Windows Longhorn

Discuss Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, 10 and Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2016, 2019, Home Server, SBS 2008, SBS 2011.
remi.serriere
FTP Access

Post by remi.serriere »

Cool !

Well I found 5 minutes ago how to install the Framework 2.0 on Longhorn 4074. I think you know it but I just wanted to share that :
How to install MS .Net Framework 2.0 under Longhorn 4074

Kenneth
Donator

Post by Kenneth »

Download Link Please.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Here you go
Longhorn 08

remi.serriere
FTP Access

Post by remi.serriere »

Just a little more than 31 Mb... good work !

I'll reinstall LH4074 on VMWare or on an other PC, just for that!

marxo
FTP Access

Post by marxo »

Can anyone make a mirror if this download this server is bugging me all the time... Please...

Tnx
May our software be open-source, and our women closed-source.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

I upload it to the SP.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Hi, sorry to bump this, but I thought this was relevant to those interested in the project.

The project has been canceled for reasons that haven't been disclosed atm

You can read more here:
http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=12859

m4rkuz
FTP Access

Post by m4rkuz »

but hounsell, u forgot something to say

here is the last build,

proudly Present:

Beta 2

hounsells ftp: http://hounsell.biz/markus/Windows%20Lo ... ta%202.exe

joejoe thread:

http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=12861

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Yeh sorry, we were still talking about that when I posted the bad news

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

Please PM me if you want to know more.

remi.serriere
FTP Access

Post by remi.serriere »

It's a cool stuff... liked to play with it on my VM...
However I wasn't able to use it correctly on my desktop... nVidia crashed everything everytime I tried to install the driver...
Longhorn 4074 could be very amazing if these compatibility bugs could be fixed...

ikki-kun

Post by ikki-kun »

The imaes looks great, what version of longhorn is it?

is it diferent from longhorn reloaded?

I'm interested in this OS

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Its 4074, and its a patch, rather than the ISO of Longhorn Reloaded. Its a bit more advanced than LHR, but the project failed, and that was a fairly large bump. The project wasnt actually cancelled, but no more work has been produced since then, and its finally collapsed and considered dead.

ikki-kun

Post by ikki-kun »

hounsell wrote:Its 4074, and its a patch, rather than the ISO of Longhorn Reloaded. Its a bit more advanced than LHR, but the project failed, and that was a fairly large bump. The project wasnt actually cancelled, but no more work has been produced since then, and its finally collapsed and considered dead.

Ok, tnks, i saw how to use it

darthtk118
FTP Access

Post by darthtk118 »

I'm sorry to be another to bump this thread, but I have a question. If I would install what remains of this project, would I have a better chance at getting the DWM effects in 4074 to work on my newer graphics card from '06-'07, as I read that this had support for DX9 and DX10?

Smartie77
FTP Access

Post by Smartie77 »

it doesn't really matter what GPU u have.. because DWM in 4074 is software-rendered (xp model)until you install a LDDM driver ( and make LDDM work via registry tweakings ) . The bad is that no single LDDM driver for common cards exists and the vista wddm ones do not work.

So - if you have a card like Geforce 52xx, radeon 9250 and all higher, then it is just fine, but no accelerated Aero .. and believe me, software rendering is unusable in 4074.

It's for eyecatching purpose alone, but for work u have to turn glass/aero off and stick with slate or jade.

4074 can be rockstable if you know what to fix, but don't play with aero

here is interesting stuff for lddm in 4074:

http://www.aeroxp.org/board/lofiversion ... p?t60.html

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Smartie77 wrote:it doesn't really matter what GPU u have.. because DWM in 4074 is software-rendered (xp model)until you install a LDDM driver ( and make LDDM work via registry tweakings ) . The bad is that no single LDDM driver for common cards exists and the vista wddm ones do not work.

So - if you have a card like Geforce 52xx, radeon 9250 and all higher, then it is just fine, but no accelerated Aero .. and believe me, software rendering is unusable in 4074.

It's for eyecatching purpose alone, but for work u have to turn glass/aero off and stick with slate or jade.

4074 can be rockstable if you know what to fix, but don't play with aero

here is interesting stuff for lddm in 4074:

http://www.aeroxp.org/board/lofiversion ... p?t60.html
Aero in 4074 for me wasn't too bad. It ran fine without any problems and it was quite usable. However, newer graphics cards tend to cause problems with 4074, as you can find here

Smartie77
FTP Access

4074 and LDDM.

Post by Smartie77 »

well I have a Radeon 9550 AGP/128 which is officially "Designed for Windows Vista" and such a card was used even on some Winhec demos , so I thought I would be on the safe side

I get full Aero glass and all eyecandy stuff in vista, but on Longhorn 4074 each time I try sbctl.exe start I get Aero, but it seems to run in software mode and stocks,lags and its not usable to me. I tried all available tweaks,registry hacks and DWM settings. This happens when using the XP catalyst drivers.
Running 4074 with no dwm at all is fine, usable for everyday use.

I have Ati beta LDDM drivers for 5270 and 53xx,tried to hack them for 4074, they install but again it's not usable, either I get a black screen on bootup or LH uses the Vga-safe mode. Also no luck the animated bootscreen - I haven't seen it once ( and I play with 4074 since 2005.. ) .

I might switch the card for a Geforce 6200, but I doubt any success.