BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 59d, 23h, 24m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 5113MB of 12191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: on topic of APPA and Desktop Aurora        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:44 pm 

Favourite OS
Android, Longhorn, WebOS
So I've been staring at preview pane Aurora that was found in builds 4066 and 4074 and at that desktop Aurora from 4050, and I've been wondering.

How they were actually made?

They are XAML files with animated content. I know that Microsoft Expression Design let users create vector content too, but not animated one AFAIK. And there was no MED that time around. So what was it? Some kind of internal software? Or was it converted from another software (IDK, Macromedia Flash)?

Post your ideas.

I wonder if some from online community can come up with similar animation but one made in HTML5.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: on topic of APPA and Desktop Aurora        Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:12 am 

Favourite OS
Longhorn
This might be of help:
https://longhorn.ms/aurora-aero/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: on topic of APPA and Desktop Aurora        Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:24 pm 

Favourite OS
Android, Longhorn, WebOS
SAIYAN48 wrote:
This might be of help:
https://longhorn.ms/aurora-aero/

It doesn't explain squat on how it was made, who or how created xaml/baml files.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: on topic of APPA and Desktop Aurora        Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 pm 

Favourite OS
NT 5 & 6
best guess would be in Macromedia
then later i guess ported the idea over when "avalon" matured a bit ... ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: on topic of APPA and Desktop Aurora        Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn
On the topic of XAML and BAML, you might find this enlightening: https://longhorn.ms/avalon-compiling-it/ The early revisions of Avalon did not support advanced animations , but by the time APPA was introduced Avalon sure did. As shown in the article quoted earlier, there were also versions of aurora using DirectX and sliding PNGs to create the illusion of movement. As for a HTML5/CSS animated aurora: Lukas made such a contraption for the Experience Longhorn website waay back. It was the home page of longhorn.ms for some time :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: on topic of APPA and Desktop Aurora        Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:43 pm 

Favourite OS
Android, Longhorn, WebOS
Melcher wrote:
As for a HTML5/CSS animated aurora: Lukas made such a contraption for the Experience Longhorn website waay back. It was the home page of longhorn.ms for some time :)

I'd rather if it returned. Would be much more interesting than flat static webpage we have now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: on topic of APPA and Desktop Aurora        Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:43 am 

Oooh, those are pretty. Maybe we can get something like this made and ported onto Windows 10 using the alternate shell feature.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: on topic of APPA and Desktop Aurora        Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
sorry for the bump..

Melcher wrote:
there were also versions of aurora using DirectX and sliding PNGs to create the illusion of movement.

This was my understanding as well in regards to the usage of .PNGs to create the illusion they were moving, I was never able to find any info in regards to HOW they were actually created, but I do have some of the .PNG's that were used for the M4 Auroras (I thought I included those in my Demos & Design upload but they aren't in there) I can .RAR what I have if someone wants to take a look at them or if you just want to add them to your collection, I don't even recall where I got them from but looking at what I have: AURORA_A.png and AURORA_B.png could easily be layered to create an animation and were the exact same ones used for the M4 wallpaper and the same ones I used to create some Aurora wallpapers back in the days of joejoe.org.

I did make a post on joejoe.org back in the day about PPA and later reposted it on my site: https://djcityboy.wordpress.com/2011/04 ... ws-aurora/

here is a link to the .PNGs: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kgwfhbbmq ... s.rar/file
* the create date for the files all show Feb 26 2010 but i'll note that the file labelled as: Longhorn_Aero_template copy.png seems out of place to me, but it shares the same create date as the other files so I left the full folder intact "as is" and didn't add or remove anything.

peas
cityboy

https://djcityboy.wordpress.com/

Top  Profile  WWW