Longhorn 4066 ListviewSpy

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Melcher
Donator

Longhorn 4066 ListviewSpy

Post by Melcher »

About half a year ago I first posted about my findings on the 'Listview Spy' view mode found in build 4066 (http://longhorn.ms/exposing-a-spy). It's only now that I finally figured out that it is indeed possible to get the listiew spy dialog to show up - maybe someone else already figured it out, but haven't seen anyone else posting about this. To get the dialog to pop up, check either MIL View or 3D View and after that click the Listview Spy option.

This will show a dialog like below:

Unfortunately, I found myself unable to get direct 3D working on this particular 4066 machine which is needed to get the 3D and MIL view modes working. I was wondering if anyone was willing to try this trick with working MIL and see if the X, Y and Z sliders do indeed affect the viewport for the different view modes (i.e. panorama, carousel etc.).

-- Technical bit --
For the ones interested:
The context menu shown above is constructed by browseui.dll and performs the appropriate checks to find if the Carousel, Panorama and LVSpy keys are present and set in the registry - as well as the 3D and MIL View items. Once the Listview Spy options is clicked a new Win32 Window message is registered 'LVSpy' and a message of this type is send to comctl32.dll which receives it and creates the actual dialog.
Last edited by Melcher on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: Longhorn 4066 ListviewSpy

Post by yourepicfailure »

I've got a machine that can withstand 4066's direct3d things.
I'll get 4066 on it this afternoon and see about this.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

Much obliged, yourepicfailure. I'm very interested in the result of this. I really hope it does indeed change how the phodeo etc. looks.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Sadly, LVSpy has no effect.

Initial values:

And changing around, even reloading phodeo has no effect whatsoever.

I am unable to exit out of LVSpy, but every time I load a new instance(click the LVSpy view option) the values remain the same as original.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

Thanks you for trying yourepicfailure! It's a shame it doesn't do anything.
There is something 'new' in these screenshots of yours, though. See, when I enabled LVSpy it didn't show any numbers next to the sliders. Also, since your LVSpy has initial values other than 0,0,0 which is striking.

Seems like it did make some sort of connection with Direct3D, but doesn't actually change the (correct) values?!

Bob Pony
FTP Access

Post by Bob Pony »

That is so cool! But I wished that function could've worked though, but still it's amazing of what Microsoft was adding unique features to longhorn.

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

I tend to think this was more of a developer tool, a left-over from the 4050.lab06_demo series of builds where most of the cool UI features were implemented. It might have been used (or was still used) to figure out what the best viewing angles were for the different viewing modes. Somehow it made its way into main, more broken than working. I don't have any proof to substantiate this theory though.

While looking through decompiled code that spawns this dialog I just found the following string.

Code: Select all

%userprofile%\my documents\LVSettings\LVSettings.ini
Kinda interesting. I'll be looking at what is expected to be in this file next.

ADDITION:
The lay-out of the file should be like below. Seems like only a single value is ever checked.

Code: Select all

[Panorama.Pane.Header]
XFile=<path to DirectX mesh>
The default mesh file loaded is in the comctl32.dll. Located in the resources at XFILE > 4272.

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

So, I got my drivers to work again - I forgot to set HW acceleration to full in the adapter properties :? . I noticed that the camera position sliders change depending upon the window size. That is, if you open a new LVSpy instance after resizing the window, the sliders of this new instance will be different (the slider positions of any existing instances won't change). I think this is what LVSpy is for: spying the current viewbox X, Y and Z values. Contrary to what I first believed, LVSpy is not for altering these values on the fly. Here's another screenshot.