BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 6h, 3m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5082MB of 11139MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:30 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
or hackintosh your pc
Yeah there is kind of no point in spending >$1000 for a Mac. They aren’t very good tbh and you can just install windows on it.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:26 pm 
FTP Access

Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3 (nostalgia)
FX9590 wrote:
daemonspudguy wrote:
My old computer with a 2.9 gigahertz Intel Celeron from 2013 and 4 gigabytes of ram booted faster with Windows 8.1 Pro than my current machine with a 3.5 gigahertz AMD A8-7600 and 8 gigabytes ram running Windows 10 Enterprise. :x

Because A8-7600 is a Bulldozer chip that has extremely high frequncy but low IPC. I have a Core 2 quad Q9400(2.66GHZ) that runs faster than my AMD A10-9700(3.9GHZ).
Just so you know, Windows 10 on my Celeron booted just as slow as my Bulldozer chip.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

\ !oYo!
\ /./=\.\______
## )\/\
||-----w||
|| ||

Cowth Vader

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
Yeah there is kind of no point in spending >$1000 for a Mac. They aren’t very good tbh and you can just install windows on it.

Apple has better build quailty in their products than most PC manufacturers. You can just pick a 50-150$ used MacBook Pro off of ebay and you can still get all your work done, or just install Windows on one if you are not a macOS fan.
IMHO I'd still buy a Mac despite their high price, trust me they last for many years and still retain a good resale value

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:15 pm 
FTP Access

Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3 (nostalgia)
Why does this thread still exist? Just lock it already.

\ !oYo!
\ /./=\.\______
## )\/\
||-----w||
|| ||

Cowth Vader

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:08 am 
Donator

Take a backward step, then a forward step

Favourite OS
LH 4015, Chicago 73g, XP 2416
My opinion on Windows 10 is that it's alright. I've heard quite a few sides of the story on it. A few of my friends are stuck on 8.1 till it goes out of support. Others maintain that Windows 10 is a poster child of why Linux is better, and won't touch it with a 20 foot pole.

To me, it's fine. Is it as good as 8.1 or 7? No, but I don't think it sucks. If you're complaining that Windows 10 doesn't run well on your old system from 2008 or so, consider this: Windows 7 came out in 2009, right? Therefore, it was optimized for hardware of that era and earlier. 2009 was a time when quad cores were considered pretty high end, and most people had dual cores, with single core processors still being used and sold as well. Many GPUs of the time didn't even have a GB of VRAM on them, and DirectX 11 hadn't hit widespread usage. DDR2 was the norm, with DDR3 being pretty new on the scene. Many people weren't even running 64 bit Windows. And only high end systems would have SSDs in them.

Contrast that with Windows 10 1903. When it came out, DirectX 12 and Vulkan were, and still are the new APIs. Many GPUs had and still have 4 GB or more of VRAM, even budget ones. Integrated graphics are far stronger as well. Dual cores are relegated to the budget segment of the PC market, with quad core processors much more affordable, and both AMD and Intel releasing processors for both consumers and enthusiasts, with 6 and 8 cores, with multithreading. Even more if you go to an HEDT platform. Core i9 or Threadripper anyone? Both AMD and Intel have far higher IPC as well. DDR4 ram, running at speeds far exceeding DDR3, is the norm, and more of it too. Pretty much everyone has an SSD these days, and they're very affordable. That's to say nothing of the used market either, where say, an i5 2400 would be less than 30 USD.

Are you saying Microsoft, and any other OS developer for that matter, is wrong to take advantage of how much PC hardware has advanced over the years? I understand that not everybody can afford the latest and greatest hardware, however, that's not going to prevent your old machine from aging, either. Microsoft cannot realistically be expected to optimize their OS for hardware that is 5 or 10 years old now, let alone even older.

ATeamInc wrote:
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:

Apple has better build quailty in their products than most PC manufacturers. You can just pick a 50-150$ used MacBook Pro off of ebay and you can still get all your work done, or just install Windows on one if you are not a macOS fan.
IMHO I'd still buy a Mac despite their high price, trust me they last for many years and still retain a good resale value

Good resale value, pretty average build quality. If you want good build quality and something that lasts, that's what business laptops like Latitude and Elitebooks are for. And you get more for your money buying them either new or used, and have the option of using AMD processors and Nvidia graphics if you so desire. Same can be said on the desktop front.

Also, whats the point in buying a Mac if you don't want to use their OS anyway?

When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista 5212.winmain.050726-1915
daemonspudguy wrote:
Why does this thread still exist? Just lock it already.

It would be prudent for you to not issue such orders. The topic has facilitated and generated some useful discussion (or at least the refutation of incorrect commentary).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:56 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
daemonspudguy wrote:
Why does this thread still exist?

Because you started it.

daemonspudguy wrote:
Just lock it already.

mrpijey wrote:
As long as there's healthy discussion and no, personal attacks, foul language etc I don't see any reason to lock this down. People have the right to express the personal opinions about Windows 10 and others have the right to challenge it as long as it's done properly, calmly and professionally.

If you have any issue with this topic use the report function, don't post it in the thread.

-------------------------------------

Back on topic with the performance issue, I resolved a few troubles with my workstation and got an accelerated video out with a Titan-X.
Windows 10 flies. I still won't use it for rendering production as DWM uses greater graphics resources. But I will say, remoteFX performance has improved greatly over 2012R2 as well as audio redirection quality. Less stutter and lag.
Local wifi-based RDP sessions are much more usable with the extra multimedia fluff than with 2008R2 or even 2012R2.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:08 am 

Favourite OS
CE4life
Did you know that "new start menu" in the leaked Windows 10 Xbox build is actually based on ReactJS framework? The only difference - this is UWP native framework and it uses UWP controls instead of Google Chromium to display things. Popular programs which are using the same framework - Discord, Skype, Spotify, Etcher, GitHub Desktop.

This information is not confirmed, by I believe to the source because Skype for Windows 10 (UWP) uses the same thing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:32 am 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
ATeamInc wrote:
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:

You sure about that? With the same amount of money for an 8GB RAM iMac/MacBook you can get a very decent gaming laptop.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:00 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
I downgraded Windows 10 v1809 to v1507 10240 LTSB because it needed a more lightweight version of windows 10 and it’s much faster. The reason I installed LTSB over Pro or Home is because it never needs to be updated to a newer os version. I think it got security patches but none of the major updates (1511, 1607, 1703, etc). Also there is way less bloatware.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
I downgraded Windows 10 v1809 to v1507 10240 LTSB because it needed a more lightweight version of windows 10 and it’s much faster. The reason I installed LTSB over Pro or Home is because it never needs to be updated to a newer os version. I think it got security patches but none of the major updates (1511, 1607, 1703, etc). Also there is way less bloatware.

Eh, I don't really mind Windows 10 updates, or updates for any Windows OS. I use Home, and it all works fine. I heard that with LTSB, you don't have to worry about the operating system ending support, at least I think that's for the LTSB edition of Windows 10. But no one has to worry about that at all, because Windows 10 has until 2026 to be alive and kicking :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:46 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
2025*. I like LTSB over Home/Pro because it’s way less “stuffed” with bloatware and it changed boot times from ~40s to ~15s.

mrpijey wrote:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
Offtopic Comment
Boot times work fine for me. Remember, not everyone has the same issues with certain phenomenons as somebody else ;) Sometimes I think I'm just too soft to admit that I don't like something, when I say I like it, but I really do enjoy using Windows 10.

This thread does seem to be drifting with what we were just talking about, so let's try to keep it right on its relevant subject. I just don't want us to get in trouble by the admins :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:17 am 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
YueLing11 wrote:
Maza wrote:
What is the point of the topic? The Windows 10 bashing has been done to death and, unfortunately, this often includes disinformation or misinformation (both of which are already present in this article).

With that said, Windows 8.1 Update > Windows 10. The former is so beautiful to me and is more convenient and efficient in many ways. Sharing, for example—even screenshots, a feature which Windows 10 does not have—is incredibly simple. The Start screen still, after over three years out, has many features the Start menu simply does not have. I also love the mobile design and emphasis on mobility.

So what do you think of Windows 8.1 Update 1? It's now PC-friendly https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... xperience/

Windows 8.0 is also PC-friendly if you use Win7 explorer + open shell, however i like the metro start screen.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:46 am 
FTP Access

Offtopic Comment
We are NOT talking about Windows 8... You really want to bump your post count up to 300, don't you?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:14 am 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
ComputerHunter wrote:
Offtopic Comment
We are NOT talking about Windows 8... You really want to bump your post count up to 300, don't you?

Of course not... Also if you like win10 then dont post in this topic.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:24 pm 
Administrator

And if you don't want to get an another warning then don't backseat moderate!

If the thread can't stay on topic then we'll close it down if you've finished discussing Windows 10.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
See that's the kind of fiasco that riles me up. I'm not backseat moderating or anything, but I just want us to keep this topic clean so that it doesn't have to get locked for getting out of hand ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
And if you don't want to get an another warning then don't backseat moderate!

If the thread can't stay on topic then we'll close it down if you've finished discussing Windows 10.

I would still very much like to use this topic to discuss Windows 10—at least aspects of it that are contrary to the assertions of the topic creator.

For example, the ability to invoke the on-screen keyboard when not in Tablet Mode and when there is no keyboard attached...

...as well as the ability to swipe on the on-screen keyboard to type are features that I genuinely enjoy and miss when using previous versions of Windows. One can even use the mouse to swipe and type (if that is desired).

There are also optional suggestions when typing on the hardware keyboard, which adapt based on frequency of terms and the user dictionary.

Insights in regard to typing.

All nice things.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
JonathonWyble wrote:
See that's the kind of fiasco that riles me up. I'm not backseat moderating or anything, but I just want us to keep this topic clean so that it doesn't have to get locked for getting out of hand ;)

Fiasco? I am sure there is reservation of the right to determine whether a post constitutes backseat moderation. Nevertheless, perhaps mrpijey was not referring to you but daemonspudguy (which I am inclined to believe, as this would be the ... third or fourth time now the user has made such comments).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
Well after seeing the words Tablet Mode , I have one thing to say about: It's so hard to use. Things that normally takes one or two steps at most to open in Windows 8.x now became four or five steps in Windows 10. You can't even access the desktop normally, unlike 8 or even 10 build 9926. The gestures feel awkward for me. Charms was far more usable than Action Center (though I admit that there should have been a place to keep all of the notifications organized). When using a tablet, Windows 10 became like twenty steps backward to me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:

What is the best way to "downgrade" to LTSB to avoid the suck? I thought you need an enterprise licence?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:32 am 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
sunborn wrote:
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:

What is the best way to "downgrade" to LTSB to avoid the suck? I thought you need an enterprise licence?

Well, simply, back up all your data, download an ISO of it from MSDN then install it. Pretty simple.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:47 pm 
Donator

MCpillager12 wrote:
Well, simply, back up all your data, download an ISO of it from MSDN then install it. Pretty simple.

I love how you think downloading stuff from MSDN is easy as A-B-C...

sunborn wrote:

If you want to be on the legal side, then yes, you need an enterprise licence. However, LTSB ISOs are floating freely on the Internet, you just have to look.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Sucks        Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:57 pm 
Administrator

Since this has turned to a support topic instead of what it was originally made for I think it's time to put it to rest.

The End.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7