BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 20h, 44m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 2702MB of 4341MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Vista is driving me insane...        Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:16 pm 
Donator

Okay, somehow, Vista has lost my network. If I boot Vista normally, it will boot up without wifi connectivity. The wifi adapter is enabled, and its there, but it just doesn't connect. There also seems to be some service that hogs the CPU from startup, as svchost.exe is using 100% of both of my cores. After rebooting a few times, the network will suddenly start working. It certainly isn't a range problem, even though Vista's troubleshooter suggests I move my computer closer to an access point. However, my computer hasn't moved from when it used to work, there is nothing else in the way, and the AP hasn't moved. The network always works when booting into Safe Mode With Networking Support, so I can rule out hardware failure there. If it boots up without networking (in normal mode), and I restart it, it will hang at shutdown.

I'm going to format and install XP pretty soon as I'm totally over this terrible OS, but has anybody got any ideas about what could be causing the issue?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
I have no idea what is causing this isue. I never had that problem. However, i have a lot of other problems: instant reboots, gpu driver often fails, sound works only on 2.0 (it should be 5.1) and it was month before i finally got it installed.
Good decision - XP is much better than Vista. Im never going to install it again :evil:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:47 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Ive had that a lot.
I might go to win xp pro :P
I hate vista!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:11 pm 
FTP Access

Do you have the wireless service in services.msc set to Automatic? (I can't remember what it's called, something like WLAN-something)

Is it maybe a poor-quality driver? A lot of hardware manufacturers haven't caught up yet, and it could even be a driver other than the one for the wireless card that is acting up. Have you made sure all your drivers are the absolute latest version? (don't trust Windows Update, it sometimes gives you old drivers)

As for the svchost problem, you can narrow it down by finding out which services are running under that instance of svchost - I'm pretty sure Process Explorer tells you. Are you using ReadyBoost? Also try disabling Automatic Updates, as that sometimes causes these spikes.

If all else fails, maybe try a fresh load of Vista, get your wireless working and then install things one-by-one to see which one stops it from working. Going back to XP should be a last resort, as you will most probably have to use Vista at some stage.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:54 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Dual boot?

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:43 am 
Donator

I had the same problem with vista on my laptop it would not connect to my wireless I would have to reboot and that would fix the problem until I reboot again I found a update for it but can't remember where it is Look at thehotfixshare.net i do not have anymore problem with the wireless

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:55 pm 
Donator

when i updated my nforce drivers, sometimes my wired network wouldn't connect (even though it was pluged in) until i restarted (even then it sometimes wouldn't work). but i rolled back the drivers and told windows update not to install it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:22 am 
Donator

this is a bet old, but i must comment
vista is one prethetic os

since i never used the the rtm build of vista x64, i gave it a try
first of all it took so much space, then activate wont work caused i used it on an x86 copy, so i would have to call them.
I was going to do so, but wait there's 22 update patches for the os, so I waited till its finished and eboot.
the next thing i know the blue screen of death during booting

oh microsoft please, what on earth is wrong with you?

oh well, I will uninstall a driver later, but vista is horrible :(

Top  Profile