BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 8h, 9m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 2306MB of 3537MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Going from 32-bit to 64-bit Vista. (Discount?)        Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:56 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Just got a Dell Latitude D830 today from Dell today. (My C-540 died two weeks ago and it was under Complete Care) Very nice laptop! Problem is it came included with a 32-bit build of Vista. Is there a way I can obtain a 64-bit license from Microsoft at a discount price since the 32-bit version is included with the PC already?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Going from 32-bit to 64-bit Vista. (Discount?)        Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:07 am 
FTP Access

4tified wrote:
Just got a Dell Latitude D830 today from Dell today. (My C-540 died two weeks ago and it was under Complete Care) Very nice laptop! Problem is it came included with a 32-bit build of Vista. Is there a way I can obtain a 64-bit license from Microsoft at a discount price since the 32-bit version is included with the PC already?

32 bit keys will work on 64 bit installs. All you need is install media....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:01 am 

you can use 32-bit keys for 64 system???

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:10 am 
Donator

I don't think there is a discount. You would have to buy an upgrade copy.
Maybe that easy upgrade would cover it, but you got to pay for the discounted price and shipping of the disc (ms dont offer product keys though internet anymore).

I foyu have an OEM key, I don't think it would work from a x86 to an x64 switch, but i never tried it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Thanks for the replies... I talked to a Dell representative (what was I thinking?) and he said I would have to buy another copy....which makes me wonder if that key will work for the 64-bit version of Vista. I already knew the Retail version of Vista 32-bit & 64-bit could untilize the same key, but was unsure about OEM versions. It should work though, it would only be fair imo.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:22 am 
Donator

4tified wrote:
Thanks for the replies... I talked to a Dell representative (what was I thinking?) and he said I would have to buy another copy....which makes me wonder if that key will work for the 64-bit version of Vista. I already knew the Retail version of Vista 32-bit & 64-bit could untilize the same key, but was unsure about OEM versions. It should work though, it would only be fair imo.

OEM copies are sold as either 32bit or 64bit, not combined unlike the retail product. (1 dvd for OEM vs 2 in Retail packaging)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:02 am 
FTP Access

XDude wrote:
4tified wrote:

OEM copies are sold as either 32bit or 64bit, not combined unlike the retail product. (1 dvd for OEM vs 2 in Retail packaging)

Correct, but the OEM keys will work with either 32 bit or 64 bit. I would try to get a hold of a 64 bit DVD and give it a try.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
OEM Key's still work for both 32Bit and 64Bit. There is a microsoft site (i've forgotten the link though) where owners of OEM media can enter their key and purchase either 32Bit, 64Bit (depending on what you have already) Genuine DVDs (in the UK, it cost about £7 or $14 including postage) or 32Bit on CDs...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
hounsell wrote:
OEM Key's still work for both 32Bit and 64Bit. There is a microsoft site (i've forgotten the link though) where owners of OEM media can enter their key and purchase either 32Bit, 64Bit (depending on what you have already) Genuine DVDs (in the UK, it cost about £7 or $14 including postage) or 32Bit on CDs...

I'll see if I can Google for that site. There was another site that someone suggested doing the same thing, but the site was down or had a different address.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:23 pm 
FTP Access

I only know of the MS media ordering site, but it only accepts retail keys. I have a Dell laptop that came preinstalled with 32-bit Vista Business though that I reformatted with a 64-bit retail DVD and used the key on the machine's COA and it activated fine, so if you can get the DVD (easily downloadable if necessary) you can use your key.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:27 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I only know of the MS media ordering site, but it only accepts retail keys. I have a Dell laptop that came preinstalled with 32-bit Vista Business though that I reformatted with a 64-bit retail DVD and used the key on the machine's COA and it activated fine, so if you can get the DVD (easily downloadable if necessary) you can use your key.

Hahaha...JUST thought of that prior to reading this post. Trying the retail disc right now!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:03 am 
Donator

4tified wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

Hahaha...JUST thought of that prior to reading this post. Trying the retail disc right now!

AFAIK, Vista retail and OEM dvds are the same thing. Both having a label LRMCFRE_EN or FRMCFRE_EN.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Ok, tried to use the key supplied with the computer, it worked and everything was great. However, upon first-time boot after initial installation, the computer Blue-Screens after the first 3-4 seconds of the startup screen appearing. Tried both RTM Builds and RC1 build of Vista x64. I must have some incompatible hardware or something.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:20 pm 
FTP Access

Turn off AHCI in the Bios (select ATA instead) - I had exactly the same problem. It's not a problem with the 64-bit, the preinstalled Dell 32-bit one has some special drivers loaded for AHCI I think. I think you can get AHCI to work by loading drivers for it at the start of setup but it works fine just set to ATA.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Turn off AHCI in the Bios (select ATA instead) - I had exactly the same problem. It's not a problem with the 64-bit, the preinstalled Dell 32-bit one has some special drivers loaded for AHCI I think. I think you can get AHCI to work by loading drivers for it at the start of setup but it works fine just set to ATA.

Ya know, I thought about that and was about to turn it off last night, but for some reason I neglected to. The newest versions of Vista have (with SP1) have the Dell AHCI drivers integrated and are installed at setup, as with my experince in the test-trial of installing Vista Ultimate 64-bit (w/ SP1) Glad you told me though! I may not have ever tried that again! :o

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:44 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Awesome! It worked fine this time after disabling AHCI. Now gonna install SP1 and re-enable it once the drivers are loaded. Thanks guys!

Top  Profile