BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 18h, 18m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 6185MB of 10910MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Vista Starter Edition Build 5744 and 5840        Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:32 pm 
Donator

Hello,

I have just finished installing and doing some tests with Windows Vista Starter (Edition), based on the RC2 Build 5744. I'll upload some screenshots in the forum's gallery too, soon. edit: Screenshots uploaded, check them out if you want. Some things I found out:

Installation

You can use any Vista DVD as long as it's at least Build 5600. Don't enter a key and select "STARTER" as the edition to install. You'll then see a modified license agreement referring to Microsoft Windows Vista Starter Release Candidate 1. From there, the install process goes as normal, but a bit faster than with the other versions.

First boot

You'll see the introduction asking you to enter a name, password and computer name as usual. Two things to notice: (1) Vista Starter comes with an entire set of different wallpapers that are, as fas as I know, not to be found in the other editions. The wallpapers seem to be customized for the regions Vista Starter is gonna be sold in. (2) The login and logoff screens have no background, it's just a solid,... hmm... kinda green, like the 9y/NT default background-.

Running

After logging on, you'll get to the desktop. The Windows Vista Basic theme is selected by default, thus, the Themes service is enabled. You can disable that and switch to Windows Classic, Aero is not available, however (at least it didn't show up in the Display Properties window, but I was running it in a VM whose graphics card doesn't support it anyway. Maybe that's the reason, but I doubt Aero is there in Vista Starter).

There is a Windows Vista Starter watermark in the lower right corner of the screen, present in every window, not just on the desktop. The system identifies itself as Windows Vista RC2.

You can have a maximum of three programs open at the same time as it was the case with XP Starter, for example, you can have WordPad, Solitaire and Paint open, trying to open another program will result in an error message (see the screenshots). However, there are some exceptions that do not count as a program. These are:

* multiple instances of the same program
* folder windows
* dialog boxes
* Windows Sidebar
* Windows Help and Support
* the Control Panel and its items

That means, you can have 10 instances of WordPad, 5 instances of Paint and 20 instances of Internet Explorer open at the same time, that's okay. And if you open the Control Panel or the Windows Sidebar while having three programs open, the system won't complain as well.

The system has 30 processes running after booting is complete and consumes ~270MB of RAM. These numbers are taken from the Task Manager. I think this is less than the other Vista editions take, isn't it? And it only uses about 6 gigabytes of disk space, compared to the 9 gigabytes the other editions take.

The taskbar can be customized via a right-click, the Task Manager is available there as well.

The majority of programs are present, like Help and Support, the Welcome Center, the User Access Control, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Gallery, the Windows Calender, Sidebar, and so on. Remote Assistance is there as well.
Windows Anytime Upgrade is not available.

The system will need at least 512MB of RAM to be installed, as the WinPE image won't fit into the RAM otherwise, and it runs very well with "only" 512MB of RAM. I think Starter is the only edition I'd even try with only 256MB of RAM as I think the RAM usage will decrease with the final builds.

I've not tested to install any applications on it as of yet, but I doubt there'll be any problems. :)

Have fun
empireum

Last edited by empireum on Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:33 pm 
Donator

Thanks for the guide! It's really nice. I'm gonna try to install it in vmware right now ;)!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:35 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I give up trying to install anything in VPC/VMWare, my celeron just wont handle it! lol. :oops:

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:41 pm 
Donator

@Jeff
You're welcome. Have a lot of fun and share your experience, please. Next thing I'm gonna try as soon as I have the time is to install various applications, some typical, some untypical to see if there are any limitations compared to the other Vista editions. A really cool thing would be installing Virtual PC 2007 on Vista Starter and running Vista Ultimate in a VM... I think I will try that.
I have an older PC with an 1.4GHz AMD CPU, 1GB of RAM and a rather slow 40GB 2.5" hard drive (it does around 30-35MB/s). It's not working ATM, but I'll try to get it running again to test Vista Starter on it, to see if it really is faster than the other editions.
As soon as I get my hands on Vista build 5840, I'll check if it's possible to install Starter from the DVD there as well. :D

@Andy
Don't be too pessimistic! I had VMware running on a dual Celeron 350MHz machine with 256MB RAM :) It was slow (Linux was the host), but it worked :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:17 am 
Donator

Since i have 5840 downloaded, im gonna try that!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:10 am 
Donator

I'm gonna try that as well when 5840 has finished downloading.
I'd also love to get my hands on XP Starter Edition. Since there is an official English version, it'd be worth to try... But I've no idea how to get a copy...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:50 am 
Donator

Me too. Im gonna start searching the net just about.. now!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:26 pm 
Donator

You mean you're looking for XP Starter? If/when you find it... please share it! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:20 pm 
Donator

A small update to Vista Starter: This works with the build 5840, too and I have just "upgraded". There are very small differences, though. There's no build tag anymore (but the watermark is still there), the EULA says Microsoft Windows Vista Starter without the RC bit, but apart from that, not much has changed.
There are 34 processes running at start-up and it uses approx. 310MB of RAM.
All limitations from earlier builds still apply.

A nice one: The wallpaper selection scren which didn't work correctly in Starter #5744 in now works out of the box. The Starter wallpapers are very, very nice. :)

edit: Vista 5840 (or is it only the Starter edition?) contains a new game called "Purble Place". It looks like it's meant for smaller kids that have just started school... Can anybody with 5840 verify if this is also present in the other editions?

Last edited by empireum on Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Please could Windows XP Starter be found, it would be a good OS to look @.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:24 pm 
Donator

I'm trying to find it, but im not having much luck!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:25 pm 
Donator

Same here... :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Well i know it not english but it gonna be good to look @

Edit Purple Place is in Build 5744 (RC2) also.

Last edited by swellhead on Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:34 pm 
Donator

There is an English version of XP Starter released in India...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
that has gotta be found :roll:

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:25 pm 
Donator

Yes...

Top  Profile