BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 20h, 41m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 5524MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Dual booting between Vista and Longhorn 4074        Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
This morning, I created a partition on my hard drive so that I could install Longhorn Build 4074 on it. The partition was created successfully and the install went well. But however, I have difficulty actually booting into my Longhorn 4074 partition.

First, there wasn't even a boot menu to select a partition to boot from. I decided then to modify my bootloader.

I then used EasyBCD and modified my Vista bootloader to include "Windows Longhorn Build 4074" on it, and that it would boot from "Drive B", which was the partition I had set up for it. I also modified the Longhorn bootloader's name from "winlogon.exe" to "winload.exe" in the Windows Explorer, since I wasn't able to correct the filename on EasyBCD.

Then, I restarted my computer and tried booting from the partition I had set up Longhorn on. The Vista bootloader then tells me that it would not load because "it could not verify the digital signature of the bootloader".

I went back to the main bootloader screen to see if there were any options to check off via F8. However, the same message appeared again when I tried this and I was unable to even access the advanced boot options.

Now, how do I turn off this "digital signature verifier" thing? I think this is the last obstacle I am facing. I have managed to run Longhorn successfully via a virtual machine, but now I wish to try dual booting with Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: B is reserved...        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:39 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
The Disc Letters A and B are reserved for Floppy Drives.

Start with C.

I have a dualboot with Vista SP1 ( latest ) on Partiton 0 ("C") and LH 4074 "reloaded" on 1 ("D"), and no Problems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:46 am 
FTP Access

Did you assign Longhorn as Drive "B" in Vista? When I installed XP after Vista, XP automatically assigned itself as "D." I'm thinking that Longhorn may have followed the same pattern as XP and assign it the next available drive letter after "C." So maybe, in Vista, assign it as "D" and I think you'll need to select the Longhorn bootloader from the menu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:42 pm 
As a quick thought. Is ntldr still in the root of the longhorn partition?
I have a similar setup..
the chainload sequence...

Vista's boot manager loads first and I select an entry I added for my nt 5.1 variant (Xp type os). I used vista boot pro to add the extra entry.

then..
the old nt boot manager loads the list of pre-vista platforms, you may set it to not display at all for a single 2nd os, once configured.

but..
I had to reinstall ntldr after vista was installed, I found this odd.

maybe it helps maybe not. :)