BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 17h, 54m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 2040MB of 3535MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How to find out if Vista is activated        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:07 pm 
Donator

Recently (yesterday in fact), I downloaded Windows Vista via torrents and burned it to a disc. Then I wrote down a serial for it that I found off the internet. After successfully installing Vista and installing drivers, I noticed that it hadn't asked me to activate it yet. Also, but during setup, I had accidentally left the "Automatically activate Windows when connected to the internet". So I'm wondering if Windows has already been activated or not. Is there any way to find out if Windows is activated?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm 
FTP Access

It's at the bottom of the System Control Panel - the automatic activation usually happens a few days later, it should say how many days are left until it will attempt to activate. It won't start putting reminders in your system tray until more of the 30 days has gone.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:14 pm 
Administrator

Press Start, right click on My Computer, choose Properties. Scroll to the bottom. There is a whole section called "Windows activation" where it tells you your Product ID and if it's activated or not.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:22 pm 
Donator

Thanks. It turns out I still have 30 days to activate. Unfortunately, my serial is "invalid for activation" so it looks like I'll have to use a crack or something.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:30 pm 
FTP Access

mdogg wrote:
my serial is "invalid for activation"

Not exactly surprising... ;) You might be better with the Enterprise version of Vista as you don't have to crack it then, just point it at a KMS online.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:53 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
If you get lucky you maybe able to patch your bios :D

Honestly, its easy just to re-arm. After your re-arms are up you probably will want to reinstall windows anyways :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:03 am 
Donator

I don't know if I want to download Vista again as the download quotas for internet in Australia aren't exactly the best around.

So I used "slmgr.exe -upk" to remove my product key because that's what the instructions for the crack told me to do. Then I rebooted the computer only to be greeted by the following screen:
Using the "Go online to validate that your software is genuine" link, I was able to open Firefox and write this message. I was also able to open "explorer.exe" leading to the following:
Lol, loophole.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:40 am 
Donator

What i did with vista was install it with no serial key, then run a bios crack.
Bios cracks arent hard to find, if i remember correctly the one i used is on mininova, and it replaces the serial for you.
Other people will prolly disagree, but i think you'd do best to re-install windows with no serial.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:49 am 
Donator

Don't install Vista with a key...
mdogg, check your PM's :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:31 am 
Donator

jabster wrote:
What i did with vista was install it with no serial key, then run a bios crack.
Bios cracks arent hard to find, if i remember correctly the one i used is on mininova, and it replaces the serial for you.
Other people will prolly disagree, but i think you'd do best to re-install windows with no serial.

I tried using this without re-installing as I don't really want to re-install Windows. It just gave me a message at the bottom right corner of the screen telling me, with the build number, that the copy of Windows wasn't genuine. Uninstalling the BIOS crack seemed to do away with this message.

Either way, I just typed in my old serial and did the StopTimer trick. It seemed to work. However I think that the BIOS thing may have been a bit more efficient.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
The Stoptimer trick works until 120 days.

Buy a new Vista one (90€ for Home Premium and 150€), and System-builder version, the only difference between the normal and System Builder:

1) You must sell the machine (well, dont they dont find out)
2) Only the DVD-Booklet-License is with it, the only thing in normal is the very expensive box.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:56 pm 
FTP Access

Yeh, that is a way to log on with it unactivated, though you won't be able to open Control Panel and you can't close the activation window. There is a way to get unlimited re-arms where you set a registry key each time before doing it that stops the next re-arm from counting (you get only 3 ie 120 days otherwise), you might want to try that assuming they haven't stopped it (it was all official though, documented on the MS website and everything albeit in a way that was difficult to understand and not making it obvious what it means).

Top  Profile