problem with explorer

Discuss Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, 10 and Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2016, 2019, Home Server, SBS 2008, SBS 2011.
saeedsaf
FTP Access

problem with explorer

Post by saeedsaf »

Hi, I have Windows Vista Ultimate, been using it for a long time now with no probs, but recently windows explorer started to act weird, when I log on to windows, it only launches my document, without the taskbar, or desktop, so I have to launch task manager and then run explorer so I could get my desktop and taskbar + all the other programs.
I tried changing the explorer, making a new user name, and using the upgrade option in the installation disc, plz help me cuz I dont want to format my computer all over.
THX

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Run 'msconfig' from the run box (windows key + R) and disable everything on the startup tab. You might have some software that's interfering with the opening of explorer. If it works, start turning on the software one by one and rebooting to confirm its working or breaks again. Then you know what software is doing it.

If that doesn't cure it, try and get hold of a copy of the explorer.exe from another vista machine of the same architecture and replace it (in safe mode).

If that doesn't work I'd probably just reinstall to be honest. It would save a lot of time fault finding. Just backup what you need and reinstall.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

If you reinstall from within windows or not formatting the disk, the activation can be saved, otherwise if your wipe the drive, you must activate it again.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

DjRob wrote:If you reinstall from within windows or not formatting the disk, the activation can be saved, otherwise if your wipe the drive, you must activate it again.
Just activate for free over the phone. It only takes a few minutes and the automated system nearly always allows you to activate. Sometimes you will have to speak to someone but they'll always activate it too. Remember, its on 1 PC and it was pre-installed.

Daniel
Staff

Post by Daniel »

Open regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

check the value of Shell - if it is not "explorer.exe" change it to that.

Maybe this helps.

djdanster
FTP Access

Post by djdanster »

Daniel wrote:Open regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

check the value of Shell - if it is not "explorer.exe" change it to that.

Maybe this helps.
Thanks i was about to say this, saved me some typing

saeedsaf
FTP Access

Post by saeedsaf »

thx guys, its workin now, my vista is bak.