BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 8h, 4m | CPU: 85% | MEM: 5533MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:05 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Vista and 8.1
Hi and thanks for reading this message. I'm not using this website for a long time that you peoples maybe know.

Anyways, i did tried to run Windows Longhorn Build 3718 32-Bit on VMWare Workstation 12 with a Virtual Machine today. The virtual machine specs are:

*512 mb of ram
*8 GB IDE Hard Disk (I'm totally sure it's an IDE hard disk. So please don't say that "Make sure that your hard disk is IDE before installing")
*AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1 GHz Processor (on my real computer)

You can see that these specs are pretty decent for Longhorn Build 3718. However, after the "starting setup" screen, i'm getting a BSOD with the error code "SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" like this:

I did tried everything. Checked that does the hard disk is IDE, removed Network and Sound cards (on vm), changed the guest os to "Windows 2000 Professional", tried upgrading from Windows XP SP3. But still, nothing works. I know that this topic is already opened for 2-3 times back then and i tried everything that is recommended at other topics. However, still i keep getting this BSOD.

I did also tried to change the hardware compatibility to 5.x and 6.5.x, 7.x but still, didn't worked.

Anyone can help me, please? :( I will be really happy if i can install this build.

Thank you for reading and helping... :beta:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
Don't use VMware Workstation 12 Pro, downgrade to VMware Workstation 11 (and no, I don't mean setting the compatibility to 11, just uninstall version 12).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista
Please use Virtual PC 2007 if you are not running Windows 10 as the host.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Vista and 8.1
TheCollector1988 wrote:
Don't use VMware Workstation 12 Pro, downgrade to VMware Workstation 11 (and no, I don't mean setting the compatibility to 11, just uninstall version 12).

Will try this. Thanks.

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:
Please use Virtual PC 2007 if you are not running Windows 10 as the host.

I cannot use VPC2007. I'm using Windows 8.1 x64.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista
viewtopic.php?p=325660
You can actually get VPC 2007 to work with Windows 8.

The thread I have linked has more info about the vmm.sys error.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Vista and 8.1
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325660
You can actually get VPC 2007 to work with Windows 8.

The thread I have linked has more info about the vmm.sys error.

I forgot to say. Thanks for help but i want to run this build on VMWare cause i want to get the Desktop Compositing which is only way to get it is running it on VMWare. I think i'll try to downgrade to VMWare 11, still thanks for the help...

EDIT: I think i gave up :cry: I cannot downgrade my VMWare 12 to 11 because i don't have VMWare 11. I wish i could install this build on VMWare 12 without any problem and get Desktop Compositing...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista
Try using VMware 5.x compability mode for that build.

Recent versions of VMWare don't really like pre-reset LH and prior, that's why you must use 5.x mode for.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
3.11 WfW|98SE|5.1.2464|6.0.4001

Microsoft Windows Fan wrote:
I did also tried to change the hardware compatibility to 5.x

Here's VMware 11: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/detail ... T-1114-WIN

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:41 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Vista and 8.1

I said that i did already tried changing the hardware compatibility to 5.x

oscareczek wrote:
Here's VMware 11: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/detail ... T-1114-WIN

It is the trial version. I just don't want to delete my VMWare Pro and use the trial only for a Longhorn build. I cannot downgrade or delete my VMWare version.

Peoples, isn't there is any way to run this build on VMWare Pro 12 and get Desktop Compositing? :cry:

I think i did already gave up and installing this build on VMWare 12 is impossible. Still, thanks for help. I wish i could run this build and get Desktop Compositing but it seems look like it's impossible unless i get an older version of VMWare which i can't or get an old pc from 2002 eras which it's impossible too :c

Still, thanks for help. If anyone has a fix for this problem, please help me. I cannot downgrade my VMWare. I think i must install this build on VPC2007 without these beautiful Desktop Compositing :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Every VMware Pro installer is a trial version .-.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler 2428 and Longhorn 3713
Still, thanks for help. If anyone has a fix for this problem, please help me. I cannot downgrade my VMWare. I think i must install this build on VPC2007 without these beautiful Desktop Compositing :cry:

You can still try to install it on PCem, 86Box, or QEMU, although you won't get the best experience out of it, and DCE probably doesn't work since QEMU only supports VGA (unless you use SPICE which is hard to setup) and PCem and 86Box only supports S3 VIRGE, which in Longhorn era is way too old (but still installs and works). PCem and 86Box also runs them slowly (but stable) since they only support up to Pentium 1/2 processors but emulate actual hardware.

BetaWiki contributor.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4050Build.Aero
BF10 wrote:

You can still try to install it on PCem, 86Box, or QEMU, although you won't get the best experience out of it, and DCE probably doesn't work since QEMU only supports VGA (unless you use SPICE which is hard to setup) and PCem and 86Box only supports S3 VIRGE, which in Longhorn era is way too old (but still installs and works). PCem and 86Box also runs them slowly (but stable) since they only support up to Pentium 1/2 processors but emulate actual hardware.

You'd need high end hardware (core i5 at 4Ghz) to actually get the full speed in 86box or PCem.
And as a note, do not use Virtual PC on Windows 8 as there is many problems associated with that (such as your network adapter getting misconfigured).
If you really want to use VPC, dualboot Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:14 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Vista and 8.1
ATeamInc wrote:
BF10 wrote:

You'd need high end hardware (core i5 at 4Ghz) to actually get the full speed in 86box or PCem.
And as a note, do not use Virtual PC on Windows 8 as there is many problems associated with that (such as your network adapter getting misconfigured).
If you really want to use VPC, dualboot Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

My host pc is really slow and bad. It's from 2008 and it's cpu is a 2.1GHz AMD Athlon X2. So i cannot run Longhorn on 86Box or PCem. I think i'll run it on VPC2007. Also, i cannot dualboot both Windows 7 and 8.1 cause my hard disk storage is low. Still, thanks for help.

Last edited by Microsoft Windows Fan on Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
BF10 wrote:
QEMU only supports VGA (unless you use SPICE which is hard to setup)

QEMU can emulate VMware GPU.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
But will not provide acceleration.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:01 pm 
FTP Access

Try to use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, VirtualBox or VMWare Player 6 these emulators I have on my PC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Release Preview
I have VMware Workstation Pro 14, and I also seem to have the same problem as you when I'm trying to install some Longhorn builds.

If you want to run Virtual PC 2007, I'd recommend Windows 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows Longhorn Build 3718 Setup BSOD?        Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
What's your HDD size? I would consider upgrading it if it's low on storage, or backup data that you don't need on the host OS. That way, you retain all of your important data while still dual booting Windows 8.1 with Windows 7.

Top  Profile