BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 63d, 2h, 1m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5169MB of 12174MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
I could are less. Because I haven't used Windows 7 in quite a while, now that I've switched to being a full Windows 10 user. I hope my school upgrades some of their computers to the latest OS, because some of them still run 7, but I'm sure they'll do something about it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:49 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I don't think that will happen. Schools are usually quite delayed on the subject of upgrading OSes. I experienced that first hand.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
It really depends on the organization.

For instance, privately funded schools will typically have better budgets for this sort of thing.
State funded schools, I remember dealing with several P3 machines running Xp until the end. And then we were tasked to put 7 on them last minute.
The district just didn't have the budget to replace them.

With 7's EOL approaching, I helped out with a few migrate to 10 as a side job.
Most districts I know of under a tight budget went for Academic volume channels.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
abandonwareisthebest wrote:
I don't think that will happen. Schools are usually quite delayed on the subject of upgrading OSes. I experienced that first hand.

Heck, some organizations have already upgraded to the newest and hottest OS :P But like I said, some of the computers at my school still run Windows 7, but most of the others have already been upgraded to Windows 10. I probably won't pester them to upgrade all of their systems at this time.

Going back to the actual core of this topic, it really is hard to believe that Microsoft is actually about to pull the plugs on all of Windows 7's support. Those nine/ten years of support for the OS have just gone by in the blink of an eye.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:52 pm 

Favourite OS
Any KDE distro from the 2000's
My school is using a dual boot windows 7 and some version of os x (probably lion) but they very rarely use mac os, and use 7 for pretty much everything; students use chromebooks, which means chrome os.

Intel Core i7 3.6GHz
2TB HDD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS-DOS & Win 3.x
In my work all workstations use Windows 7sp1 and I don't think they will update them to Windows 10 or 8.1 shortly.

On my daily home PC I already migrated to Windows 8.1 x64 with the Open shell menu that simulates the Windows 7 menu, below I leave the link in case anyone is interested. ;)

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

I'm looking for PC abandonware software, applications, OS, CAD, word processing, spreadsheets, programming, educational software, databases, sound or graphics editors, file managers, etc. If you have some old software or collection please share it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
By the looks of it, Windows 8 Series (& 2012) are getting lumped in with Win7 in terms of 3rd party support. AMD dropped Win 8.1 support for their graphics pushing you to install Win7 drivers, as well as Nvidia lumping Win8.1 drivers with Win7.

I'm also starting to see "Only on Windows 10" programs appearing as well. So it appears an early end is coming to Win 8.X as their excuse to support anything older that Win10 version XXXXXX is about to go away. Similar as Vista when a majority of developers started dropping it 3 years before support ended when Xp went out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:08 pm 

Favourite OS
Longhorn 5231/Vista SP2 Ultimate
I'm not really concerned about Windows 7's EOL. For those who don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 and are panicking about this I honestly think "switching to Linux" isn't a very great idea. Just install Windows 8.1. It's much more lightweight than Windows 10, and it doesn't spy on you! Also, it's a lot faster in my opinion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista
They’re probably going to start pushing Windows 10 notifications again.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:30 am 
Donator

TheROFL98 wrote:
They’re probably going to start pushing Windows 10 notifications again.

What would be the point? People who wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 have already done so.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista 5212.winmain.050726-1915
I think... it really does not matter what any of us think; none of us have any say in the matter.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:44 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
Looks like Microsoft is planning on bringing forth from bowels the legendary full-screen warning telling you the world as you know it shall end.

Or at least they plan on giving you full-screen warnings at regular intervals telling you Windows 7 support is about to end. I mean like well duh we obviously know, it's not like the media wastes their time telling us that and you started sending messages about it year or two ago. I don't need malware-style popups to tell me that.

Just search "full screen win7 warnings" on search engine of your choice.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 am 

Favourite OS
Favorite*
Windows 10 past 1607 really started to suck. VirtualBox broke, compatibility with older apps went right out the window, etc.

Microsoft doesn’t need to nag about getting you to upgrade to Windows 10, people have already chosen sides.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:10 pm 
Donator

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
VirtualBox broke, ...

VirtualBox always breaks with new Windows releases. It happened even before Windows 10, so it's hardly surprising it still happens.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10 17655
So if the going gets tough I would activate or buy the extended support period,
Windows 7 was really cool
after the service packs it was very very stable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista 5212.winmain.050726-1915
soliver84 wrote:
So if the going gets tough I would activate or buy the extended support period,
Windows 7 was really cool
after the service packs it was very very stable.

If "the going gets tough" the only legal recourse would be a purchase; any activation of such would legally require a legitimate license.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
Maza wrote:
If "the going gets tough" the only legal recourse would be a purchase; any activation of such would legally require a legitimate license.

Even then, the only SKUs that qualify are Pro and Enterprise. Which I highly doubt that user is running.
Not to mention Microsoft knows users are going to try to pull fast ones, and those users were stupid enough to go public early. It is likely Microsoft will employ more stringent techniques to attempt to deter "hacky" users from getting those paid updates for free and/or on unqualified systems.

Top  Profile