BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 21h, 33m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 2801MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: 4074 as a main os?        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
Well I just remembered how much I loved 4074, so I thought about making it my main OS, But then i thought: What apps wont work?
Will FF3 work?
Will ImgBurn work?
Will Nero8 work?
Will WinRAR work?
Most importantly:
Will steam + all the games on there work?

If someone can tell me I would love them :P (Jokes)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:22 pm 
Donator

Firefox 3 SHOULD work.
WinRAR will work.
Nero probably won't work (you may get lucky though).
I've never used ImgBurn (here you may get lucky too)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:26 pm 
FTP Access

Firefox 3 is working, more or less.
The menu bars aren't rendered correctly. (Just white rectangles with black borders and the text in it. But they're working, though it looks ugly)
You should preferr Firefox 2.

To install it you need to install it on a running OS and then copy the folder over to 4074. The installer refuses to do his job (The German one does, don't know about the others) because it says there's not enough space on disk (35 MB requiered, 15 GB free......)
This occurs on both Firefox 2 and 3 and the trick works on both.

WinRAR should work, don't know.

Steam, don't know but I'm going to test it myself because I'm also trying to make it my main os (on the 2nd PC it's working)

The only problem in Longhorn 4074 is the slow TCP/IP stack. Even google takes ages to load completely... Just trying to fix that but no luck yet.

Greetings

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
Well what DirectX does 4074 have? If it has 9 maybe I could get Steam working...

EDIT: Also, what good mods are there for it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
4074 Has DirectX 9.0b

In terms of mods, try the Longhorn 08 Beta 2 patch ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
hounsell wrote:
4074 Has DirectX 9.0b

In terms of mods, try the Longhorn 08 Beta 2 patch ;)

Well i'm gonna try it in VMWare first, If its all good maybe i'll dualboot for a while or something :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:05 pm 
FTP Access

Yet, I was unable to make my USB stick work in Longhorn.
It seems that it does not search for new hardware automatically?
In this Hardware and Devices Center I din't find the entry "Search for new Hardware" and the "Add Hardware" assistant does only offer me a list of hardware and does not do a proper search.

Any ideas? :(
In Xp you have this "New hardware detectet - USB Drive" thing

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: 4074 tweaking.        Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
Ensign Joe wrote:
Yet, I was unable to make my USB stick work in Longhorn.
It seems that it does not search for new hardware automatically?
In this Hardware and Devices Center I din't find the entry "Search for new Hardware" and the "Add Hardware" assistant does only offer me a list of hardware and does not do a proper search.

Any ideas? :(
In Xp you have this "New hardware detectet - USB Drive" thing

Device Manager the xp style :

right click "Computer", select "manage" and you will end up in the Computermanagement console which includes device manager, where you can select/reinstall drivers search for changes in hardware from the top menu and so on.

Do not let LH 4074 search for drivers the "recommended" way. Instead point it to the location of drivers ( 2000 and xp should work, don't dare to try using vista drivers ) by using "pick from a list" feature.

4074 CAN be made stable and finetuned, and it does not require half the specs that vista rtm would need, but it's a hassle of work and you will loose all unique Longhorn features, namely WinFS plus the .NET enabled Explorer.exe ( sidebar on ) the main reasons for all those memory leaks .

removing WinFS completely and using the explorer without sidebar is a solid base for all the other tweaks to follow. ( you can use winfs but you need a gigahertz monster and loads of ram to compensate the leaks ) Do not forget the fixes for the most annoying bugs like new folder fix and so.

I highly recommend using any version of tuneup utilities for the rest ( version 2004,2006 will work ), as it makes tinkering relative easy, of course the app thinks it is running on xp or 2003 but at least that is half-way true :)

8-|

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:38 am 
Donator

I occasionally use 4074 as a main o.s, but most windows updates like versions on .NET framework cant be installed without destroying most of longhorns features so you cant run many newer apps.
Theres a program called ccleaner that i would reccomend no matter what o.s u use, but it will keep longhorn cleaner and running smoother.
Good Luck :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: dotnet in longhorn        Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
jabster wrote:
I occasionally use 4074 as a main o.s, but most windows updates like versions on .NET framework cant be installed without destroying most of longhorns features so you cant run many newer apps.
Theres a program called ccleaner that i would reccomend no matter what o.s u use, but it will keep longhorn cleaner and running smoother.
Good Luck :D

.NET 2.0 can be definately installed on Longhorn 405x and 407x, you just have to make a reference notepad .config file to tell explorer.exe to use the built-in framework version and not the newer one .

I became a bit tired of tinkering with Longhorn but anyway :

there are many ways to trick new apps running on any Beta NT OS, tools like NT imagecfg, tweakNT,Application Verifier, Orca MSI editor and often enough simply brain.exe 8-|

NET Framwork is luckily not dongled into the OS ( except in LH - see above ) so it's just a addon and some registry settings, because LH has all the XP SP1 Apis included, at least any app designed for XP rtm and SP1 should be compatible or can be forced to be so.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:17 am 
Donator

Yeah, 4074 is great at first, but after a while you'll get tired of playing around with it, and move onto somthing else (why not try some of the 5xxx builds?)
@smartie77: i knew about the config file tweak, the one with the explorer.exe.config file?, but isnt that for .Net 2.0 only?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:13 am 
Donator

I don't think it's wise to use a beta as your main OS.

Just out of question, what do you like about 4074?

Top  Profile