BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 23h, 10m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 5824MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:51 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:43 am

Posts
29

Favourite OS
Windows XP Home with SP3 x86
Ever since Windows started supporting natively supporting virtual pc emulation (in the pro version of Windows) all versions of Windows stopped supporting the MS Virtual PC software itself. Yes, even home versions of Windows (that don't natively support virtual pc emulation) now won't let MS Virtual PC run. So if you are needing to run a virtual pc, and you have the home version of Win10, you seem to be just out of luck (and need to switch to something like Virtual Box instead). Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.

My best bet for running a Windows guest OS is trying to figure out a hack that will let me install the Microsoft Virtual PC software on Windows 10. Anybody here know how to do that?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:56 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Posts
56

Favourite OS
6000
Try this
http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php?t=19227


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:06 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Posts
1997

Location
Czechia
It might work on x86. It certainly doesn't work on x64, since it relies on an implementation detail that was broken during the development of Windows 10.

Videogamer555 wrote:
Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.
That's a pretty poor argument. Do you think that computer vendors know how Windows works internally?

There are the VirtualBox Guest Additions for Windows. Is that not enough optimization?

_________________
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:37 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Posts
350

Location
Russia

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
AlphaBeta wrote:
Videogamer555 wrote:
Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.
That's a pretty poor argument. Do you think that computer vendors know how Windows works internally?

There are the VirtualBox Guest Additions for Windows. Is that not enough optimization?

you should try them on windows 1.0 premiere edition *hehe*

_________________
quality signature


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:39 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:45 am

Posts
151

Location
Asia

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
MCpillager12 wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:
Videogamer555 wrote:
Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.
That's a pretty poor argument. Do you think that computer vendors know how Windows works internally?

There are the VirtualBox Guest Additions for Windows. Is that not enough optimization?

you should try them on windows 1.0 premiere edition *hehe*

Did he say about the OS he need on VM? You seems repeated "you should try them on X"

_________________
MeWe | YouTube | BetaWiki

Other:
Fake/incorrect Windows Startup & Shutdown Sounds
Everything You Need to Know About Windows Startup and Shutdown Sounds (NO COPYING)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:44 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Posts
350

Location
Russia

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
i meant if op can use vbox guest additions on windows 1.0 pe.

_________________
quality signature


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:49 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Posts
63

Location
In the not too distant future... next Sunday, A.D.

Favourite OS
Windows 10 (don't @ me)
MCpillager12 wrote:
i meant if op can use vbox guest additions on windows 1.0 pe.

You wouldn't use VirtualBox for Windows 1.x-9x..

_________________
Image
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:14 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:07 am

Posts
386

Location
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
LilShootDawg wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:
i meant if op can use vbox guest additions on windows 1.0 pe.

You wouldn't use VirtualBox for Windows 1.x-9x..

It's a joke.

_________________
Objectively Best Mainstream Microsoft OSes Released in the 2000's (IMO, time of release POV):
1. Windows 7
2. Windows XP
3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:41 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:29 pm

Posts
1457

Location
SE Asia

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
I've installed VMware player with XP, then installed virtual pc into that.

_________________
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:15 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Posts
282

Location
GMT+2 w/dst

Favourite OS
6.0.6001
Offtopic Comment
louisw3 wrote:
I've installed VMware player with XP, then installed virtual pc into that.

Does the mouse work well? I've tried this before but it always runs too fast within the vpc machine, even with the additions installed.

_________________
<!--Placeholder-->


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:46 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:37 am

Posts
454
I have Windows 10 64-bit host and I did the same thing, the cursor is just too fast that it simply jumps from corner to corner.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Posts
350

Location
Russia

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
LilShootDawg wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:
i meant if op can use vbox guest additions on windows 1.0 pe.

You wouldn't use VirtualBox for Windows 1.x-9x..

yea but some people would be stupid enough to do so :D

_________________
quality signature


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:06 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Posts
282

Location
GMT+2 w/dst

Favourite OS
6.0.6001
ComputerHunter wrote:
I have Windows 10 64-bit host and I did the same thing, the cursor is just too fast that it simply jumps from corner to corner.

It is possible to avoid this but I unfortunately don't know how, over at BW BF10 installed several builds in VPC under Vbox.

_________________
<!--Placeholder-->


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:22 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Posts
161
At that point, would it make more sense to dual boot 10 and 7? If not full 7, maybe an embedded version?
For me, VMware was roughly comparable in terms of performance to hyperv, and faster then virtualpc. You should be fine with it.
You can also consider dual booting Linux and using KVM if you want performance closer to bare metal.
Side note, Virtual box 6 and up can supposedly run on the HyperV platform, which is included on all editions of 10 on 1809 and above. Unfortunately it seems to be slow and buggy at the moment.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:09 pm

Posts
20

Favourite OS
4074
I can confirm VPC 2007 can work in Win 10 x86


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:57 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:51 am

Posts
8

Favourite OS
Windows 95 OSR2 (4.00.950 B)
Vova23 wrote:
I can confirm VPC 2007 can work in Win 10 x86


That's what I've heard. I tried the VMM.SYS patch on Windows 8 and 8.1 x64, and that worked, but it does not work with 10 x64. The crux of the issue is that the Virtual Memory Manager (the aforementioned VMM.SYS) is incompatible with Windows 10 x64.

I'll have to try this myself. I have a PC at work that runs Windows 7 Professional x86 simply because HP could not be bothered to install the x64 edition. When I upgrade that to 10, I'll test it.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:47 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:45 am

Posts
151

Location
Asia

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
Videogamer555 wrote:
Ever since Windows started supporting natively supporting virtual pc emulation (in the pro version of Windows) all versions of Windows stopped supporting the MS Virtual PC software itself. Yes, even home versions of Windows (that don't natively support virtual pc emulation) now won't let MS Virtual PC run. So if you are needing to run a virtual pc, and you have the home version of Win10, you seem to be just out of luck (and need to switch to something like Virtual Box instead). Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.

My best bet for running a Windows guest OS is trying to figure out a hack that will let me install the Microsoft Virtual PC software on Windows 10. Anybody here know how to do that?

Why wouldn't you use VMware or VirtualBox for guest computers? It's faster than VPC! It's pretty good for running guest computers.
MrBurgerKing wrote:
At that point, would it make more sense to dual boot 10 and 7? If not full 7, maybe an embedded version?
For me, VMware was roughly comparable in terms of performance to hyperv, and faster then virtualpc. You should be fine with it.
You can also consider dual booting Linux and using KVM if you want performance closer to bare metal.
Side note, Virtual box 6 and up can supposedly run on the HyperV platform, which is included on all editions of 10 on 1809 and above. Unfortunately it seems to be slow and buggy at the moment.

_________________
MeWe | YouTube | BetaWiki

Other:
Fake/incorrect Windows Startup & Shutdown Sounds
Everything You Need to Know About Windows Startup and Shutdown Sounds (NO COPYING)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:08 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:39 am

Posts
279

Location
Wisconsin

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
If you want to run VPC2k7 on your PC then install 7 or Vista on your PC, or add a second disk and install 7 onto it if you don’t have UEFI enabled.

_________________
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN- BigBowb1e Productions

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:23 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 am

Posts
353

Location
Tlajomulco de Zuñiga, Jalisco, Mexico.

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
YueLing11 wrote:
Why wouldn't you use VMware or VirtualBox for guest computers? It's faster than VPC! It's pretty good for running guest computers.

There are many reasons to use VPC instead of VirtualBox or VMware. One of them is the performance & integration you get in 9x OSes. I'm aware that these hypervisors are also capable of running them, but VPC performs better.

I'm aware that emulators run 9x even better, with better support for graphics and such, yet emulators are slow compared to hypervisors. And this is specially notable in mid to low end hardware (common home PC hardware).
Please, don't be annoying with your answers.

_________________
Image
Registrations are now open. Join us today!


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:17 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Posts
350

Location
Russia

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
YueLing11 wrote:
Videogamer555 wrote:
Ever since Windows started supporting natively supporting virtual pc emulation (in the pro version of Windows) all versions of Windows stopped supporting the MS Virtual PC software itself. Yes, even home versions of Windows (that don't natively support virtual pc emulation) now won't let MS Virtual PC run. So if you are needing to run a virtual pc, and you have the home version of Win10, you seem to be just out of luck (and need to switch to something like Virtual Box instead). Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.

My best bet for running a Windows guest OS is trying to figure out a hack that will let me install the Microsoft Virtual PC software on Windows 10. Anybody here know how to do that?

Why wouldn't you use VMware or VirtualBox for guest computers? It's faster than VPC! It's pretty good for running guest computers.
MrBurgerKing wrote:
At that point, would it make more sense to dual boot 10 and 7? If not full 7, maybe an embedded version?
For me, VMware was roughly comparable in terms of performance to hyperv, and faster then virtualpc. You should be fine with it.
You can also consider dual booting Linux and using KVM if you want performance closer to bare metal.
Side note, Virtual box 6 and up can supposedly run on the HyperV platform, which is included on all editions of 10 on 1809 and above. Unfortunately it seems to be slow and buggy at the moment.

You should try a comparision; run Windows 98 on VirtualBox and VPC2007. I've done this before, and in my case, Win98 ran better on VPC2007 than VirtualBox.

VBox was on a Win10 v1709 x64 host, and driver support was near limited. But with VPC2007 on a WinVista Ultimate x64 host, guest was usable even without the VM additions.

_________________
quality signature


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:58 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Posts
1997

Location
Czechia
MCpillager12 wrote:
You should try a comparision; run Windows 98 on VirtualBox and VPC2007. I've done this before, and in my case, Win98 ran better on VPC2007 than VirtualBox.

VBox was on a Win10 v1709 x64 host, and driver support was near limited. But with VPC2007 on a WinVista Ultimate x64 host, guest was usable even without the VM additions.

A horse in a stable is slower than a car driving down a motorway. That's not the most objective comparison, is it?

_________________
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Posts
350

Location
Russia

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
If you want to run VPC2k7 on your PC then install 7 or Vista on your PC, or add a second disk and install 7 onto it if you don’t have UEFI enabled.

You can also do that with 8.x (and 10 32-bit) by using a updated VMM.SYS from the Windows Phone 7.1.1 SDK. It just wont work on 10 64-bit.

_________________
quality signature


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:31 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:07 am

Posts
182

Location
Buffalo, New York

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
MCpillager12 wrote:
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
If you want to run VPC2k7 on your PC then install 7 or Vista on your PC, or add a second disk and install 7 onto it if you don’t have UEFI enabled.

You can also do that with 8.x (and 10 32-bit) by using a updated VMM.SYS from the Windows Phone 7.1.1 SDK. It just wont work on 10 64-bit.

Huh. That's a coincidence, the fact that Virtual PC can run on Windows 10 32-bit and not 64-bit... 8-)

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
If you want to run VPC2k7 on your PC then install 7 or Vista on your PC, or add a second disk and install 7 onto it if you don’t have UEFI enabled.

VPC can run on Windows 7 and 8, but I don't think it does on Windows Vista. Or does it?

_________________
[TUT] Install Windows Whistler without setting BIOS date

Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Posts
282

Location
GMT+2 w/dst

Favourite OS
6.0.6001
JonathonWyble wrote:
VPC can run on Windows 7 and 8, but I don't think it does on Windows Vista. Or does it?

Virtual PC 2007 was made with Vista compatibility in mind and it still worked on 7 , despite MS's efforts to pull on the "Windows Virtual PC" thing (which is available via an update). 8 (and 8.1) breaked this compatibility, due to some changes in the OS, and attempting to start a VM would case a BSoD on 64-bit systems.

_________________
<!--Placeholder-->


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?        Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:57 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:07 am

Posts
182

Location
Buffalo, New York

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
ATeamInc wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:
VPC can run on Windows 7 and 8, but I don't think it does on Windows Vista. Or does it?

Virtual PC 2007 was made with Vista compatibility in mind and it still worked on 7 , despite MS's efforts to pull on the "Windows Virtual PC" thing (which is available via an update). 8 (and 8.1) breaked this compatibility, due to some changes in the OS, and attempting to start a VM would case a BSoD on 64-bit systems.

I believe you are correct. I might have heard rumours say that Virtual PC can work on Windows Vista. However, they also said that it wasn't very certain, but it is.

_________________
[TUT] Install Windows Whistler without setting BIOS date

Image


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2019

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS