Vienna 32bit or 64

Discuss Windows Vista, 7, 8.x, 10 and Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2016, 2019, Home Server, SBS 2008, SBS 2011.
saurabh
FTP Access

Vienna 32bit or 64

Post by saurabh »

will vienna be only made for 64 bit systems?

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

I don't think anyone knows at this point.
-Jeff

ZSS9393
FTP Access

Post by ZSS9393 »

Hopefully not, the Core Duo and Core Solo are 32-bit still, and there are a lot of laptops still on the markit with these. They should have skipped the Core Duo and Solo and went strait to the Core 2.
http://ubuntu.com
^Ubuntu 8. New installer. Why the heck didn't they do this years ago?

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

I know that next server version of Windows (after Longhorn Server and Centro) will be only x64 but next client version will be propably x86 and x64. I read it somewhere i don't remember where but information came out of one of MS's engeeners blog...

saurabh
FTP Access

Post by saurabh »

FiFi wrote:I know that next server version of Windows (after Longhorn Server and Centro) will be only x64 but next client version will be propably x86 and x64. I read it somewhere i don't remember where but information came out of one of MS's engeeners blog...
same here i remember seeing that, it might have been wikipedia or something.

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

I think here is my source: http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windo ... lient.aspx

tristan
Donator

Post by tristan »

Do you remember they wanted to make longhorn only 64bt? Only because most of the people who were beta testing still had 32bit systems they released the beta's/alpha's in 32bt.

Xammer
FTP Access

Post by Xammer »

Remember the smooth transition from 16-bit to 32-bit? That was possible because most CPUs at that time (1992-1996) were already 32-bit. So for a future Windows version to be released in 64-bit only, the 64-bit CPUs must first replace the older, 32-bit ones, which is already happening (Athlon 64, Core 2 etc.).

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

Xammer wrote:Remember the smooth transition from 16-bit to 32-bit?
Don't forget that the entire market place was exponentially growing...

Yet I think that the biggest problem for x64 is that OEMs are not selling people x64 bit OSs.
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Frozenport wrote:Yet I think that the biggest problem for x64 is that OEMs are not selling people x64 bit OSs.
They probably would if there was enough compatibility with 64-bit OSes from hardware and software manufacturers - of course OEMs won't pre-install x64 when their customer is going to be ringing up the next day to complain that something doesn't work with their new PC. It will take a few more years until 64-bit becomes more established. There's no way MS could move to 64-bit-only client OSes for a long time yet, given that a lot of modern PCs and even quite a few of those still on the market today are 32-bit.

srstakey

Post by srstakey »

Now the problem is that a lot of people are quite happy with their 1.6 GHz P4 systems (or older) and have no intention of changing...so all they are going to do is complain when they find out their programs of choice are being developed for 64-bit only. This really could be a nightmare....and I agree with R2 ^ that OEMs are going to have a hard time with all of the people who can't get drivers, etc.

You know, I love drawing this analysis...between how Apple can do whatever they want with their systems because they have control of the hardware, unlike all of the problems Windows people are having because of freedom! Kind of a shame.

Frozenport
FTP Access

Post by Frozenport »

srstakey wrote:Now the problem is that a lot of people are quite happy
Yes, that is a horrid porblem for the evil hardware industry . Although honestly it is

Many computers that OEM's sell have all the x64 drivers... I recently baught a Dell for a friend and installed x64 with no problems...

If the ability to purchase the system is almost inexistant the demand will linger...

I am still angry for Microsoft's inability to make decent use of the x64... So much so that I am using Gentoo x64 as I am typing this...

blahsucks-two
FTP Access

Post by blahsucks-two »

Microsoft seems to be the only one plagued by this, fortunately..

Apple has tight hardware control, so they can smoothly transition, and Linux is mostly installed by technical people, so they can do the prior research on hardware and/or fix the drivers themselves. Eventually, Microsoft will have to upgrade anyway, or they'll be left in the dust..

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

heopefully it would be still x86 and x64
I still don;t like x64 os, I find vista x86 alot better than x64.
but microsoft wants x64 to be in mainstream and the only way to do it is to elminate x86.

Frozenport
FTP Access

Post by Frozenport »

XDude wrote:heopefully it would be still x86 and x64
I still don;t like x64 os, I find vista x86 alot better than x64.
but microsoft wants x64 to be in mainstream and the only way to do it is to elminate x86.
I suppose it is a matter of perspective; that is from where I am looking Microsoft has not made enough steps toward x64 and almost tottally abandoned ia64. For example, Microsoft has not made good on its promise of a x64 office (that actually has x64 features not just a 19.2 meg compatibility patch) nor has Microsoft made enough (or any) of the Windows Services truly x64. This a direct foil to its competition that releases all the new stuff compiled with x64 libraries that are far more apt to take advantage of the new architecture.

The people who are interested in making x64 the mainstream are infact not software developers; who mostly are satisifed with writting slow code aslong as it pays the bills and certainly don't want to re-code - but rather hardware companies. Microsoft has the most to loose from this transition because it clearly is unable to handel x64 not to mention both 32bit and x64.

When the quesiton was to transition to 32bit, it is important to remember Microsoft had one of the only functioning 32bit OSs - thus leaving its feable competition in the dust. This is not the case today...

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

maybe if they made it as x64 only or focus on x64 then recode it for x86, then they will have a better os. Windows xp x64 was a great os, it works smoothly and gives me far less trouble than vista. Taking about it, I have yet to install vista x64 rtm after my exprence with vista x64 betas.
I'm looking forward to service pack 1 witch should help vista out alot.

There is no point to work on vienna until the fix the problaemsin vista, if the use the same codes from vista, then i sense vienna a ever worst windows.

blahsucks-two
FTP Access

Post by blahsucks-two »

It's not exactly fair to compare the modern situation to the NT/95 transition. For one, Microsoft is dealing with a wider and less informed audience. Not only that, there are many more CPU models to deal with, from different companies. There's not as much of a need to upgrade, so many people stick with their Pentium 4s from 2003. By the time Windows 95 was released, the 386 had been out since 1986, so most people had upgraded already. 64-bit processors have been out for a while, but there are still many stragglers. Perhaps Microsoft should attempt to hurry the process along by providing bonuses/price cuts to OEMs which provide complete 64-bit support.

zchri9
Donator

Post by zchri9 »

im pretty sure it will be 64 bit from what i know