BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 10h, 42m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 5643MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Anti-Hack Update For Windows Vista Rev from Microsoft        Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:09 pm 
FTP Access

The release of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 not only heralded a long-awaited update of the operating system, it also meant the end of two common Windows Vista anti-activation exploits - the Grace Timer exploit and the Paradox OEM BIOS activation crack.

But those who think they can escape by not updating to Service Pack 1 would be sadly mistaken.

That's because Microsoft has surreptitiously released an anti-hack detection update via Windows Update. Those who chose to have Windows Vista install updates automatically would have this update installed and running by now. If you chose to manually select updates to be installed, you should find this update listed.

You can see that the KB940510 update is listed as Important. At this point, most users would assume it's an important patch that fixes flaws in Windows Vista and install it. Double-click on the update and you will find this short description.

Microsoft describes the KB940510 update as such :

This update enables Windows Vista to detect activation exploits that bypass product activation and that interfere with usual Windows operation. An exploit is a form of software that replaces or modifies authentic Windows components. When exploits are present on a system, it indicates that a software or hardware vendor may have tampered with genuine Windows to enable the sale of counterfeit software. Therefore, the security and the privacy of the computer are put at risk. After this update is installed, you will know if exploits are present on the system.

In truth, the KB940510 update installs an anti-hack detector that looks for the two most common hacks - the Grace Timer exploit and the Paradox OEM BIOS activation crack. If none of them are detected, then the update silently exits.

If these exploits are detected though, you will be sent to a Microsoft website that will teach you "how you can remove the exploits". Removing the exploits will require you to use a valid product key to activate Windows Vista. However, if you refuse to remove the exploits, Windows will disable them anyway, forcing you to activate Windows Vista using a valid product key.

Currently, KB940510 appears to detect only the Grace Timer and the Paradox OEM BIOS hacks. Both the hardware SLIC BIOS mod and the software Vista Loader hack are not affected.

source: techarp.com

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:14 am 
Yeah, I used to run my Vista of Paradox's OEM Emulation hack
I have purchased Vista legitimately (Ultimate), but I just prefer to use the hack :)

SP1 updated and it said my serial was invalid, so I was in the process of entering my legit serial when I stumbled across about 5 different 'new hacks'.
It's a forever going circle... Hacks will get fixed then hacks will be updated...
Also, any of the people running an illegal cracked version usually check every update ;)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:24 am 
FTP Access

Slipstream SP1, then use the BIOS emulation crack and it works fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:46 pm 
FTP Access

use vistaloader, or modded bios.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:32 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Bah, you guys need to think outside the box...
Find a computer running vista OEM - An internet cafe or university will do; then use this program http://www.maximumpcguides.com/view-your-product-key/

Now you have a legal key
Or you could do what I did
Buy an OEM computer with the software on it...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I think Vista is the 1st MS OS that finally stopped hackers from being Hack the OS. Although, after 7 months, the hackers still could to hack the OS. But, Thats impressive that 7 months there where no real hacks that worked... Remember that hackers hacked XP after 2 months!!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:27 pm 
FTP Access

yeah, but those hacks arent true hacks as you could argue they were mostly manipulation hacks and emulated vista to think something it isnt.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:16 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Daniel1981 wrote:
But, Thats impressive that 7 months there where no real hacks that worked...

Rememeber that hole in business edition activation? You could use some server in China to activate?
I think that came out two months before the official release in January and 3 days after the VLKs were released.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:JO ... cd=2&gl=us

Top  Profile  WWW