Guide: Changing Longhorn's major, minor and build number

Discuss Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, 10 and Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2016, 2019, Home Server, SBS 2008, SBS 2011.
Knabe91
FTP Access

Re: Guide: Changing Longhorn's major, minor and build number

Post by Knabe91 »

Yeah sorry about that I should have stated that you have to use little endian for the hex conversion. Also, I believe you can change newer Windows builds using this same method, but I haven't fully tested this, the only builds I've used are many of the Vista betas and Longhorn. The Vista betas use a different formatting and is actually easier to modify because the hex values are right next to each other.

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

Knabe91 wrote:Yeah sorry about that I should have stated that you have to use little endian for the hex conversion. Also, I believe you can change newer Windows builds using this same method, but I haven't fully tested this, the only builds I've used are many of the Vista betas and Longhorn. The Vista betas use a different formatting and is actually easier to modify because the hex values are right next to each other.
I've patched all kernel files for all Longhorn builds starting from 3683 till 5048.
5048 x64's kernel files are not have the same values in it self
-where was a server or x64 build I'd made both 5.1.2600 and 5.2.3790 versions of the files
totally = 114 patched files (included NTOSKRNL and NTKRNLMP from 4088 PE :) )

@Knabe91: How we can change revision number (number added by the service pack) almost everywhere this number is 0 except in Pre-Omega 13 build 3790 which has service pack 1 beta for server 2003 integrated in self by default, and has revision number 1232 ?
(See your PMs)

Knabe91
FTP Access

Post by Knabe91 »

Just to let anyone interested in changing the service pack number just use these registry entries. Copy into text file and rename files extension to .reg and replace "X" with the service pack number.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"CSDVersion"="Service Pack X"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Windows]
"CSDVersion"=dword:00000x00
"CSDReleaseType"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Windows]
"CSDVersion"=dword:00000x00
"CSDReleaseType"=dword:00000000

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

How I can change build number on XP Pre-Beta build 5.0.2211?

Knabe91
FTP Access

Post by Knabe91 »

Use imagecfg, I believe with the -v and -b commands on the kernel files.

Samuka
FTP Access

Post by Samuka »

It works with Server 2003? (Imagecfg not work with this version of Windows)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Samuka wrote:It works with Server 2003? (Imagecfg not work with this version of Windows)
I think yes.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Samuka
FTP Access

Post by Samuka »

Other thing: i discovered what msvcrt require nt version. its hard coded on ntdll. Anybody known how change this version on ntdll?

EDIT: i was try edit Server 2003 kernel and got ntoskrnl corrupted =\

For Author: Please, test you method on Server 2003. Thanks

Knabe91
FTP Access

Post by Knabe91 »

Ah yes this can happen sometimes so to fix this problem recalculate the checksum of the kernel file and it should work fine. Just Google search for PEChecksum.exe and use that to fix the checksum issues you are having.

Samuka
FTP Access

Post by Samuka »

This is AMAZING!

EDIT: DON'T CHANGE VERSION TO 6.0! THIS CHANGE BROKE DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE!

(FOR PEOPLES WHAT WANT IMPLEMENT THIS CHANGE ON SERVER 2003 OR XP)
Last edited by Samuka on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Knabe91
FTP Access

Post by Knabe91 »

To be honest I don't fully understand why Microsoft made the change to NT version 6.0 so early for Longhorn. I mean the majority of the Longhorn OS is still mostly NT 5.X!

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

Knabe91 wrote:To be honest I don't fully understand why Microsoft made the change to NT version 6.0 so early for Longhorn. I mean the majority of the Longhorn OS is still mostly NT 5.X!
I agree, They could have made it NT 5.2 or 5.5 rather than 6.0 until post reset, I wonder if Windows 9 or Blue would be NT 6.3 or 7.0 when it hits RTM, i know that Whistler used NT 5.01 until Build 2463 when it changed to NT 5.10
Last edited by MSUser2013 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knabe91
FTP Access

Post by Knabe91 »

Well with Whistler 5.01 and 5.1 meant the same thing to any program you ran on it. I think it was just a formatting change for winver.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

MSUser2013 wrote:
Knabe91 wrote:To be honest I don't fully understand why Microsoft made the change to NT version 6.0 so early for Longhorn. I mean the majority of the Longhorn OS is still mostly NT 5.X!
I agree, They could have made it NT 5.2 or 5.5 rather than 6.0 until post reset, I wonder if Windows 9 or Blue would be NT 6.3 or 7.0 when it hits RTM, i know that Whistler used NT 5.01 until Build 2463 when it changed to NT 5.10
Windows Blue is an updated Windows 8, so it almost certainly will use the version number 6.2 just as with the original version of Windows 8, but you're probably thinking of Windows 9, which is no doubt the version of Windows that the version number 6.3 corresponds to.

But anyway, though, I know that we're both going a bit offtopic here, so I will state the obvious reason why the version number 6.0 was chosen from the beginning: It was almost certainly chosen simply due to the fact that it was going to be version 6.0 once it was released, as well as to keep a common version number for the project as a whole, and to maintain that all builds, regardless of their development stage, were legalistically speaking the same operating system. There's very little doubt that that was the case, just as it was the case for most Windows development periods.

Also, what you mentioned for Whistler (Windows XP/Server 2003, obviously) was undoubtedly due to the fact that the version number 5.1 was almost certainly the plan from the beginning, but that it didn't actually shift from 5.01 (which seems to be an anagram of 5.1) to 5.1 until later as far as the hardcoded kernel was concerned. I don't personally think that Microsoft actually changed any plans at all during Whistler's development, but that it was simply a matter of changing the version number that is embedded into the kernel.

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

WinPC wrote:Also, what you mentioned for Whistler (Windows XP/Server 2003, obviously) was undoubtedly due to the fact that the version number 5.1 was almost certainly the plan from the beginning, but that it didn't actually shift from 5.01 (which seems to be an anagram of 5.1) to 5.1 until later as far as the hardcoded kernel was concerned. I don't personally think that Microsoft actually changed any plans at all during Whistler's development, but that it was simply a matter of changing the version number that is embedded into the kernel.
whistler/xp is 5.01, not 5.1. Just most things got recoded to say 5.1 rather than 5.01. However some things still exist that output 5.01..

Just like server 2003 is really 5.02, win7 is really 6.01, 8 is really 6.02...

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Well, they were really referring to what is reported in System Properties and in the About Windows dialog box.

Knabe91
FTP Access

Post by Knabe91 »

Guys feel free to post images or tell stories of any successes with this version change. I'm somewhat curious what everyone has been able to do :)

leomate
FTP Access

Post by leomate »

maxtorix wrote:
Knabe91 wrote:Yeah sorry about that I should have stated that you have to use little endian for the hex conversion. Also, I believe you can change newer Windows builds using this same method, but I haven't fully tested this, the only builds I've used are many of the Vista betas and Longhorn. The Vista betas use a different formatting and is actually easier to modify because the hex values are right next to each other.
I've patched all kernel files for all Longhorn builds starting from 3683 till 5048.
-where was a server or x64 build I'd made both 5.1.2600 and 5.2.3790 versions of the files

@Knabe91: How we can change revision number (number added by the service pack) almost everywhere this number is 0 except in Pre-Omega 13 build 3790 which has service pack 1 beta for server 2003 integrated in self by default, and has revision number 1232 ?
(See your PMs)
Can you upload your patched kernel files?

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

leomate wrote:
maxtorix wrote:

(See your PMs)
Yeah, I'll soon (today or tomorrow).

leomate
FTP Access

Post by leomate »

maxtorix wrote:
leomate wrote:
maxtorix wrote:

(See your PMs)
Yeah, I'll soon (today or tomorrow).
Okay, i'm waiting ;)

Knabe91
FTP Access

Post by Knabe91 »

You know you could try it out yourself. It's not that hard.

urban92
FTP Access

Post by urban92 »

DWM not working after patching kernel in 4074 :(

xZEROx
FTP Access

Post by xZEROx »

Will this work for Vista RC2 to change to RTM 6000?
I'm hunting for a very elusive build of Longhorn, build 3663 to be exact. Please PM me if you have any information whatsoever!

lukaszuk1995
FTP Access

Post by lukaszuk1995 »

How to enable DWM/Aero on Longhorn 4074 patched kernel ??
Intel Core i3-4170 @3.70GHz | MSI B85M-G43 | GeForce GTX 750 Ti | 16 GB RAM Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz | Patriot Blaze SSD 120 GB |

Intel Core2Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz | Gigabyte GA-945-GZM-S2 | AMD Radeon HD 5450 | 4 GB RAM | Samsung HDD 160 GB |

Knabe91
FTP Access

Post by Knabe91 »

It might, but I don't have a lot of experience with later Vista builds.