BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 63d, 2h, 11m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5190MB of 12174MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
5270 Server
Hello, I just saw this article in my newsfeed and could not yet find a discussion about it on here:

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/12/07/someo ... es-checks/

The article states "Windows 7 Home, Starter or Ultimate editions would be able to receive updates provided by the Extended Security Updates program when the bypass is installed."

What do you think about this?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:03 pm 

Favourite OS
Longhorn 5231/Vista SP2 Ultimate
Well, if the statement is true, then I guess that's good for Win7 users. If not, oh well. I'm not really much of a Win7 person myself but I could see it being useful for others.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:29 am 

Your article also says
Quote:
The bypass works with Microsoft's test update but it is unclear if it will also work with "real" updates that the company releases after the January 2020 Patch Day.

It's likely the eligibility verification code in the test update is a placeholder and checks for actual updates will be stronger, especially now that the media is bringing attention to this.
The extended support program is intended for businesses that can't update, not consumers. Consumers with older machines are better off updating or installing a Linux distribution.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:43 am 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
MrBurgerKing wrote:
or installing a Linux distribution.

How about no?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:30 am 
Donator

JimOlive wrote:
MrBurgerKing wrote:

How about no?

Some people might not wish to stay with an obsolete, out of date operating system that's rotting with each day since the end of support.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista 5212.winmain.050726-1915
What a farce. Guess what actually requires a license? "My Digital Life" should go the way of the dodo.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:46 am 

Favourite OS
Favorite*
AlphaBeta wrote:
JimOlive wrote:
MrBurgerKing wrote:

How about no?

Some people might not wish to stay with an obsolete, out of date operating system that's rotting with each day since the end of support.

You might as well hackintosh your pc, Linux distros can be a pain sometimes, it depends which one. If you’re going to stay on an unsupported OS, you might as well slap XP on a second partition.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:08 pm 
Donator

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
You might as well hackintosh your pc, Linux distros can be a pain sometimes, it depends which one.

This might be one of the most odd comparisons I've seen this week. Hackintoshing requires paying close attention to your hardware for the optimal experience, and even if you have the right hardware there's still a lot to figure out and watch out for. On the other hand something like the latest Ubuntu release is extremely likely to just work on most PCs, especially ones from the Windows 7 era.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP SP3
Wheatley wrote:
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
You might as well hackintosh your pc, Linux distros can be a pain sometimes, it depends which one.

This might be one of the most odd comparisons I've seen this week. Hackintoshing requires paying close attention to your hardware for the optimal experience, and even if you have the right hardware there's still a lot to figure out and watch out for. On the other hand something like the latest Ubuntu release is extremely likely to just work on most PCs, especially ones from the Windows 7 era.

As someone with some experience with Hackintoshing, agreed.

MrBurgerKing wrote:
Your article also says
Quote:
The bypass works with Microsoft's test update but it is unclear if it will also work with "real" updates that the company releases after the January 2020 Patch Day.

It's likely the eligibility verification code in the test update is a placeholder and checks for actual updates will be stronger, especially now that the media is bringing attention to this.
The extended support program is intended for businesses that can't update, not consumers. Consumers with older machines are better off updating or installing a Linux distribution.

Yeah. I doubt that Microsoft is just gonna sit idly by and let this workaround go unpatched.

In fact, methinks that this was one of the points of the test update: To see if the community of luddite computer geeks can find a workaround for this... just for Microsoft to learn how the workaround works and to patch it out. And I bet that once Windows 7's support ends and the first ESU updates comes out with this workaround patched, that same community of geeks will find another workaround. And Microsoft will patch that. And so on.

So, yeah. If you're planning on sticking with Windows 7 for some reason and you're not a business who needs (and can actually purchase) the extra support to help transition to Windows 10 or whatever, don't get your hopes up too much. It's very likely that once the first ESU updates roll out, Microsoft would've patched this out... and is also willing to go on a jailbreaking-esque cat and mouse game over this.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:02 pm 
FTP Access

I don't think they'll start playing cat and mouse, at least not for serious. More likely they'll aim for keeping it juuust enough of a hassle to nudge people into upgrading (like they should). Similar to not letting that annoying "Genuine Advantage Notification" install itself on XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I think it’s a good way for end-users that are a little bit computer enthusiastic to use Windows 7 in the future. Everybody must know by themself, what OS they are using and what they are installing on it.

Btw, official thread about BypassESU by @abbodi1406 on MDL (v3 already): https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... ity.80606/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
wavemaster76 wrote:
I think it’s a good way for end-users that are a little bit computer enthusiastic to use Windows 7 in the future. Everybody must know by themself, what OS they are using and what they are installing on it.

Btw, official thread about BypassESU by @abbodi1406 on MDL (v3 already): https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... ity.80606/

It is only a method to be used or shared by unscrupulous individuals; the support actually requires a legitimate license—it does not matter how "enthusiastic" one is about computers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
But you will get updates, which will be the most interesting part for the most here.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
wavemaster76 wrote:
But you will get updates, which will be the most interesting part for the most here.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

But "the most" here are not legally allowed to have those updates. No / license / program / SKU? No updates.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:33 pm 
Donator

Their point was that people interested in this don't care about legality.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Wheatley wrote:
Their point was that people interested in this don't care about legality.

I am obligated to mince words because of our audience. What a freaking load of selfish nonsense.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Extended Windows 7 support, even on Home & Starter SKUs        Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
There is not a doubt in my mind Microsoft released that initial update test to gauge how popular this gig would become.
In addition the magnitude of methods needed to counter the "skript-kiddies" promoting and "developing" methods to improperly obtain those paid updates.

It is not like Microsoft is sitting by naive. Nadella wants you on Windows 10.

And how in the world do those kiddies and "bypassESU" know their hackjob is actually going to work when the time comes? They don't. It is guesswork. And the fact it is on version 3 already and not necessary yet (or even known working) is dubious.
Sounds like an excellent cesspool waiting to fill as vectored malware-spreading joint. I do not see how this will end positively.

Top  Profile