BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 23h, 34m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5291MB of 11109MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
I would like this as well please!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 R2 9785
ATeamInc wrote:
DragonWars wrote:
MrBurgerKing wrote:
Personally, I think Windows 8 was a visual nightmare.

nothing stops you from customizing it
this is 9200 looking as similar as possible to a dp build
btw this is the actual shell of 7 explorer.exe, not classic shell or another 3rd party tool
i personally think it looks like a better version of 7, with ribbon, new task manager, new copy dialog and other features of 8

That is just amazing! Can you PM me a link or instructions on how to do this?

explorer.exe, uiribbon, uiribbonres, uiribbon mui, 8250 theme, shell32.dll.mui, branding

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:06 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
DragonWars wrote:
ATeamInc wrote:
DragonWars wrote:
MrBurgerKing wrote:
Personally, I think Windows 8 was a visual nightmare.

nothing stops you from customizing it
this is 9200 looking as similar as possible to a dp build
btw this is the actual shell of 7 explorer.exe, not classic shell or another 3rd party tool
i personally think it looks like a better version of 7, with ribbon, new task manager, new copy dialog and other features of 8

That is just amazing! Can you PM me a link or instructions on how to do this?

explorer.exe, uiribbon, uiribbonres, uiribbon mui, 8250 theme, shell32.dll.mui, branding

Can you give or PM me a link for these files? And step-by-step instructions please?

Other:
Fake/incorrect Windows Startup & Shutdown Sounds
Everything You Need to Know About Windows Startup and Shutdown Sounds (NO COPYING)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista 5212.winmain.050726-1915
I wish the OP had listed reasons that Windows 8.x is underrated. The Share platform, for instance, is absolutely amazing—I love it, I love it, I love it—but it received little to no coverage in publications and Microsoft itself did not promote it very well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
For the windows 7 explorer on 8:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/157302-win ... windows-8/
BEWARE: It does not work on 8.1

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:39 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8 8. 10 other versions
Windows 8 is not that hard to use, it's just that people don't like change and the change from the start menu to the start screen drove people mad.

I use Windows 8.1 on some my machines and i like it a lot, the start screen allows me to organize all my programs, folders etc every easily.

Windows 8/8.1 in some cases is faster than Windows 10, why? because Windows 8 and 8.1 have less bloat and processes running and don't update your PC every 5 seconds.

Windows 8/8.1 gives you the classic Windows 7 desktop without all the Cortana crap in the taskbar and doesn't randomly install Candy Crush Sega, Minecraft or Microsoft Office ads to your PC without your permission.

Windows 8/8.1 also don't invade your privacy as much as Windows 10 where all your privacy is taken away.

Windows 8/8.1 are new enough to support UEFI and secure boot but old enough to support programs that can't run in Windows 10 at all, Virtual PC 2007 for example can work with a patch.

Look Windows 7 is good but it's getting dated and Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023. it's still young at it's core only being 6 years old.

So to be honest Windows 8 and 8.1 are not bad at all people just don't like change and that's why it failed

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:39 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
Lifeisgood95 wrote:
Windows 8 is not that hard to use, it's just that people don't like change and the change from the start menu to the start screen drove people mad.

It's actually hard to shut down and users had to google how to shut down their computer. As a result, a cottage industry of third-party Start menu programs is released since the release of Consumer Preview. Windows 10 brought back the Start menu and windowed apps.

Lifeisgood95 wrote:
Windows 8/8.1 in some cases is faster than Windows 10, why? because Windows 8 and 8.1 have less bloat and processes running and don't update your PC every 5 seconds.

In Windows 10 May 2019 Update you can control update.

Lifeisgood95 wrote:
Windows 8/8.1 gives you the classic Windows 7 desktop without all the Cortana crap in the taskbar and doesn't randomly install Candy Crush Sega, Minecraft or Microsoft Office ads to your PC without your permission.

In Windows 10 May 2019 Update, Cortana is split from Search.
Offtopic Comment
Get a SSD, it's 2x faster! (I said this much times but for who want to speed up their computer kek

Lifeisgood95 wrote:
Windows 8/8.1 also don't invade your privacy as much as Windows 10 where all your privacy is taken away.

The fact is every big tech companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, Huawei, etc. invades your privacy. Your privacy is also taken away on social media.

Lifeisgood95 wrote:
So to be honest Windows 8 and 8.1 are not bad at all people just don't like change and that's why it failed

Changes could be find for anyone but dramatically ones couldn't. As I mentioned, instead of regarding legacy, Microsoft did radical changes and eliminated the traditional Start menu that we're familiar for 20 years since Windows 95.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 (as distinctive from Windows 8.1) nearly fixed all the problems of Windows 8. It added much requested features, like Power and Search button on Start screen (so you can easily shut down your computer), Metro apps title bars like traditional desktop apps, taskbar can be shown in Metro and direct boot to desktop by default.

Other:
Everything You Need to Know About Windows Startup and Shutdown Sounds (NO COPYING)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:37 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
IMO I like the Win8.x start menu. I wish there was a port for it to Windows 7 so i can put it on my netbook.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MCpillager12 wrote:
IMO I like the Win8.x start menu. I wish there was a port for it to Windows 7 so i can put it on my netbook.

You mean the Start screen in Windows 8.x? Or you mean the newer Start menu in the Milestone and Technical Preview 1 builds of Windows 10?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 am 
Donator

MCpillager12 wrote:

Why not use Windows 8.1 then?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:54 am 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
gtgamer468 wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:

You mean the Start screen in Windows 8.x? Or you mean the newer Start menu in the Milestone and Technical Preview 1 builds of Windows 10?

Start screen in windows 8.x

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Like AlphaBeta said, try upgrading to Windows 8.1. Netbooks run really well in Windows 8.1. No matter which specs you have, as long as it's better than the minimum requirements, Windows 8.x rings really smoothly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:25 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Nah, don't want to upgrade. Wish somebody makes a port of it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:39 pm 
Donator

Unless you feel like porting the entire Metro infra to Windows 7, then it's not happening. Why don't you want to upgrade?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
I'll see if i can find a iso of win8.0 on msdn.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:16 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
MCpillager12 wrote:
I'll see if i can find a iso of win8.0 on msdn.

Why don't you want Windows 8.1?

Other:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Why do you ask? Just because you hate 8.0 doesnt meam that i cant use it.

Last edited by MCpillager12 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:00 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MCpillager12 wrote:
Because i can.

That is objectively the worst reason to be doing—or not doing—anything.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Is there anyone else preferring app bars over hamburger menus?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
I prefer app bars over hamburger menus. The larger icons helped me identify tasks much faster than the much smaller text and icon.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
yourepicfailure wrote:
I prefer app bars over hamburger menus. The larger icons helped me identify tasks much faster than the much smaller text and icon.

Thank you for responding. They are to me agnostic for input. I absolutely cannot tolerate using hamburgers with my finger.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:00 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
The hamburger menus are too unproductive to me. It's so disorganized and finding entries aren't easy. It's like 20 steps backward to me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
I think I like app bars better than these so called "hamburger menus" as well. I've never used Windows 8/8.1 before, so I don't have to worry about it, although I have used it in a virtual machine, and I did have to deal with those hamburger menus, but it wasn't all bad.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 for sure never had hamburger menus in the first place. Windows 10 got them during its Technical Preview II and early Insider Preview phases when the Metro apps were being changed to be optimized windowed mode.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 is a underrated OS.        Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:34 pm 
Donator

App bars are perfect for housing actions that are related to the currently presented view (like a toolbar), however, using them for navigation seems a bit unnatural to me and that's where I prefer hamburger menus. They can store dynamic and hierarchic layouts better than app bars and are more fit for responsive design.

I also have to disagree with the opinion that hamburger menus are disorganized compared to app bars - a hamburger menu can hold the exact same flat layout as an app bar. This is more like an issue of a specific implementation in my honest opinion.

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next