BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 7h, 11m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 1958MB of 4395MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Is Minwin on Seven?        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:53 am 
FTP Access

Last week I was testing Windows 7, and using it as my Main OS.
Now I'm just wondering something.
Is it really having MinWin?? I mean, to me it's just like Vista with a nicer bootscreen and some extra utilites.
So, I just wonder if we're going to get as Windows 7 a Vista with a different Skin??
Will the innovation be on the UI??
Will there be some innovation?
Hope so...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
It's just updated Vista kernel at this moment.
But look here.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:54 am 
FTP Access

Isn't MinWin bascially being scrapped?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:00 am 
F44 Control wrote:

a big sad "yes" :(

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:21 pm 
FTP Access

Namronia wrote:
F44 Control wrote:

a big sad "yes" :(
Veeeery sad. :( I was looking so forward to it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:51 pm 
FTP Access

It's a shame, but I think MS is afraid to have all those compatibility issues they had with Vista, so now their play is going to be to integrate Multitouch technology and a new UI, but there's going to be no real innovation in the product unless we get a new thing that changes the way we look at computers, rather than just changing the Windows Skin....
What do you all think will happen?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:01 pm 
FTP Access

i my opinion, the startbutton is old enought. the taskbarconcept is also very
old. why not thinking about a new ui? it would be fresh air in the windowsworld.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
dean corso wrote:
old. why not thinking about a new ui? it would be fresh air in the windowsworld.

Cause 'better' is enemy of 'good'.
(sorry was translating this sentence from polish so it may sound different :P )

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:03 pm 
FTP Access

Microsoft Spokespersons have said that compatibility has always been a priority for Windows 7.

All hardware and software that works with Windows Vista will work with Windows 7, that helps prove that it will be a minor release. But why Microsoft call it "Windows 7" if it will just be a minor update, and not technically "Windows NT 7.0"? That's like pushing it as a major release, y'know?

So confusing. Hopefully there will be more info about whether or not it's a major or minor release.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:34 am 
FTP Access

It's pretty shocking. Microsoft hasn't told ANYTHING about Windows 7 except that it will include MinWin. Microsoft didn't talk about Windows 7, didn't show it, told that doesn't know nothing about it. The only thing they said - it will have updated kernel called MinWin and showed early kernel view. It was the only thing they promised. They didn't promise NOTHING, they didn't promise new UI, new features, new platforms and frameworks. They have only said that Windows 7 will have MinWin. And now these news that MinWin is not longer a part of the next version of Windows. Is Microsoft joking? Sinofsky!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:47 am 
FTP Access

Raiker wrote:
It's pretty shocking. Microsoft hasn't told ANYTHING about Windows 7 except that it will include MinWin. Microsoft didn't talk about Windows 7, didn't show it, told that doesn't know nothing about it. The only thing they said - it will have updated kernel called MinWin and showed early kernel view. It was the only thing they promised. They didn't promise NOTHING, they didn't promise new UI, new features, new platforms and frameworks. They have only said that Windows 7 will have MinWin. And now these news that MinWin is not longer a part of the next version of Windows. Is Microsoft joking? Sinofsky!
Paul Thurrott at winsupersite wrote in a Windows 7 FAQ that Microsoft actually created MinWin so software in the future could be built on it, and the relationship between MinWin and Windows 7 was only that it was built on very early Windows 7 code.

Microsoft needs to be more clear and stop changing information daily. I know it's early in development and features can get dropped, but MinWin was promised.

Dropping MinWin reminds me of WinFS from the longhorn days, dropping features.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:33 pm 
FTP Access

dean corso wrote:

Also, the start button/task bar began in Windows Chicago which ended up Win95. To be honest, I believe that it is time for Windows to change its UI and Miniwin might be a MAJOR kernel change since NT 4..... that is just my two cents......

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Minwin on Seven?        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:38 pm 
FTP Access

Chicago wrote:
Last week I was testing Windows 7, and using it as my Main OS.
Now I'm just wondering something.
Is it really having MinWin?? I mean, to me it's just like Vista with a nicer bootscreen and some extra utilites.
So, I just wonder if we're going to get as Windows 7 a Vista with a different Skin??
Will the innovation be on the UI??
Will there be some innovation?
Hope so...

I believe that there will be a major UI change in Windows 7. Remember, XP=Whistler, Vista =LH, and Win7=Blackcomb.........

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:40 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
How was MinWin promised?
As the Microsoft guy on the YouTube video said
Quote:
"We are definitily going to be using it internally, we build a lot of products based on this kernel... This will provide us the ability to move it [the kernel] to even more areas"

MinWin wasn't promised. The video of it demonstrated was intended to show the benefits of virtualization technology and how Microsoft uses it in its development cycle... Microsoft has always claimed that the successor to Windows Vista would be a minor release.

-=-=
I like the Windows interface, the only feature it could use would be an additional "dock" like application, but as MS has repeatedly claimed its a major difficulty for them to add new features as they may violate copyright law.

-=-=-=

Lastly, MS has a history of not being clear but we know two things that have been constant with their development cycle;
-> They have moved little from their original goals with the Chicago platform
-> They always begin developing internally and add features later; remember the first Longhorn builds?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:24 pm 
FTP Access

Frozenport wrote:
How was MinWin promised?
As the Microsoft guy on the YouTube video said
Quote:
"We are definitily going to be using it internally, we build a lot of products based on this kernel... This will provide us the ability to move it [the kernel] to even more areas"

MinWin wasn't promised. The video of it demonstrated was intended to show the benefits of virtualization technology and how Microsoft uses it in its development cycle... Microsoft has always claimed that the successor to Windows Vista would be a minor release.

-=-=
I like the Windows interface, the only feature it could use would be an additional "dock" like application, but as MS has repeatedly claimed its a major difficulty for them to add new features as they may violate copyright law.

-=-=-=

Lastly, MS has a history of not being clear but we know two things that have been constant with their development cycle;
-> They have moved little from their original goals with the Chicago platform
-> They always begin developing internally and add features later; remember the first Longhorn builds?

In the longhorn days, Longhorn aka Vista was to be minor and Blackcomb was scheduled to be major. The successor to vista was not always claimed as minor.

And MinWin was talked about even before the Windows 7 name came up. It took them a while to design MinWin. That video was done at the tech event much after Microsoft stopped saying MinWin was part of the kernel in Windows 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:56 pm 
FTP Access

Source:
http://www.pcwelt.de/start/software_os/ ... ws_7_mehr/

Quote:
Bei Windows 7 verspricht Veghte, dass man auf das Feedback der Vista-Kunden hören werde. So werde es bei Windows 7 zu keinerlei Kompatiblitätsproblemen kommen, wenn Anwender von Vista auf Windows 7 umsteigen. Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen, werde man die Kern-Architektur von Windows Vista auch bei Windows 7 einsetzen.

rough translation:
Microsoft will listen to the Windows Vista accounts. Because of that, there will be no compatibility problems in Windows 7, if a user switches from Windows Vista to Windows 7. To reach this aim, the kernel architecture of Windows Vista will be adopt in Windows 7.

If anybody could translate better, please do - befor i put wrong news on the board.

dean

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:22 pm 
Donator

dean corso wrote:
Source:
http://www.pcwelt.de/start/software_os/ ... ws_7_mehr/

Quote:
Bei Windows 7 verspricht Veghte, dass man auf das Feedback der Vista-Kunden hören werde. So werde es bei Windows 7 zu keinerlei Kompatiblitätsproblemen kommen, wenn Anwender von Vista auf Windows 7 umsteigen. Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen, werde man die Kern-Architektur von Windows Vista auch bei Windows 7 einsetzen.

rough translation:
Microsoft will listen to the Windows Vista accounts. Because of that, there will be no compatibility problems in Windows 7, if a user switches from Windows Vista to Windows 7. To reach this aim, the kernel architecture of Windows Vista will be adopt in Windows 7.

If anybody could translate better, please do - befor i put wrong news on the board.

dean

Veghte promised that they will listen more at the feedback of the custimers during the beta of 7. So the user wont face any compatibility problems if you switch from Vista to 7. To reach this, the Kernel of Vista will be used in 7.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:55 pm 
MinWin isn't scrapped. Every Windows Kernel is built on top of it.

See here. http://shippingseven.blogspot.com/2008/ ... inwin.html