BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 16h, 1m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5214MB of 11135MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Windows 10        Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:41 am 
FTP Access

WinFS was initially intended for Longhorn. Post-reset builds no longer contained it, but Microsoft released WinFS Beta 1 (and later Beta 1 Refresh) for Windows XP users in 2005. WinFS was scrapped a few months later.

I wondered whether the Beta 1 Refresh could run in Windows 10. It could not, but at least it can install.

1. By modifying the installer to remove the "Windows XP SP2 or higher"-only restriction, I was able to install WinFS Beta 1 Refresh on Windows 10.

2. WinFS Stores appears on This PC. Clicking it does nothing.

3. A review of the Services console shows that the WinFS-related services are stopped. These services are all dependent on the WinFS RsFx service.

4. Starting the WinFS RsFx service leads to this error.

I plan to get a Windows XP VM someday and try out the WinFS Beta 1 Refresh from there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Window        Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:43 pm 

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Could you post a link to the installer? I'd love to try it on some VMs...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Window        Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:09 am 
FTP Access

SAIYAN48 wrote:
Could you post a link to the installer? I'd love to try it on some VMs...

I do not have the installer anymore. But here are the instructions to modify it.

1. Download the WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installer at the FTP or the Longhorn site linked here. You may find it in the Components page. You may need to use Google Translate.

2. Run the installer to extract the files to C:\winfsbeta1\

3. Open the msi file in C:\winfsbeta1\ in the Orca program (It is available online, third item in Google search. It has been retired, but I am not sure I can link it directly here).

4. Remove the restriction by following the steps indicated here.

Looking forward to your results, SAIYAN48.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Window        Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:11 pm 

Favourite OS
Longhorn
So I got it installed and when I try to start the RsFx service, I get a 1273 Error: Driver has been blocked from loading.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Window        Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista 5212.winmain.050726-1915
Emir214 wrote:
I plan to get a Windows XP VM someday and try out the WinFS Beta 1 Refresh from there.

Is there anything in particular you would like to try? I have a Windows XP virtual machine that I could use for "WinFS" Beta 1 exploration purposes if you are interested.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Window        Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:25 am 
FTP Access

Maza wrote:
Is there anything in particular you would like to try?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

Maza wrote:
I have a Windows XP virtual machine that I could use for "WinFS" Beta 1 exploration purposes if you are interested.

I'm interested. Thank you for the offer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Window        Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Interesting to see you were attempting to WinFS on 10, but I did expect it to not function on it.

Emir214 wrote:

Officially, there is XP VMs Microsoft distributed during modern.IE that can be used for testing. They are trials, but they'll suffice in a pinch. You could try this if you wanna test the WinFS beta. Microsoft unfortunately stopped distributing modern.IE VMs earlier than Windows 7 under normal methods probably since the time XP support ended (In fact, the links to download the older VMs from their CDN just stopped working), but I believe they're surfacing around somewhere and there's also the Wayback Machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Window        Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:16 pm 
FTP Access

JackArchive wrote:
Interesting to see you were attempting to WinFS on 10, but I did expect it to not function on it.

Emir214 wrote:

Officially, there is XP VMs Microsoft distributed during modern.IE that can be used for testing. They are trials, but they'll suffice in a pinch. You could try this if you wanna test the WinFS beta. Microsoft unfortunately stopped distributing modern.IE VMs earlier than Windows 7 under normal methods probably since the time XP support ended (In fact, the links to download the older VMs from their CDN just stopped working), but I believe they're surfacing around somewhere and there's also the Wayback Machine.

I am not familiar with this, thanks for the info. I obtained Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 recently from the Microsoft website and plan to use it with VMWare. Just looking for the time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Window        Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 pm 

Hello, new user here. I actually specifically registered to reply to this thread.

Windows 10 has a feature called "Driver Compatibility Mode" in the group policy editor. Basically, if you tell the installer for a third-party driver to run in compatibility mode, then Windows will attempt to resolve any incompatibilities in the driver that may have been introduced between Windows operating systems by transparently performing workarounds. I'm not sure how effective it actually is with most drivers, but I swear that it has saved my skin with some particularly temperamental drivers in the past. Maybe it'd work with WinFS?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Window        Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:27 pm 
FTP Access

Amaroq-Starwind wrote:
Hello, new user here. I actually specifically registered to reply to this thread.

Windows 10 has a feature called "Driver Compatibility Mode" in the group policy editor. Basically, if you tell the installer for a third-party driver to run in compatibility mode, then Windows will attempt to resolve any incompatibilities in the driver that may have been introduced between Windows operating systems by transparently performing workarounds. I'm not sure how effective it actually is with most drivers, but I swear that it has saved my skin with some particularly temperamental drivers in the past. Maybe it'd work with WinFS?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have long deleted the WinFS files from my PC. Perhaps you'd like to give it a try. Please let me know how you fare.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WinFS Beta 1 Refresh installed but not working on Window        Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:43 pm 

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
It shows those errors as the .msi package doesn't install properly and there is no RsFxSvc.exe in system32 folder. Also it doesn't write any registry keys... Is there any way to somehow force the installer do that? Or create a new installer from scratch?

Top  Profile