BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 20h, 58m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 8041MB of 24567MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Longhorn for everyday use (back then)        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Recently I have been browsing around a lot, on the hunt of interesting Longhorn goodies on the web (docs, videos, images.. you name it).
Today I found a video on Channel 9 in which a developer, Joe Marina, tells us why he loves Avalon's markup language XAML so much.
What makes this video worth the watch is that this developer is using (dogfooding) a Longhorn build. Since the video was shot at the 27th of July, I dare to say this build is in the 408X range. Poor dev, running this completely brokenhorn version of longhorn *hehe* . Even back then, this version couldn't have been much and was (and is) certainly not suited for everyday usage ^^

Link to video:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/TheChann ... -love-XAML

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn for everyday use (back then)        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Melcher wrote:
Recently I have been browsing around a lot, on the hunt of interesting Longhorn goodies on the web (docs, videos, images.. you name it).
Today I found a video on Channel 9 in which a developer, Joe Marina, tells us why he loves Avalon's markup language XAML so much.
What makes this video worth the watch is that this developer is using (dogfooding) a Longhorn build. Since the video was shot at the 27th of July, I dare to say this build is in the 408X range. Poor dev, running this completely brokenhorn version of longhorn *hehe* . Even back then, this version couldn't have been much and was (and is) certainly not suited for everyday usage ^^

Link to video:

Well, he could be running 4074 with the newer 408x wallpaper, but that's very unlikely. It should be around build 4085-4089 as 4088_lab02 was compiled in this month. Also, for all of 4093's faults, it had it's plus points. 408x had all of the faults and none of the pluses.

Offtopic Comment
Also, I'm exactly 100 posts behind you. *hehe* 2^8/546 posts. |-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn for everyday use (back then)        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:50 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
Melcher wrote:

Link to video:

I am guessing that it is 4084-4089 if the version is in the 408x range and it is brokenhorn.

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn for everyday use (back then)        Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
"Longhorn" / Vista
I miss those large titlebars. But I must say that they seem to have been somewhat redundant because of the breadcrumbs in the address bar.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn for everyday use (back then)        Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
Very cool, thanks for the video. I'd say it's in the 408x range (as other people said) but it can't be 4083 as 4083 has no wallpaper. So 4084-4089 then. But as always, it could just be poor video quality and/or windows overlapping useful content that cause me to misjudge...

On Aug. 21, 2017, there will be a total solar eclipse that will pass through the continental USA. Millions will drive to the totality band, carrying cameras, folding chairs, sweets, crisps, and popcorn.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn for everyday use (back then)        Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
I miss the XP title bars. Wish Microsoft would have kept them!!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn for everyday use (back then)        Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:08 pm 

Poor developer.
Nothing works in those 408x builds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn for everyday use (back then)        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:59 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn & Windows 8
gosh i miss longhorn,, every now and then i like to install the builds on vm and play around with them.. as other people have said it looks like hes running 4088,, the sidebar in 4084 is too small

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn for everyday use (back then)        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn
winxuser wrote:
gosh i miss longhorn,, every now and then i like to install the builds on vm and play around with them.. as other people have said it looks like hes running 4088,, the sidebar in 4084 is too small

The sidebar is resizeable so I'm not sure if that's a good reason to rule out 4084? Also note, that while this build is probably indeed in the 408X range, it's very hard to pinpoint which exact build it is. The developer we see in the video is from another lab than the build we have from that period. The various labs could drift pretty far from each other build number wise.

Top  Profile  WWW