BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 5h, 16m | CPU: 57% | MEM: 6086MB of 11114MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Longhorn Reloaded(s) - Can Someone Explain        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:09 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:56 pm

Posts
228

Location
North England.
I had 4074 back in the day when it wa sreleased, and recently I found it and decided to do some more LH research. I found about a few reloaded versions:

Longhorn Reloaded
Longhorn R2
Longhorn R3
and Longhorn 08

Can someone explain the differneces - i understand they are all unofficial devs btw.

Thx


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn Reloaded(s) - Can Someone Explain        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:37 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Posts
6612

Location
United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
KCLiVES wrote:
I had 4074 back in the day when it wa sreleased, and recently I found it and decided to do some more LH research. I found about a few reloaded versions:

Longhorn Reloaded
Longhorn R2
Longhorn R3
and Longhorn 08

Can someone explain the differneces - i understand they are all unofficial devs btw.

Thx


They essentially are all a few fixes with new themes. Longhorn R2 was the earliest, and LHR was done in part by the person who created R2. LHR however, was a poor attempt that failed and Microsoft shut it down. Longhorn R3, Where did you get that from? R3 ended up as Longhorn 08, but as far as I know (and I was in the team :lol:) there never was an R3 branded build released, even internally. And finally, Longhorn 08 is the most recent, and unlike LHR and R2 before it, was only available as a patch, which meant you had to install a normal copy of Longhorn 4074 first. This was to get round Microsoft, who decided that after LHR, they would shut down any site that distributed pre-modified copies of 4074 (however they, for some unknown reason, relented and let Joejoe, where the LHR project was based, to distribute unmodified copies of Longhorn again). Both LHR and LH08 included Media Center, from XP MCE 2004, and LH08 also updated WMP to version 10. LH08 was the only version to offer a variety of themes. All projects are now dead.

_________________
BuildFeed - the ultimate collaborative NT build list - Windows Longhorn - a look at a defining Microsoft project


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn Reloaded(s) - Can Someone Explain        Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:53 am 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:56 pm

Posts
228

Location
North England.
hounsell wrote:
KCLiVES wrote:
I had 4074 back in the day when it wa sreleased, and recently I found it and decided to do some more LH research. I found about a few reloaded versions:

Longhorn Reloaded
Longhorn R2
Longhorn R3
and Longhorn 08

Can someone explain the differneces - i understand they are all unofficial devs btw.

Thx


They essentially are all a few fixes with new themes. Longhorn R2 was the earliest, and LHR was done in part by the person who created R2. LHR however, was a poor attempt that failed and Microsoft shut it down. Longhorn R3, Where did you get that from? R3 ended up as Longhorn 08, but as far as I know (and I was in the team :lol:) there never was an R3 branded build released, even internally. And finally, Longhorn 08 is the most recent, and unlike LHR and R2 before it, was only available as a patch, which meant you had to install a normal copy of Longhorn 4074 first. This was to get round Microsoft, who decided that after LHR, they would shut down any site that distributed pre-modified copies of 4074 (however they, for some unknown reason, relented and let Joejoe, where the LHR project was based, to distribute unmodified copies of Longhorn again). Both LHR and LH08 included Media Center, from XP MCE 2004, and LH08 also updated WMP to version 10. LH08 was the only version to offer a variety of themes. All projects are now dead.


So it wasnt called R3 ?

Is LH08 available anywhere? (yn)


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:02 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Posts
6612

Location
United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Here is the last released beta
Download

_________________
BuildFeed - the ultimate collaborative NT build list - Windows Longhorn - a look at a defining Microsoft project


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:23 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:56 pm

Posts
228

Location
North England.
Thanks :D

Now I need to crank out 4074 again


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:52 pm 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:51 am

Posts
150

Location
Bucharest, CA

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP1
So currently there are no more LH 4074 "Reloaded" projects?


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:44 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:56 pm

Posts
228

Location
North England.
It appears not, no.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:07 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Posts
6612

Location
United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
No project is currently working on 4074.

However, There is protoPlex for 3718 (Which I am working on).
and Longhorn "Refined", a modification for 4093 (Dunno why, but i discuss it with the leaders on how best to do it)

_________________
BuildFeed - the ultimate collaborative NT build list - Windows Longhorn - a look at a defining Microsoft project


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:40 pm 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:32 am

Posts
71
hounsell wrote:
Here is the last released beta
Download


How do I use that package? Do I run it on a 4074 system?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:41 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:56 pm

Posts
228

Location
North England.
Yes, run it on 4074. Although I havent had time to test it yet.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:08 pm 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:41 am

Posts
114

Location
NY

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
Basically they're all custom versions of longhorn with the same patches and maybe a skin or something else added.

I and Ark Mage made R2 almost a year ago, Ark Mage became interested after I showed him "Longhorn 4074 Shrimp Edition" which was the first complete hack of Longhorn I had ever done, in fact the ISO Image was a little over 900MB therefore when we started working on R2 one of our goals was to strip it down a ton. If I install Longhorn I still use Shrimp Edition though, it's my favorite copy. xD

I don't think we integrated WMP11 or IE7 into R2 either.. I know for a fact WMP11 was integrated in Shrimp Edition, just not IE7, I never bothered making another ISO after I got that working.

I'm not to sure about these newer ones, (R3 and Longhorn 08 ), but R2 was a fun project.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:51 pm 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Posts
52
Shrimp, by any chance are you interested in a similar LH project?

I know it's been a while but just curious.

Longhorn '08 is not dead.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:37 pm 
Quote:
(however they, for some unknown reason, relented and let Joejoe, where the LHR project was based, to distribute unmodified copies of Longhorn again).


Oh? Do you know where they have the file? I'd be interested in getting it, I've been a member there for a long time but I haven't be active in a while until recently again and a lot's changed!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:52 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Posts
6612

Location
United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
innovati wrote:
Oh? Do you know where they have the file? I'd be interested in getting it, I've been a member there for a long time but I haven't be active in a while until recently again and a lot's changed!

I think they stopped their torrent system, but a member has an FTP available on there. However, its a one run off a home connection, so its not particularly fast ;)

_________________
BuildFeed - the ultimate collaborative NT build list - Windows Longhorn - a look at a defining Microsoft project


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:58 am 
ouch, yeah an ftp at twentyfour.twentytwo.ninetythree.oneninetysix that maxes out at about......10k/s

It's gonna take a few minutes to download those files lol. Maybe I can find them elsewhere before too long. I'm interested in Longhorn's development and would love to learn more about it. I guess I'm somewhat of an alphaphile that way.

It's true though isn't it, I'd rather root around in a promising, unstable and buggy alpha than use release version any day. I think that's what draws me to linux so much, you can use unstable/risky software if you want to :)


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:51 am 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:13 am

Posts
994

Location
With Waldo

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
I have all the Longhorn Reloaded Release (M1 and M1 Technical Refresh)
You can PM me if you want them but follow the rules and only request them if you have 10 or more posts.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:03 am 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts
1524

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Try not to bump topics older than 30 days please. It's in the rules, which you should've read.

_________________
Image
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS