BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 15h, 12m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 1980MB of 3063MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Windows 7        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:26 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12408

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Quote:
Yes its coming, the new operating system, and is likely to be a normal operating system like windows 98SE/ ME rather than Vista, which is a load of bull. Far too complicated, too many features, and eats memory for breakfast/lunch and dinner. The new operating system should work at its best on between 256/512 memory but rumour has it, it can operate well on a lot less memory. It will accept DVD writers and everyday software and of course the internet. Why has microsoft done this? This is easy to understand, they want there operating system to work on PDAs and tablets, so the hard drives will be smaller in size and volume. Vista takes approx 2gb of space and needs 2gb of memory and a hard drive bigger than 80gb while Windows 7 needs a tenth of that to work up to speed...


Sources:

Cable Forum
Windows 7


Not really sure about the quote above myself, why would M$ take a step backwards?

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Last edited by Andy on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:28 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:21 pm

Posts
458
hmmm ....strange :? :?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:28 am 
Reply with quote
Staff
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:10 pm

Posts
2629

Location
Land of The Tea.

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Because they have only found out that vi$ta is useless :P

_________________
Image
| Personal site - Social links - PC setup | TF2 Game Servers |
Liking traps isn't gay, its not gay if it looks like a girl
I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「


Last edited by Gnome on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:29 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:21 pm

Posts
458
lol ^^ I love Vista :P


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:31 am 
Reply with quote
Staff
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:10 pm

Posts
2629

Location
Land of The Tea.

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
I cannot stand it.

_________________
Image
| Personal site - Social links - PC setup | TF2 Game Servers |
Liking traps isn't gay, its not gay if it looks like a girl
I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:33 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12408

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I've never been a fan of Vista myself. I hope M$ realise the mistakes they have made with Vista and fix it in the next version.

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:44 am 
Reply with quote
Staff
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:10 pm

Posts
2629

Location
Land of The Tea.

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Where to start with the problems with vi$ta?

_________________
Image
| Personal site - Social links - PC setup | TF2 Game Servers |
Liking traps isn't gay, its not gay if it looks like a girl
I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:28 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:10 pm

Posts
570

Location
New Zealand
Yes its coming, the new operating system, and

Quote:
"is likely to be a normal operating system like windows 98SE/ ME rather than Vista, which is a load of bull.
- This is entirely opinionated, and anyone who thinks Windows Me is normal... isn't.

Quote:
Far too complicated, too many features, and eats memory for breakfast/lunch and dinner."
- Windows is supposed to be able to do a wide variety of tasks, no such thing as too many features. Windows 98SE and Me are both far harder to use and less natural than Windows Vista is. Vista's life cycle is supposed to end in 2009-12 (iirc) and the writers judgment is based on it's performance on current computers, RAM will evolve and it will become easier to acquire RAM which is a larger size than today's RAM... this problem will disappear in a couple of years - also, If you have a computer with less than 512mb of RAM it's about due time for an upgrade.

Quote:
"The new operating system should work at its best on between 256/512 memory but rumor has it, it can operate well on a lot less memory."
- This seems to be a prediction that is based around the amount of RAM which would be acceptable for an OS today, by 2009 Microsoft will have developed new technologies, and RAM usage will stay high. Also, the only thing Microsoft is focusing on minimizing through MinWin is the kernel, there seems to be no information suggesting otherwise.

Quote:
"It will accept DVD writers"
- Vista does this already
Quote:
"and of course the internet."
- MinWin already has an http server application successfully running, this goes without saying.
Quote:
"and everyday software"
- this will be a necessity, in 2 years I expect I'll be using quite a bit of the same software.

Quote:
"Why has microsoft done this? This is easy to understand, they want there operating system to work on PDAs and tablets so the hard drives will be smaller in size and volume."
- It would be hard to create an OS where you interacted more naturally with your computer (this we do know is Microsoft's plan for Windows 7) for both a PDA and a PC as they're different sizes and are used in different environments, this would require a larger amount of harddrive space to hold different device drivers and interaction applications for different devices. Also, people will forever want drives which hold more content e.g. media and applications - a change in the size of Windows will not change the demand on increasing harddrive size.

Quote:
"Vista takes approx 2gb of space and needs 2gb of memory and a hard drive bigger than 80gb while Windows 7 needs a tenth of that to work up to speed..."
- Vista needs a harddrive bigger than 8gb, and works perfectly with less than 50gb - it's the programs, songs and content which take up the extra room.

Whoever wrote that needs to take a step back and think about where Microsoft has been focusing recently. Sure, Windows 7 will be faster and compatible with more devices which appear as time goes on, but ahhh... DirectX 10 requires like 50MB to install, but the OS is supposed to be about 200MB, where do all the device drivers and redesigned user interfaces fit into this, remembering there's only 2 - 4 years for the above to occur.

According to the author of this article Windows 7 will truly revolutionize the way we use our computers with only two years to finish MinWin and integrate whatever Vibe comes up with. This article suggests that Microsoft will pull off a miracle and make Vienna more than a major release, which simply is not true.

Quote:
Windows Vista was a major release, and Vienna will be a relatively minor, or interim, update. Microsoft is currently on a development path where every other Windows version is a major release.

- Paul Thurrot

_________________
Image


Last edited by Andrew on Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:22 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:51 am

Posts
150

Location
Bucharest, CA

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP1
ChasingVertigo wrote:
- Paul Thurrot


ChasingVertigo is Paul Thurrott?


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:46 am 
Reply with quote
Xammer wrote:
ChasingVertigo wrote:
- Paul Thurrot


ChasingVertigo is Paul Thurrott?

I'm sure Chasing Vertigo was meaning to be quoting Paul Thurrot,
so it should have read:-
Quote:
Windows Vista was a major release, and Vienna will be a relatively minor, or interim, update. Microsoft is currently on a development path where every other Windows version is a major release.

- Paul Thurrot.


Not

Quote:
Windows Vista was a major release, and Vienna will be a relatively minor, or interim, update. Microsoft is currently on a development path where every other Windows version is a major release.
- Paul Thurrot


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:46 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:10 pm

Posts
570

Location
New Zealand
Sorry guys, yeah I meant I was quoting Thurrot, I'm not that exciting.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:09 pm 
Reply with quote
pretty much that whole paragraph was pulled out of his ass

http://board.iexbeta.com/index.php?showtopic=71776&hl=

i would bet that he *just* saw the minwin video.. and jumped to some wild conclusions


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:54 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:10 pm

Posts
570

Location
New Zealand
That makes sense. Why the heck did I spend like an hour writing that response at 1 in the morning 8-) That's nearly as bizzare as running around a girl's only school's common room handing out lollipops while wearing a gstring and shouting "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" 8-)

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:34 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:25 am

Posts
590

Location
Israel
ChasingVertigo wrote:
Vista's life cycle is supposed to end in 2009-12 (iirc) and the writers judgment is based on it's performance on current computers, RAM will evolve and it will become easier to acquire RAM which is a larger size than today's RAM... this problem will disappear in a couple of years

That's a big problem. A mainstream OS should be usable on mainstream computers available when it comes out, not ones available a couple of years later.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:54 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:40 am

Posts
1513
What makes it difficult to develop is an OS for many different hardwares. Some works, some don't, unlike mac os x which runs only of a set of different hardware and thats it. It doesn't matter if it works on your hackitosh or you P3 laptop which reduces the problems showing up in the os.
Yes vista should run great on 2008/2009 built computers, but for your old P4 with 512MB DDR ram, it could be a headace.
Vista works great with 2 GB of DDR2 ram and a Core 2 / Athlon 64 X2, but anything older would find some problem with performance.

I believe Windows 7 should start off from Windows Server 2003 SP2 to elimate all of vista's codes, but starting in parallel with Windows Server 2008 isn't a bad idea (the core of the os is still good).
If microsoft start with the core and make everything an addon, windows shouldn't function as bad as if they are all intergrated as a solid product.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:43 am 
Reply with quote
I think that Windows 7 will be significantly better than Vista. Microsoft should have learnt a lot from Vista - mainly the fact that people won't automatically buy whatever junk they release, and they're not some invincible empire anymore. Lots of people are starting to take OS X and even Linux seriously, including computer illiterate people. Every single person in my family says that their next computer will be a Mac, and these are people who don't even know how to use word processors properly.

Microsoft used to have this idea that whatever they make will be a success, but that's just not true anymore. The last version of Windows that I actually liked was 2000.


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:47 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
seanneko wrote:
Lots of people are starting to take OS X and even Linux seriously, including computer illiterate people

So you're saying that OS X and Linux have not been "taken seriously" so far? That is nonsense. And OS X is well-suited for "computer illiterate" people. But let's not start an OS flame-war, there are already enough.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:53 am 
Reply with quote
empireum wrote:
So you're saying that OS X and Linux have not been "taken seriously" so far?


Not by a significant number of people, no. A few years ago I didn't know a single person with a Mac, now I know at least 10.

This graph clearly shows that sales have more than doubled in the past few years:
http://www.systemshootouts.org/images/m ... rly_sm.gif


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:32 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:25 am

Posts
590

Location
Israel
seanneko wrote:
Microsoft should have learnt a lot from Vista - mainly the fact that people won't automatically buy whatever junk they release, and they're not some invincible empire anymore.

People haven't been buying Windows (at least directly) for about a decade. Most Windows sales come from preinstalled systems, not boxed versions.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:18 am 
Reply with quote
ppc_digger wrote:
People haven't been buying Windows (at least directly) for about a decade. Most Windows sales come from preinstalled systems, not boxed versions.

Not meaning to nikpick, but I wouldn't say "most" sales are preinstalled,
maybe half...
Between ebay & several computer shops I know of & deal with, the sales
of outright direct windows purchases outweigh the preinstalled sales, even
though the OS's are OEM mostly, it doesn't stop them selling them over
the counter with or without hardware...
Again, not meaning to nitpick, maybe where you live is different..!


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:33 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
KenOath wrote:
ppc_digger wrote:
People haven't been buying Windows (at least directly) for about a decade. Most Windows sales come from preinstalled systems, not boxed versions.

Not meaning to nikpick, but I wouldn't say "most" sales are preinstalled,
maybe half...
Between ebay & several computer shops I know of & deal with, the sales
of outright direct windows purchases outweigh the preinstalled sales, even
though the OS's are OEM mostly, it doesn't stop them selling them over
the counter with or without hardware...
Again, not meaning to nitpick, maybe where you live is different..!

I agree. Of course a lot of people get their Windows license by buying a new PC that comes preinstalled with a version, but there are still cases where a copy is purchased conventionally, i.e. if you want to upgrade your OS or even downgrade it. I don't know if it's different in other countries, but in Germany, the separate sale of OEM versions is permitted and very common.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:38 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12408

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
In the UK, OEM sales aren't usually allowed, but you can get round it by buying a cheap mouse or keyboard for 75p or something.

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:39 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
Andy wrote:
In the UK, OEM sales aren't usually allowed, but you can get round it by buying a cheap mouse or keyboard for 75p or something.

Ah, okay, it was like this once here too, but then I think they weakened the law.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:18 pm 
Reply with quote
empireum wrote:
Andy wrote:
In the UK, OEM sales aren't usually allowed, but you can get round it by buying a cheap mouse or keyboard for 75p or something.

Ah, okay, it was like this once here too, but then I think they weakened the law.


It's the same in the US, and it's not 'law' it's Microsoft policy

unkle_stu wrote:
pretty much that whole paragraph was pulled out of his ass

http://board.iexbeta.com/index.php?showtopic=71776&hl=

i would bet that he *just* saw the minwin video.. and jumped to some wild conclusions


i knew it! by no cooincidence the minwin video is making a 2nd round

http://www.crn.com/software/204400536

the video is being taken way out of context..


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:20 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
unkle_stu wrote:
empireum wrote:
Andy wrote:
In the UK, OEM sales aren't usually allowed, but you can get round it by buying a cheap mouse or keyboard for 75p or something.

Ah, okay, it was like this once here too, but then I think they weakened the law.


It's the same in the US, and it's not 'law' it's Microsoft policy

In Germany, MS had to deal with a lawsuit regarding their restrictive policies on selling OEM software. A court forced them to allow individual sale of OEM products, so it has nothing to do with "policy" anymore.


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS