BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 56d, 0h, 16m | CPU: 14% | MEM: 4888MB of 11937MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Internal special edition of Windows 7?        Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:52 am 

Favourite OS
E.G. 6001
Hello! I am new here and I would like to start with a comment from a friend that works at Microsoft.

Last year he told me that he was very busy because he was working on building a "special" version of Windows 7 intented to be used by "upper management" at Microsoft.

Do you know anything about this "special" Windows 7?

My friend still works at MS, but I do not want to bother him with lots of questions. Maybe if no one in this forum knows anything then I will ask him for more information.

Thank you all! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I want to share an interesting information for you        Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 pm 
Administrator

That's highly unlikely since Windows 7 is becoming EOL, unless it's just some internal custom project, which means it's not something of special interest for Microsoft to put to market. Sure, companies do all kinds of "special" stuff internally, but considering Microsoft owns and manufacturers the software AND the hardware internally they would not have any need to work on such an old platform, but would most likely use Windows 10 as a base to run on their hardware. And the managers would also not have such old hardware requiring an OS that is soon becoming EOL.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: I want to share an interesting information for you        Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:44 am 

Favourite OS
Microsoft would bring win7 mode to win10 like xp mode to win7?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I want to share an interesting information for you        Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:06 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
Haha yeah no.

Microsoft wants everyone to forget Win7 ever existed. Not to mention many programs written during the 7 era still work fine under 10.
It wasn't so much a problem moving from 7 to 10 as Xp to 7 with enterprises still hovering on IE6, 16-bit and other programs with the "good enough" mentality.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I want to share an interesting information for you        Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7077 Korean
I think its Win7 extended support to 2022, for some money for use on companies...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I want to share an interesting information for you        Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:51 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
HexagonWin wrote:
I think its Win7 extended support to 2022, for some money for use on companies...

That's quite unlikely, OP mentioned that it was only being used for 'higher management' at Microsoft. Although, I don't know why they'd want to use Win7...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I want to share an interesting information for you        Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:29 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
wyf180 wrote:
Microsoft would bring win7 mode to win10 like xp mode to win7?

The only reason Windows XP mode was created was that Windows Vista and 7 used a different driver model, while Windows 10 simply improves upon the Windows 7 driver model (with older drivers still compatible). Furthermore, they made huge changes in Vista (like changing folder structure from All Users and Documents, apps no longer run as administrator by default, and other security changes that would make apps incompatible). None of that applies to Windows 10. That said, you can still run Windows 7 in a VM if you want, and get the Seamless or Unity mode using either Virtualbox or VMWare.
HexagonWin wrote:

2023*

Last edited by YueLing11 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I want to share an interesting information for you        Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:42 am 

Favourite OS
NT 5 & 6
Shibodo wrote:
OP mentioned that it was only being used for 'higher management' at Microsoft. Although, I don't know why they'd want to use Win7...

considering that 8 and 10 are stuffed with huge amount of garbage
and if theoretically they patched sys files, and added some changes to kernel for new HW

why not ?
-

maybe a somewhat clean slate is needed for some next project ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I want to share an interesting information for you        Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:09 pm 
FTP Access

LuLu wrote:
Shibodo wrote:
OP mentioned that it was only being used for 'higher management' at Microsoft. Although, I don't know why they'd want to use Win7...

considering that 8 and 10 are stuffed with huge amount of garbage
and if theoretically they patched sys files, and added some changes to kernel for new HW

why not ?
-

maybe a somewhat clean slate is needed for some next project ?

I think they may develop special edition of some legacy version for paid support in enterprise and many reason as research...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Internal special edition of Windows 7?        Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:34 am 
FTP Access

They already have that "clean slate". Do you know those Windows Embedded (or IoT, or whatever else they're calling it these days) editions? Yeah, those are basically your normal Windows, but broken down into components so you can install only those parts you need/want on the target device.

(Don't confuse that with the "the OS formerly known as CE" line of products though. Completely different things.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I want to share an interesting information for you        Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
arielu wrote:
I think they may develop special edition of some legacy version for paid support in enterprise and many reason as research...

There will be no any special editions.
YueLing11 wrote:
The only reason Windows XP mode was created was that Windows Vista and 7 used a different driver model, while Windows 10 simply improves upon the Windows 7 driver model (with older drivers still compatible). Furthermore, they made huge changes in Vista (like changing folder structure from All Users and Documents, apps no longer run as administrator by default, and other security changes that would make apps incompatible). None of that applies to Windows 10. That said, you can still run Windows 7 in a VM if you want, and get the Seamless or Unity mode using either Virtualbox or VMWare.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I want to share an interesting information for you        Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista 5212.winmain.050726-1915
YueLing11 wrote:
arielu wrote:

There will be no any special editions.
YueLing11 wrote:

This changed folder structure you mention is major when contrasted with the previous "Documents and Settings" setup. Known as Known Folders it was, for example, at one time the basis for the PC-to-PC Sync feature and, even today, allows the creation of Search Folders that are not hardcoded to physical paths on disk (e.g., C:\Users\YueLing11\Pictures).

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]