BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 8h, 46m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 2485MB of 5401MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: WAIK tool        Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:14 am 
FTP Access

Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
So, I've obtained a new toy (really not new, but only a very few people are talking about it), the WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit) from M$. It lets you mount .wim images to a folder, create your own custom Vista install. Has anyone seen or used this b4? ('cause I'm not really familiar with it).
Oh yes, I could upload it if required (I wouldn't consider it warez, since it's a beta software intended for use by a tight group of lucky testers). I've got the version designed for Vista 5600, but it seems to work with 5728 binaries too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:06 am 
FTP Access

Is this the thing that's called "Solution Accelerators" on Connect? The files are described as the following:

Quote:
BDDVista_Full_x86.msi: This file includes the BDD solution guidance and automation. BDDVista_Full_x86.msi is intended for installation on x86 hosts and requires BDDVista_Full_x86.cab.

BDDVista_Full_x86.cab: This file contains dependent and related tools and guidance, including: Windows AIK with Windows Deployment Services (WDS) and Windows PE 2.0, User State Migration Tool (USMT) 3.0, Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT) 5.0, Enterprise Learning Framework guide and a deployment whitepaper targeted to mid-sized organizations. BDDVista_Full_x86.cab is intended for installation on x86 hosts and requires BDDVista_Full_x86.msi.

I haven't downloaded it though, as my hard drive's pretty full at the moment :( Those files alone are about 750 MB and then you need room for the wim files and everything! How far can you customise the Vista installation with this? What about the "Windows PE 2.0" that they say is included - can you make your own PE with this or anything cool like that?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:42 pm 
Sorry for being thick, but whats a .wim image?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:57 pm 
FTP Access

Hey mate, you're not thick! :) The WIM image is just the large file on the Vista DVD containing all of the Vista installation files. While on the CD for previous versions of Windows NT all the files are in a folder, most of them usually compressed, if you look on the Vista DVD you'll see that the vast majority of the size of the DVD consists of the single file install.wim. Vista uses a new image-based installation system (that's why Setup can be so quick compared with XP) where it copies an image of the Windows installation to your hard drive and then sets it up. If you can edit the .wim file you can of course change how Windows is installed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:04 pm 
FTP Access

FLP is an image based install, do you think it will work on that?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:09 pm 
FTP Access

I don't see why not, if its WIM file is the same format as Vista's one. I really liked FLP when I tried it in VMware (seems to do everything XP does, but without IE and very low memory usage with a bit of service tweaking), but think it should be more optimised by default. For instance, why is Themes enabled by default on an OS intended for "legacy PCs"? FLP would be quite a good starting point for a custom OS. I also noticed there's files in System32 on it that could go, if you wanted one for small hard drives.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:27 am 
FTP Access

So the WAIK lets you do unattended installations and custom tweaks?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:10 am 
Donator

Yes. MS even offers a really good documentation for the WAIK. Search for "WAIK RC1 documentation" or something like that, it's in .CHM format and describes the scenarios where this might be useful quite well. It also gives a good introduction on using and building Windows PE 2.0 images.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:11 am 
Donator

Is there a version that could handle Build 5840?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:04 am 
Donator

There is an RC2 version of the WAIK designed for Vista RC2 – I'd try that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:23 am 
Donator

where can I get this WAIK? The BBD-Beta is still for RC1

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:31 am 
Donator

I got mine from the WinBeta IRC...

@Mods: If it's not okay to say that, tell me and I'll immediately remove the message.

Top  Profile