BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 10h, 28m | CPU: 2% | MEM: 2449MB of 5435MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How many will buy Vista when its released?        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:06 am 
FTP Access

I'm planning on buying it when it comes out.

Microsoft is projecting huge sales but with warez and torrent site I think they are in for a rude awakening when they release it.

Online news groups also speculate saying that it wont sell as good as MS is planning. They say the switch to vista isnt as need since theres still XP reguardless of the fact that Vista has improved security.

Personally, I think Vista wont sell good untill they drop support on Xp like they recently did with all the pre-xp OS on windows update. Once xp cant be updated from MS anymore, business owners will have no choice to upgrade.

As a result I'm guessing that MS will drop xp support in a year or so to get Vista sales up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
Im not!

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:12 am 
Donator

I won't buy it, I'll save the money for Mac OS X 10.5.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How many will buy Vista when its released?        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:16 am 
FTP Access

DJ 2501 wrote:
Personally, I think Vista wont sell good untill they drop support on Xp like they recently did with all the pre-xp OS on windows update. Once xp cant be updated from MS anymore, business owners will have no choice to upgrade.

As a result I'm guessing that MS will drop xp support in a year or so to get Vista sales up.

XP full support will go 2 years after Vista's release, but extended support (ie only security updates, no other sorts of updates or service packs) will stay for another 5 years, according to Microsoft Lifecycle - by then, Vienna wil be out so businesses could easily skip Vista altogether and still stay security-patched. Unless they skipped XP by keeping 2000 (as 2000 receives security updates for another 3.5 years).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
I'm 50/50 on this issue... for one, I only recently bought a copy of Windows XP MCE, for support to stream video to my Xbox360. I have a feeling that I will buy it, or at the least, I'll get myself a Microsoft Action Pack, which will include at least 1 license for each edition, yet only cost $299 or $399... (Microsoft Partners only).

I've got RC2 on a secondary partition, and so I've been fooling around with it... it has grown on me... When I took a first glance at RC1, I hated every ounce of it. When I installed RC2, I let it seep in... Even though the amount of flashy things is a bit over the top for me, I find that I like it - it's definitely visually pleasing.

Then again, I prefer simple interfaces that don't annoy the hell out of me when doing work. On linux, I prefer to use KDE over Gnome, as Gnome just feels like a visual art abortion, to me... that is, it tries too hard to be separate from everything else.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:26 pm 
FTP Access

yeh im not gonna buy vista until its cracked, since im only 16 and dont have a job im not gonna save up for ages just to get an OS when i could get computer upgrades, games, etc...
or i might stick with RTM and get a few resources from the final vista to complete it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:33 pm 
Donator

so you buy it once it is cracked? :lol:

i might buy an upgrade version sometime.

I don't think it will sell as fast as XP, but in the long run it will be everywhere. Once all the large computer companies drop XP for Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:37 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Anyone who buy's Vista is insane. Its not even finished for crying out loud! In my opinion, XP will always be the best Windows OS for a long time to come, and only a GREAT improvement on Vista will change that.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:42 pm 
Staff

I will buy it, but I may end up reverting back to XP until SP1 is released.
Edit: For typos.

Last edited by Beta Freak on Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:44 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Beta Freak wrote:
I will buy it, but I may end reverting back to XP until SP1 is released.

The thing is they shouldn't have to release a service pack for it for a long time. Its taken them long enough to make this OS, what have they been doing?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:48 pm 
Donator

Good point, but I see that may come true as Longhorn Server will come out later than Vista (apparently!), so they might release Vista SP1 simultaneously with the Server release. And the SP1 would then include all security/performance/whatever improvements that they've managed to include in the server.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:49 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
Good point, but I see that may come true as Longhorn Server will come out later than Vista (apparently!), so they might release Vista SP1 simultaneously with the Server release. And the SP1 would then include all security/performance/whatever improvements that they've managed to include in the server.

Maybe, but they still shouldnt have rushed it towards the end.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:51 pm 
Donator

Andy wrote:
Maybe, but they still shouldnt have rushed it towards the end.

True...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:05 pm 
Donator

Vista does seem incredibly rushed for such a big release. I reckon Microsoft should have taken a few more months to finalise all the minor things that can ruin a users experince.

*i love the FF spell check :lol:*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:07 pm 
Donator

Well, maybe it was rushed because they wanted to finish it in 2006...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:09 pm 
Donator

could have waited one more month! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:03 pm 
FTP Access

They rushed it because they'd promised businesses who'd bought expensive 5-year Software Assurance contracts back in 2001 that they would get the next version of Windows and Office as part of the deal. If they had broken that promise to all those businesses they could have been sued, so that's also why it's going to businesses before consumers, as OEMs etc won't be ready until January but the SA agreements will have expired by then so thney have to rush it to businesses (not that any will actually install it immediately, but their SA contract makes all their XP licenses upgradeable to Vista if Vista comes out before their SA deal is finished, and they can upgrade whenever they want to as they've got the licenses). At least that's what I saw on another site.

Here's my installation of Vista, showing lots of the unfinished icon bugs (and the scale of the "Windows..." nonsense int he Start Menu). Also note how when the icons are set to maximum size, the seem to overlap slightly - in the system32 folder shown, the bottom of the "G" in Winlogon is cut off - sometimes more of the file name is covered too.

Last edited by Vista Ultimate R2 on Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:29 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Here's my installation of Vista, showing lots of the unfinished icon bugs (and the scale of the "Windows..." nonsense int he Start Menu). Also note how when the icons are set to maximum size, the seem to overlap slightly - in the system32 folder shown, the bottom of the "G" in Winlogon is cut off - sometimes more of the file name is covered too.

*sigh* I see a "VistaIze" pack coming sooner or later that hopefully fixes that. And I agree the Classic Start menu just looks unfinished. The mix of all these icons is awful. Do you think MS could and will fix that with the SP1? :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:00 am 
FTP Access

I'm a bit of a die-hard Classic Start Menu person too, so will be looking for a way to sort those icons out. It actually looks better in XP, I think - at least they are consistent there. The XP-style menu is even worse in Vista too, what with squashing all the Programs into that tiny little space, and making you click through loads of folders to find anything. Also, I just dragged a folder from Accessories into Programs in the new-style start menu, and the folder just seemed to vanish! I thought maybe it had dropped in one of the other folders by mistake, but I can't find it anywhere! Weird...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
I'm getting it, no question about that. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
They rushed it because they'd promised businesses who'd bought expensive 5-year Software Assurance contracts back in 2001 that they would get the next version of Windows and Office as part of the deal. If they had broken that promise to all those businesses they could have been sued, so that's also why it's going to businesses before consumers, as OEMs etc won't be ready until January but the SA agreements will have expired by then so thney have to rush it to businesses (not that any will actually install it immediately, but their SA contract makes all their XP licenses upgradeable to Vista if Vista comes out before their SA deal is finished, and they can upgrade whenever they want to as they've got the licenses). At least that's what I saw on another site.

OH GOD THE FONT DIALOG BOX IS STILL THERE.

You'd think that after ~13 years, they'd have changed it to use standardized dialog boxes and icons from this iteration of Windows...

I mean, everything else around that dialog box has been changed... but it seems to be a relic of a simpler time...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
ill wait until Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 6 is released. Other than that, im staying as far away from Vista as I can, RC2 was the worst thing ive ever used. Id rather use Windows 95 than Windows Bloatware- i mean vista.

I'M GLAD I HAVE A MAC!!!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
I think i will wait until at least Vista SP1 is released before even considering buying it.
We all know what happens to rushed Operating Systems so I'm hoping that SP1 will give it more stability.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:27 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... lednp8.jpg

Maybe the non-business dvds will be updated a bit more

Top  Profile