BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 20h, 14m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 6238MB of 10969MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Manually installing Vista?        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:57 pm 
FTP Access

This is something I'm trying to figure out based on the imaging format that's used now with Vista installations.

How do you install Vista manually with imageX and get it to boot?

It's because I'm stripping down my Vista DVD to the bare bones and, hell-or-high-water, getting it to run on my old K6-2 box. No Aero, no speech support, stripping almost every little useless component, and so on.

It's got the willpower, with around 155 MB of free RAM after the onboard graphics, but it still won't start the preinstall environment to get 'er going.

And besides, it's fun to try to shoehorn Vista onto a machine that wouldn't normally have the power to run it.

I've tried applying the image yet the machine doesn't boot. At all.
What should I try to get it up and running?

All I can think of is imagex.exe /apply and then the boot utility, but it doesn't work for me. Or maybe I did it wrong. Can someone clue me in at manually installing Vista without the installer?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:05 pm 
FTP Access

vLite has the option to remove the RAM check. If that doesn't work then you're going to have to strip down boot.wim to the point that the whole thing can fit into the RAM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:15 pm 
FTP Access

TheWahbinator wrote:
vLite has the option to remove the RAM check. If that doesn't work then you're going to have to strip down boot.wim to the point that the whole thing can fit into the RAM.

I'm going to be using vLite, but the RAM check, to my knowledge, only lowers it to 256 MB.

And how the hell would you strip down boot.wim? I understand mounting the images and such (I've had to grab files before out of one), but what exactly can you remove?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:37 pm 
Donator

Replace the original winsetup.dll with this one in your iso (first extract it :P):
http://rapidshare.com/files/25594075/winsetup.rar

You will be able to install it with 128MB ram (maybe even less).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:02 pm 
FTP Access

Okay, whiskey tango foxtrot, Vista, why won't you boot?

The CD won't boot, quoting error 0xc00000001, or "An unexpected error has occured."

I got the image apply'd to the harddrive but I can't create the BCD stores. Can someone give me some help with that? I'm stuck with a WinPE CD, namely the command prompt from Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs, along with a flash drive with BCDEdit on it. Bootrec, the magical fix-all program it is, won't run, stating it's not a valid Win32 application (most Vista apps won't run on XP and such for some odd reasons).

So now I think my BCD is the problem.

Top  Profile