BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 56d, 14h, 26m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 5969MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Some Longhorn resources found on Windows 7 Setup & System        Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:33 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 4015_Lab06
Hello, i'm making a custom Windows 7 SP1 Installation Disk, so i'm modifying some resources.
I've found some interesting BMPs, where are located some unused Longhorn resources.
All the resources that i found at this time are:
Full-res Screenshot with almost all resources
In Windows 7 Setup disk (and boot.wim): Navbar buttons (the green lh arrow, also in blue version) and a setup window frame.
In Windows 7 System itself: Shutdown dialog resources (Dialog frame, Windows logo and all the buttons)
In the screenshot the buttons of the shutdown dialog are missing, because they didn't keep on the screen :P
It isn't so much but is very strange that Windows, after 2 versions, still has some unused resources.
And, when i saw the shutdown dialog resources, i wonder if there is any way to invoke it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Some Longhorn resources found on Windows 7 Setup & Syste        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074, Whistler 2419
I don’t think there is a way to invoke that shutdown dialog, but anyway that’s interesting. I wonder if Windows 8/8.1/10 still has these resources.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some Longhorn resources found on Windows 7 Setup & Syste        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:13 am 

Favourite OS
Anything but with Aero
I use Windows 8, so I can find them if they still exist.

EDIT:
Yes, Windows 8 also have those. IDK about inside Setup disk, because my PC came preinstalled with Windows 8.
It's from 1100 to 1107, them from 1100 to 12238 are resources that were used in Windows Vista/7 days. The last 3 are unknown (for me) bitmaps that are: key, numeric pad?, and the third one is gallery icon.

Looking deeper into authui.dll, i can see both versions and architecture. The version, which says on top is 5.1.0.0, while in the center of the text says 6.0.0.0.

There also images inside IMAGE "folder", which are the flat ones, probrably used by Windows 8 apps.

The rest are hex code/other code, which is used by system or not.

OK, i went a bit far off-topic, but if you don't like going inside system files, because you're worried that you'll accidentally delete one file and "break" the whole system, this is for you.

I would ask my friends who use 8.1/10 if they also have those resources, but 8.1 would also have.

discord:lh11#1111

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some Longhorn resources found on Windows 7 Setup & Syste        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:58 am 

Favourite OS
9600 or something idk
I can verify that Windows 8.1 has them as well, as I stumbled across them myself a while ago in my own install of 8.1 .

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some Longhorn resources found on Windows 7 Setup & Syste        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:38 pm 

Favourite OS
Vista Beta 1
Even in the latest Windows 10 update's setup, the Vista Beta 1 setup's arrows are still here!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some Longhorn resources found on Windows 7 Setup & Syste        Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:30 am 

Favourite OS
WinNT 3.x, Win95, 3.00.14, Linux
Just checked, the authui resource is still present on Windows 10 v1804.

In fact, there are XP shutdown buttons and multiple copies of that resource. Is the file even still used in modern Windows?
Wondering though, how the hell did it even get into the source? It looks more 4051-4093 than 5048-52xx.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some Longhorn resources found on Windows 7 Setup & Syste        Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:16 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 4015_Lab06
winnt32 wrote:
how the hell did it even get into the source? It looks more 4051-4093 than 5048-52xx.

Maybe the restart during the development of Windows Vista was not so from scratch, I think they reused some resources...
I'll look around WinXP files for any method to launch the shutdown dialog, but the easiest method to do it (calling ShellShutdownDialog) isn't available anymore in WinVista+ because it relies on msgina.dll, which has replaced with credui.dll, and hasn't any dialog embedded.
I'm looking into all Win7 DLL's with DLL Export Viewer and, if i find something, i'll post it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Some Longhorn resources found on Windows 7 Setup & Syste        Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:47 pm 

Favourite OS
CE4life
C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\Shell\NormalColor\en-US\shellstyle.dll.mui contains these resources:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some Longhorn resources found on Windows 7 Setup & Syste        Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
5112; 5212; Windows 8; 9363
This is no surprise and it is not a big deal.

Windows Vista: Network Computer Sharing (Castle) | Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Top  Profile