BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 18d, 20h, 38m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 5722MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:36 am 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
Title basically says it all. What do you think of Microsoft’s decision to basically forget 7 even existed? Do you guys think that anybody running Windows 7 will get a force update From Microsoft? Post what you think below!

PLEASE, DO NOT turn this topic into a war about oh this is better than this. I could care less about how fast your machine boots off a SSD vs an HDD or how expensive your computer is. Please do not post that kind of stuff because this is a topic about Windows 7’s EOL.

Now, with that out of the way, post your thoughts.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:27 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Vista
Expected. They're trying to not have another XP incident where they provided major updates for another 4 or 5 years. They're trying to have it peacefully pass on like Vista did.

#8032forbrian came true

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:26 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows XP
I’m sure that it’s gonna peacefully pass on when we reach Windows 8.1’s EOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
beta.a.brian wrote:
Expected. They're trying to not have another XP incident where they provided major updates for another 4 or 5 years. They're trying to have it peacefully pass on like Vista did.

yeah and they did that by ending WES7 support period to (almost) same as standard win7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:04 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I doubt anyone will be given a forced update, although maybe they might start pushing notifications again about upgrading to Windows 10. Hopefully they just let it pass on peacefully.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:14 am 
FTP Access

Embedded POSReady 7 and Thin PC have like 1 year and 9 months of support after mainline 7 dies off. However, like with Server 2008 updates on Vista you would most likely have to download and install them manually, which I’m sure many people are too lazy/forgetful to do.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:56 am 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
I don't care, despite being an XP x64 user. I'm thinking of moving to 8.1 x64.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
Longesthorn wrote:
Embedded POSReady 7 and Thin PC have like 1 year and 9 months of support after mainline 7 dies off. However, like with Server 2008 updates on Vista you would most likely have to download and install them manually, which I’m sure many people are too lazy/forgetful to do.

What about Server 2008 R2? That one is based on Windows 7 as well. (R2 is 7 (x64 only) and the simple x86 one is Vista based AFAIK)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Yep, W7 just gonna go. As we leaved XP. It's just a progress for HW, by SW.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 am 
FTP Access

Schneider616 wrote:
Longesthorn wrote:

What about Server 2008 R2? That one is based on Windows 7 as well. (R2 is 7 (x64 only) and the simple x86 one is Vista based AFAIK)

Server 2008 R2 has the same EoL date as 7, so trying to install its updates on 7 would just be pointless.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Windows 7 was, and in ways, still is a great OS, but all things come to a close. It does make me feel slightly old, as I remember being younger and excited about both Vista and 7. Windows 10 doesn't give me the excitement anymore, but I suppose growing older might have played a part in that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
DanielOosterhuis wrote:
Windows 7 was, and in ways, still is a great OS, but all things come to a close. It does make me feel slightly old, as I remember being younger and excited about both Vista and 7. Windows 10 doesn't give me the excitement anymore, but I suppose growing older might have played a part in that.

I think that might have something to do with the fact that Windows 10 is the last 'traditionally' released OS, so updates are no longer massive leaps in functionality and graphic design, they're just smaller updates added on to the system.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
I'm actually wondering how this is gonna affect application support. Many apps still support Windows 7 to this date, and while they could drop support for 7 in the EOL date, just like many apps did with XP, apps might still support it some 1, 2, or even 3 years more (like Chrome (1y) and Firefox(3y) to XP for example).

Also people might begin to make some kind of KernelEx for Windows 7 porting Windows 8(.0) functions, just like they did port XP functions from Vista. And this is much more probably (than Vista), because of its wide usage (like another XP). However, even though I don't know a lot about porting functions and such, I think it might be a real challenge to port functions from 8(.1 mostly), because of the radical architecture change that came with it.

But at the end, I don't care too much since I use Vista XD.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 am 

Favourite OS
950C, 2195 USP5.1, 3790, 7600
Didn't the Windows 7 Platform Update port over most of the W8 functions? There haven't been many new ones since; plus, I think some newer functions were added in the last few years of updates along with the partial DX12 implementation.

Based on that, lots of software will probably support Windows 7 until at least the late 2020s. Even as of now we've only lost Office 2019* and a few video-editing applications like Premiere Pro CC and DaVinci Resolve. I think the only drop of hardware support was from Intel graphics.

*there's a script that can allow it be to installed on Windows 7

I'm still using Windows 2000, but with a W7 VM for MTP support. So I haven't even really started my migration to Windows 7 yet. If it's still feasible in a few years from now, that is what I will run.

Quicken.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98
Shibodo wrote:
I doubt anyone will be given a forced update, although maybe they might start pushing notifications again about upgrading to Windows 10. Hopefully they just let it pass on peacefully.

Microsoft would never make a stupid mistake like that again. They only do stupid things once.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:25 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I don't think people will just start using Windows 10 out of the blue. This same thing happened back in 2014 with Windows XP's EOL. It will take time, but not as much as back then, given that computers with Windows 7 generally support 10's minimum requirements, which wasn't the case with XP machines for 7 or even 8.1.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
Naw, they just bought back nagging.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:58 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
My computer is able to run 10 perfectly fine but I choose to not use it. The main reason being I don’t like the UI. They took 8’s start menu and slapped it over 7’s imo. I am not a fan of this. That’s why I have 7 and XP x64 dualbooted instead of 7 and 10. Also Win10 messes with your partitioning and you have to have it partitioned with MBR if you use legacy BIOS mode otherwise it just formats it to GPT. That’s another thing about 10. It forces your BIOS to run in UEFI, if it has options.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:12 pm 
Donator

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
Also Win10 messes with your partitioning and you have to have it partitioned with MBR if you use legacy BIOS mode otherwise it just formats it to GPT.

Windows has never supported booting from GPT volumes on legacy BIOS systems and from MBR volumes on UEFI systems, so this behavior quite makes sense...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:46 pm 

Favourite OS
NT 5 & 6
doesn't help what i or anyone thinks of MS
they did what it was ordered them to do

as for win7, i still use it, and will use it (x64)
OS going to EOL doesn't mean its "over"

there is nothing wrong with OS
and there will nothing be wrong

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:02 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
AlphaBeta wrote:
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
Also Win10 messes with your partitioning and you have to have it partitioned with MBR if you use legacy BIOS mode otherwise it just formats it to GPT.

Windows has never supported booting from GPT volumes on legacy BIOS systems and from MBR volumes on UEFI systems, so this behavior quite makes sense...

My BIOS supports legacy and UEFI. I have UEFI disabled, and windows boot manager in Windows 10 forced my UEFI setting in my bios.

mrpijey wrote:
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
It appears as though Microsoft has changed their policy regarding ESU. You no longer need to be a qualifying Vol customer.

Now if you happen to be a "proper business" using Pro or Enterprise you can purchase it for a premium.

https://query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com ... ry/RE3TwaS

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:57 am 

Favourite OS
950C, 2195 USP5.1, 3790, 7600
Remember to watch the Windows Update Catalog like a hawk; some XP timezone update appeared on there in June, but was retracted fairly quickly. I think patches for anything really serious gets released publicly, just like we have seen a few times for XP.

Other Windows 7-related services, such as the WMC EPG, are to be discontinued in January:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... center#343

Quicken.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
It's really sad to see older versions of Windows reaching EOL. :cry: Windows 7 was the first OS to have the Superbar. It was also the only other version besides Vista, its predecessor, to have the Aero theme. I was forced to use Windows 10 as I bought a PC last year and there's no drivers available for this PC on older versions of Windows (meaning no Windows 8 either). But there's this proverb everyone knows: What must come up must come down. I honestly would have sticked to a Windows 7 and Windows 8 dual-boot setup. I'll keep Windows 7 but for only offline purposes. Windows 8, I'll keep using, even past its EOL and use Windows 10 for online purposes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you guys think of Windows 7’s EOL?        Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
I use Server 2012R2/Win 8.1. On my recent Z390 build, usb 3 worked out of the box, although it was set to 3.0. chipset drivers also installed, granting me the usb 2 and the usb 3.1 g2 hub (although also brought down to 3.0). And keep in mind this is a board released last year.

Only problem was integrated graphics and ethernet.

You just have to go hunting for drivers. Some that say they only run on 10 can be coaxed to run on NT63.

Otherwise, Win8 series has pretty much become standard on my home computers replacing Vista and the one that ran 7.
Only exception is my x230t which seems like 9834 was meant for it.

Top  Profile