BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 3h, 47m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 4623MB of 11087MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How to bypass 256MB Ram check in Longhorn 5xxx builds ?        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
Hello folks,

I would like to play a bit with 5048 and 5112. My Testmachine for Betas is an older Thinkpad 600x Laptop which has currently 196 MB memory installed.

do not laugh, this thing, though it is 8 years old runs every OS from DOS to XP official and not too slow. Please do not try to convince me that Longhorn or Vista on it would be useless, I had even Vista 6001 ( vlited with the 256MB "crack" ) running on it. Webbrowsing and core Laptop functionality was ok.

Now Longhorns up to 4074 did all install without any trick, but beginning with 5048 the setup screen tells me after a check that 256MB are required, then it exits.

The necessary Ram needed seems to be located in winsetup.dll and/or in the setup.exe itself, but I was not able to hexedit the exact lines and ended up in a corrupted dll.., I even tried to replace the setup files with those of 4074 but that didn't work.

Now my question : is there any patch that disables the check or any setup parameter ?

or is it possible to take vista rtm setup files to load the install.wim of these betas onto the machine ?

because - and that's the evidence that the check is not really necessary -
Vista rtm with the "nomem" patch or with the vlite option to decrease necessary Ram down to 256 lets me install vista on that laptop without any further trick ..

Please tell me any way to make it possible, I don't want to invest in old expensive SDRam for this thing only to play with it. And my main Desktop PC (built from components and really vista premium capable ) is running vista business so nice, i don't want to test betas there, and also not inside any virtual machines.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I Installed Vista 5384 on VM with 200 MB RAM...
It had no problems... So, Just try to run it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: hm        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
when i click on setup.exe inside the sources folder under a running xp / Windows FLP .. it tells me the exact message

"Setup detected 192 MB Ram,but 256 MB are required.Setup will now exit"

I cannot boot from DVDs on the machine ( it has a internal CDROM ), I use an external USB DVD Writer for 5xxx and Vista builds, I can boot into WinPE with the Longhorn 4xxx CDs and with the WinFLP CD as well with a vlited vista rtm or sp1 cd and can navigate inside the CMD window to the USB Drive - but I doubt this would work.

Like I said, it is strange that Vista rtm will always install on it, no matter if booted directly ( from a vlited CD) or if setup has been started in XP.

really strange, I can have 40xx on it and 600x but not 50xx.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:16 pm 
Donator

How expensive is SDRAM SODIMM's over in Germany? If your willing to pay a little bit more from postage you can buy 2x128MB SODIMMs from China on eBay like I've done in the past.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.de/2-Stck-128MB-SDRAM-S ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/128MB-RAM-PC-100-144 ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/Infineon-128MB-144pi ... dZViewItem

Some links I found. They're cheaper (in the equivalent of Australian $) than I bought my SODIMM's for. :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
this thing needs special Dimms.. double sided,16chips,pc66 or pc100 with implicit compatibility for intel bx or gx boards.

i once had maxed out the memory with 1 256MB plus a 128 dimm, but the 256 dimm died unfortunately, so i put in what i had left lying around.

anyway, like i said : i do not put any further money into this.

if it is not possible, then ok.

I have the full palette of OS left to run on it, be it Win 3.x or XP, Lenovo.com has all the drivers, even those for OS/2.

the machine is a outstanding good performer with windows FLP or 2000 pro ( when it comes to productivity works ) and it is amazing compatible with a lot of MS Betas, the readme for win flp even mentions that exact laptop - so MS seems to own some of these for testing purposes ,too.

:wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:24 pm 
FTP Access

You can download files patched for skip that verification

Look on my friend > Google ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:42 pm 
Donator

would vlite work as nlite allowed me to skip the memory and bios check i think

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
skywalker06 wrote:
would vlite work as nlite allowed me to skip the memory and bios check i think

vLite is for Vista, and wouldn't work for such an early build (in terms of Vista)

Top  Profile  WWW