BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 8h, 45m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 2487MB of 5401MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Ideas for Windows 7        Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:28 pm 
Hello Guys and extraterastical Species,

Here can we collect some new Ideas, Concepts and also Fakes about the new upcoming (?) Windows 7.

My first Question:

Is there any information about the new Desktop System, faked pictures inclusive ?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I think they should make Windows 7 compatible with a very "complex" machine I know of called a "Garbage Disposal"

Along with the binaries, why don't they open-source it for this platform and toss-in the source code with it

:D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
benny1091 wrote:
I think they should make Windows 7 compatible with a very "complex" machine I know of called a "Garbage Disposal"

I'm guessing you mean a bin??? - LOL at that.

benny1091 wrote:
Along with the binaries, why don't they open-source it for this platform and toss-in the source code with it :D

Because it isn't in their economic interest to do that. Simple.

Personally I'd like to see a whole new UI design...
Something like this:

I'd also like to see hardware manufactures make some of the new technology we've been hearing about more mainstream : Flash
Boot sectors and hotpluggable ram to name two.

Also an Office suite with a completely universal "style" throughout all the applications would be nice.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Just thought I'd add a couple more Ideas I've had
I did have mockups for these but sadly they got lost in a hard drive failure.

[b]Perspective Desktop :[/b] Aero glass in Vista is supposed to give a sense of depth to your desktop by putting a shadow around windows. For me there are certain things that are annoying about the current implementation of this. What I'd like to see is a true 3D space. Not like some of these "3d Windowmanagers" where you wander round a room to find you applications, that would be counter-productive.

My Idea is that the active window should be in the foreground, this window should be light, easy to read with a light shadow around it. The windows in the background should add some perspective to the desktop. So a non-active window that is the same size as the active window would appear smaller...if you see what I mean. The non-active windows would also vary in darkness...they would be darker with a darker shadow than the current active window. I think this would help one to focus more on the current window.

"[b]The "Ribbon :[/b] This is partly taking the "ribbon" idea from Office 2007, and is in the screenshot in the post above. The ribbon is made up from various components. From the ribbon you can open files and programs, change computer settings (embedded control panel), access "bookmarks" - these can be local, remote or web, and select which "gadgets" you want displayed on your desktop.

Each component of the ribbon is fully undockable and can be placed where ever you want it on your desktop. So you can have your gadgets at the bottom of your screen, your favourite programs down the left hand side and your system tray at the top of your screen, for example.

The ribbon would also adapt to open applications. Kind of like how the top bar on a Mac displays the menus for the active application. The ribbon would do the same but in a more graphical way. This would entirely replace the "File | Edit | View etc..." menus.

This sort of set up would also allow for a "real" full screen feature. So when you maximise an application it would take up all of the available screen space. If you want the ribbon back, simply hit the "Windows Key" on your keyboard and it will be displayed at the top of your screen with the current application's options. Alternatively if you only require it briefly you can hit a key combination (of which I have not thought yet) and it will "overlay" at the top of your application, then dissapear once you have selected what you wanted to select.

[b]Live Desktop :[/b] Why should your desktop just be one folder? This is something I could never understand. Currently, in Vista my Desktop serves no purpose apart from showing me a pretty picture, which is all very nice but not too functional.

Why can't the desktop be dynamic? So I can browse my hard disk through it? Display instant search results through it? From the ribbon you would be able to select where you wanted to browse. The folder you asked for would then be displayed directly onto your desktop...If you wanted to keep this folder available for a while, you would be able to undock it and leave it on your desktop in a "gadget" format. You could also turn it into a proper window if you so wished.

Other Ideas will be added as I perfect them...included in these is a new format for installing applications!

I will also try to get screenshots of these ideas up asap.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:17 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Wow, I actually look forward to seeing some mock ups of these. They sound so cool and very useful!

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Well here is a mockup of "Perspective Desktop"

Still working on the window borders, and re-thinking the ribbon style a bit. Making things a bit "Glassier"

Feeback welcomed!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Another mockup done:

This one shows how the "Live Desktop" works:

The current directory that is open is "My Documents > Assignments".

At the bottom left of the screen is a "gadget" for the "My Music" directory. If you click on that it will open up below where the "assignments" folder is already displayed on the desktop. or you can "gadetize" the "assignments" folder while you browse the "My Music" folder.

Or you can view them both simoultaneously.

If that makes sense?

Next I will make a screenshot of how the live desktop can work in conjunction with current applications.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ideas for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:07 pm 
Permanently Banned

Bradley Miller wrote:
Hello Guys and extraterastical Species

Oh, thanks for noticing :)

and benny: Windows is partially open source, it's under a shared source license, since the EU ruling. The .NET CLI source code is under a same license, where you can license rights to the source code for a lot of money. If I was rich, I would license the code for ReactOS or Wine. Either one would be fine, as they pretty much share a lot of source. It's similar to AT&T UNIX and how Sun and Berkely built up Solaris and BSD.

Oh, Tim, why does that topbar on your mockups remind me too much of GNOME?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ideas for Windows 7        Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Zimmy wrote:
Oh, Tim, why does that topbar on your mockups remind me too much of GNOME?

I won't when I've finished :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:19 am 
Donator

Tim, nice mockups :D

One thing i'd absolutely love in the next version of Windows is really integrated messaging. I know Microsoft can't really do it because it's anti-competitive, but the integrated IM, video conferencing and email that was in that Longhorn concept video were damn sweet. Basically i'd like my OS to know that I have email, or that someone's trying to contact me, or that i'm trying to talk to someone.

Take the Welcome screen in XP/Vista for instance. It has a "new mail" notification but it's practically useless ... I want to know how many IM's i've received, how many missed VoIP calls and voicemail i've recieved etc. Plus, apps should be aware that I've just received a VoIP call. Perhaps Media Player would pause my downloaded TV when a new call came in.

I think your contacts have a place on the desktop... if you had your "friends" (ie. people from your contact list who you talk to often) as icons on the desktop for easy access, that would be awesome. You could click on them and a menu would show allowing you to choose whether you want to IM, skype or video-conference. New IMs could come up as speech bubbles coming from your contacts.

Plus from there it would be easy to integrate options where you drag a file onto your contact and it emails them the file (or sends with IM), or drag a window onto their icon and it shares the app with them (ie. for collaboration).

There's my rant-on-the-future for the day! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
^^This is all part of my concept! I feel the same way about an integrated shell / desktop.

Things I would have integrated into the shell / Desktop are:
1. File Browsing (as in the mockups)
2. Web Services inc. Web-based gadgets, Mail, IM, VOIP, Media Player, Notepad / stick notes sort of thing etc.....
3. Settings (Control panel sort of thing)
4. Application Management

The other thing I'd like to see rid of in future versions of Windows is the registry. I belive it is the source of a lot of slow-downs etc... It's all very well Microsoft putting more and more features in place to stop it getting clogged up etc... (Vista), but why not irradicate the problem at the root?

Yes there would probably be incompatibility issues with current programs, but why couldn't Windows have "Legacy Registry" for those applications that use it? Eventually this could probably be phased out as there become less and less registry-dependant programs on the market. There's always a VM.

Ahh, thats something else. Built in virtualisation technology would be great!

Anyway some more screens of my idea showing perspective desktop and live desktop:

Please excuse the large fonts in Firefox, and the window borders. Still working on them :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Another idea: what about Windows coming in "modules".

So you could have:

Base Module : This would give you a base operating system. You can browse the web, listen to music, write emails etc....

Office Module : This module would add-on to the Base module, and provide office applications including : Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Presentation Suite, Database, Desktop Publishing, email client etc...

Media Module : This module would add-on to the base module, it would provide applications to play, record and edit Music, Videos, Presentations and image editing tools etc...

Web Module : This module would add-on to the base module. This module would give you some basic web editing applications, FTP client, 1gb Webspace, webmail account (a bit like Apple's .Mac thing)

Developer's Module : Again this would plug into the base module, giving a whole suite of web and application development programs and compilers etc... Aswell as including a fully-featured Virtual Machine Program

I'm sure you could think of a lot more.

This way people would only pay for what they want... OEMs could also supply "home PCs" with modules such as Base, Office, Media etc... or Office workstations could just come with Base and Office.

On the downside, if only Microsoft could create modules, it could lead to further monopolisation and regular charges.

If they left it open so other companies could make modules we might end up with conflicting modules and a PC that won't boot etc...

Of course you would still be able to install 3rd party applications, but they may rely on some of the other modules being present.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:42 am 
Admin edit: Image removed. You should know the rules. Images should be uploaded to the BA image uploader.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
That is nice....however I think it is still to close to the ui of vista.

I think (hope) Vienna will be very very different.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:12 pm 
Permanently Banned

hougtimo: Why not just take BSD and start from that?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
My dearest suggestion for Win7: Strip of the bloated fat and we'll get next version to fit in under 300MB :D

It would be smaller codebase, ie less errors to take out, should be less bugs, and wouldnt affect compatability with previous version.

the socalled "pretty" themes and junk, can be made optional, and optimised to not need nVidia 12th gen gfx-card

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Zimmy wrote:
hougtimo: Why not just take BSD and start from that?

8-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:56 am 
FTP Access

I have an idea, they should make a spinning windows logo when you run a program. The rest of the screen should be faded out and the animation should be centered in the middle of the screen

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:08 pm 
Donator

Randomiser wrote:
I have an idea, they should make a spinning windows logo when you run a program. The rest of the screen should be faded out and the animation should be centered in the middle of the screen

So when you launch an application it'll stop you from doing anything else until it's loaded? If I start a music player while reading a web page, will it prevent me from viewing it until the music player starts? Sounds like Windows.

No offense, but that is exactly what I hate about Vista. It just adds eye candy (and useless features) without any regard to productivity or usefulness. Why make window borders almost completely transparent? It impairs productivity. Apple tried that with the early releases of OSX, and later removed it, because it got in the way. Apparently, Microsoft only copies 5 year old software, or they would have noticed the transparent borders were removed :lol:.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:53 pm 
FTP Access

ppc_digger wrote:
Randomiser wrote:

So when you launch an application it'll stop you from doing anything else until it's loaded? If I start a music player while reading a web page, will it prevent me from viewing it until the music player starts? Sounds like Windows.

Yes, that does sound as though it would get in the way, though they could just have an animated cursor like the spinning one in OS X but with the round spinning thing being the Windows "orb" - it could get faster as the app got closer to loading, starting out as a slowly spinning Start Orb until it was just a blur of colours, that would be quite cool!

ppc_digger wrote:
Apple tried that with the early releases of OSX, and later removed it, because it got in the way. Apparently, Microsoft only copies 5 year old software, or they would have noticed the transparent borders were removed :lol:.

Everyone "copies" each other, for instance Apple copied Vista's semitransparent taskbar for Leopard's menu bar.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
You know... what I'd like to see in the next version of Windows, is more behinds the scenes work in the form of optimization and slimming down, more customizeable installation, throw out some of the 5 yearold (and more) drivers (make them available as downloads instead) and more work on the actual security against hackers and keyloggers and whatnot.

I couldn't care less if they went totally back to Win98 look and feel. Actually, that's a lie, it would make me really really happy. But I don't care about what it looks like, as long as I have a good feeling when actually USING the crap.

Which is why I enjoy the AmigaOS. No fancy nonsense in the basic OS like Aero, but customizeable to the point of ludicrousness (when you know what patches and tools you want/need)

Top  Profile