vlite work as nlite allowed me to skip the memory and bios check i think
vLite is for Vista, and wouldn't work for such an early build (in terms of Vista)